Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Freeport, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-16-2021, 05:32 AM

This one's been around awhile.

Jer

Views: 363
08-16-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spray some clear coat on it and go. Thanks for posting.
08-16-2021, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Spent the summer between my junior and senior years in high school push starting one of those that belonged to a friend. We knew where every hill was for parking. Don't see them around as much now. I agree with Mike, clear coat and leave it.
08-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Vivid image!
An old '68, perhaps?
I had a '62 of exactly the same color--and in the same process of becoming "reddish". Always fixing it, trouble starting it, but it went everywhere.
Thanks for the memory photo.
Angky.

08-17-2021, 06:42 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Spray some clear coat on it and go. Thanks for posting.
I'm glad you like 'em, Mike. The car may not shine, but it's a survivor!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Spent the summer between my junior and senior years in high school push starting one of those that belonged to a friend. We knew where every hill was for parking. Don't see them around as much now. I agree with Mike, clear coat and leave it.
In my college and grad school days, Beetles were like belly buttons - they were everywhere. Thanks for looking.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Vivid image!
An old '68, perhaps?
I had a '62 of exactly the same color--and in the same process of becoming "reddish". Always fixing it, trouble starting it, but it went everywhere.
Thanks for the memory photo.
Angky.
Thank you! I'm glad a stimulated your memories - pleasant ones I hope!

Jer
08-17-2021, 07:01 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great looking car. I agree with the others. Coat it and leave it. Friend of mine had one in high school. Early '70's model I think. Bright orange. Was hard to miss Chris when he was coming down the road.
08-17-2021, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Great looking car. I agree with the others. Coat it and leave it. Friend of mine had one in high school. Early '70's model I think. Bright orange. Was hard to miss Chris when he was coming down the road.
Hey, Dave - for all I know it may have been coated with something already.

I never drove a Beetle (rode in several), but I did test drive a couple of Karmann Ghias back around '70. The Ghia didn't have enough juice for me in those days (or these days, for that matter ), but it was beautifully made.

Jer

08-17-2021, 09:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Jer,

Reminds me of my first car. It was a 1961 VW Beetle...or Type 1, as Volkswagen called it. It was a great car. Reliable, durable, could take a licking and keep on ticking as the Timex adverts used to say.

My dad wanted me to look at two cars. One a '64 Morris .

Google Image Result for https://bestcarmagz.net/sites/default/files/1964-morris-oxford-1320590-1994273.jpg

It had a beautiful interior, plush, thick seats...appeared to be covered in leather. Woodgrain dash. A proper car as my dad would say. It had a 4 speed manual transmission and I think a 1.6 liter four cylinder, which when it started up, issued a cloud of blue smoke, from the tail pipe.

On to the next car....

Which was owned by a a very good friend of my family . It was an Oldsmobile 88, with a 371 cubic inch Olds Rocket V8. It was a beautiful car, loads of power and I knew in my 18 year old mind, that I couldn't afford the gas. Rocket 8's had a lot of get up and go, but also a lot of weight and ate a lot of fuel.

The third car was a '61 VW at a VW dealer. It was blue, had a top speed of 72 mph and accelerated to 60 mph in about 30 seconds. Got great MPG's, was very reliable, durable and cold in -30 weather. I bought it, kept it for about 2 years, traded it in on a '67 Camaro RS coupe, with a 327 cube V8, 4 speed. It went like the blazes, but ate a lot of gas.

So I traded it in on a '69 VW Deluxe, 1500 cc engine, 4 speed. Took this one to the drags...19.4 seconds @ 68.5 mph. Came in second.

I kept this one for about 14 months, sold it back to the VW dealer, as I needed the money to attend university, which I did for around 10 years, full time, summer courses, night courses..

No car for awhile.

Les
08-18-2021, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Jer,

Reminds me of my first car. It was a 1961 VW Beetle...or Type 1, as Volkswagen called it. It was a great car. Reliable, durable, could take a licking and keep on ticking as the Timex adverts used to say.

My dad wanted me to look at two cars. One a '64 Morris . . . . . . . . . . It had a beautiful interior, plush, thick seats...appeared to be covered in leather. Woodgrain dash. A proper car as my dad would say. It had a 4 speed manual transmission and I think a 1.6 liter four cylinder, which when it started up, issued a cloud of blue smoke, from the tail pipe.

On to the next car....

Which was owned by a a very good friend of my family . It was an Oldsmobile 88, with a 371 cubic inch Olds Rocket V8. It was a beautiful car, loads of power and I knew in my 18 year old mind, that I couldn't afford the gas. Rocket 8's had a lot of get up and go, but also a lot of weight and ate a lot of fuel.

The third car was a '61 VW at a VW dealer. It was blue, had a top speed of 72 mph and accelerated to 60 mph in about 30 seconds. Got great MPG's, was very reliable, durable and cold in -30 weather. I bought it, kept it for about 2 years, traded it in on a '67 Camaro RS coupe, with a 327 cube V8, 4 speed. It went like the blazes, but ate a lot of gas.

So I traded it in on a '69 VW Deluxe, 1500 cc engine, 4 speed. Took this one to the drags...19.4 seconds @ 68.5 mph. Came in second.

I kept this one for about 14 months, sold it back to the VW dealer, as I needed the money to attend university, which I did for around 10 years, full time, summer courses, night courses..

No car for awhile.

Les

Les, I think you've had more cars than I have and I've owned a bunch of 'em over the years.

I think I've told you (maybe more than once ), that I learned to drive in a Morris Minor convertible that my dad bought new in '58.

I was in school for an extended period, as well: four years undergrad and four years in grad school. These were followed by three years of active military service at the US Army's Advanced Materials Laboratory, where I did basic research on synthesis and properties of new polymers. I wore the green suit, but it was essentially a post doc during which I published thee papers and learned a lot about materials science. So for me, it took 11 years beyond high school before I got a "real" job.

Jer