Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Snakes, Fish and Water
Lens: Sigma 170-500 DG Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Hendrix Nature Preserve ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 08-17-2021, 06:32 PM

Interesting effects from taking pictures of snakes and fish in water. Hope you like them.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 753
08-17-2021, 07:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, I'll have to say that I am very glad that it was you who was there taking those pictures of those snakes!
The fish, I'm good with. But snakes!!!
They are very fascinating images, though (in a macabre way, I have to confess)!
That top image really achieved its goal of getting a reaction from a potent image!
Angky.
08-17-2021, 07:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Well, I'll have to say that I am very glad that it was you who was there taking those pictures of those snakes!
The fish, I'm good with. But snakes!!!
They are very fascinating images, though (in a macabre way, I have to confess)!
That top image really achieved its goal of getting a reaction from a potent image!
Angky.
I recall that you do not like snakes from a previous comment. These are non poisonous. I was more interested in the light and water in the pictures. The bubbles, ripples and water dripping into the pool. Of course the snake looking up has some impact. Thank you much for your comments. They are always welcome.
08-17-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any idea what species of Snake you captured? They didn't appear too fussed that you were shooting them

08-18-2021, 05:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Any idea what species of Snake you captured? They didn't appear too fussed that you were shooting them
I believe that they are diamond back water snakes. I was up above them shooting from a bridge on the walking trail. Probably not close enough for them to be concerned. Thanks for your question and comments.
08-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going back and re-looking at the images, I focused on the water. That first image, where the creature has the top of his head out of the water,--that image "really works"! That ripple effect around his head, and the sudden clarity of non-filtering water, really does catch the eye in a hurry!
Good one!
Angky.
08-18-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Going back and re-looking at the images, I focused on the water. That first image, where the creature has the top of his head out of the water,--that image "really works"! That ripple effect around his head, and the sudden clarity of non-filtering water, really does catch the eye in a hurry!
Good one!
Angky.
Thanks against again for your positive comments.
Mike

08-18-2021, 05:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the first one with its head poking out. Always interesting to see what others see.
08-18-2021, 05:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks against again for your positive comments.
Mike
Keep shooting snakes, Mike! Don't let my herpetological phobia stop you from making those heart-pounding images!
Angky.
08-18-2021, 05:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
I really like the first one with its head poking out. Always interesting to see what others see.
Thanks for viewing and sharing your comments. The first photo is more direct, like the snake looking into your eyes.
08-19-2021, 09:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
The first photo is more direct, like the snake looking into your eyes.
The lower left quadrant of that photo would make an interesting crop. I love the shots; it's just a suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

The water snakes here in Ontario can be quite aggressive. When I was a kid I had one chase my canoe, and other times I've had them rush at me when I've surprised them along the shores of lakes. They're relatively harmless, non-venomous as you said, but I still wouldn't want a bite from one.
08-20-2021, 05:18 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
The lower left quadrant of that photo would make an interesting crop. I love the shots; it's just a suggestion. Thanks for sharing.

The water snakes here in Ontario can be quite aggressive. When I was a kid I had one chase my canoe, and other times I've had them rush at me when I've surprised them along the shores of lakes. They're relatively harmless, non-venomous as you said, but I still wouldn't want a bite from one.
Thanks for all of your comments and the suggestion. A crop like that would have the snakes head and eyes more focused on the viewer. These water snakes can also.be aggressive and will bite. In this viewing area, they are about 10 feet below.
08-20-2021, 06:53 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cool series, Mike. I like how you captured the snakes, most of which was underwater, in the entirety. Every time I've tried to photograph a snake, you really can't see much of anything in the result.

Jer
08-20-2021, 08:35 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Cool series, Mike. I like how you captured the snakes, most of which was underwater, in the entirety. Every time I've tried to photograph a snake, you really can't see much of anything in the result.

Jer
Thanks for your positive comments. Glad you liked them. The water was not very deep and they on the downside of a small dam on the stream.
08-20-2021, 11:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting these interesting-perspective images. No thanks for reminding me of dreams I've had where I'm walking in the creek near where I grew up and seeing Water Moccasins every three feet.