Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
First Car Show Since Before the Pandemic . . . . . . . . .
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Freeport, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-19-2021, 07:00 AM

. . . . . . . turned out to be disappointing, but a few cars were worth a shot or two.

Jer

First-generation Chevy Monte Carlo - I love the clean, clear lines that were lost in the fussy, "formal" lines of later generations:

Chevy Nova (circa 1970). I've always liked this car, for some reason. In fact, in '71 I ordered a Nova SS 350, but - after I waited patiently for over two months - Generous Motors informed me that the Nova spring production was suspended early and my car wouldn't be built. :

Plymouth or Chrysler Prowler. I'd completely forgotten this car ever existed, so I had to Google Prowler info. The car was introduced as a Plymouth in '99 with a 214 HP V6; apparently the Prowler was off the market for a year, then reappeared as a Chrysler with a more powerful motor (252 HP). The example pictured here apparently has been customized with paint, wheels and removal of the car's original front bumper:

Views: 499
08-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Some very good looking classics in this series
08-19-2021, 07:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice wheels all around Jer. I go to a car show here (cruise nite) in Saugus on Tuesday evenings. I will post some shots later.Be well.--charliezap
08-19-2021, 07:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I always liked the of the original Monte Carlo for the same reasons that you listed. Nice shots.

08-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I dunno, man, it looks like a super spreader event to me! But on a more serious note, I haven't been to one for couple years now. And your post reminded me to do a search. And I see a car shows advertised this weekend.
08-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice pix, Jer.

I agree with your assessment of the Monte Carlo and the Nova from the early '70's.

At the time a buddy bought(new) a black '70 Monte Carlo with a 350 4 barrel (300 HP) and another buddy bought new, a '70 Nova SS (dark green, with chrome trim) and the 350 4 barrel (300 HP) and a 4 speed Muncie. Beautiful cars both. The body lines speak for themselves.

I did not like the next generation Monte Carlo for the same reasons you expressed.

A work colleague of mine also had a '70 Monte Carlo SS with the 396 cube. big block V8. He used it to tow his small, one man sail boat (not sure what this class of boat is called) to amateur racing events around Canada and the USA, back then.
08-19-2021, 01:48 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
First-generation Chevy Monte Carlo - I love the clean, clear lines
Right there with you Those were some nice looking cars. Great shots all around!

08-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Some very good looking classics in this series
Thanks, EM.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by charliezap Quote
Nice wheels all around Jer. I go to a car show here (cruise nite) in Saugus on Tuesday evenings. I will post some shots later.Be well.--charliezap
Hey, Capn - thanks much. Looking forward to your shots.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I always liked the of the original Monte Carlo for the same reasons that you listed. Nice shots.
Appreciate it, Mike!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I dunno, man, it looks like a super spreader event to me! But on a more serious note, I haven't been to one for couple years now. And your post reminded me to do a search. And I see a car shows advertised this weekend.
My KN95 mask was in place!

Maybe you'll find a good show this weekend. This one was a let down - I didn't expect it to match the concours and major shows I've been lucky to attend, but there was very little of interest (to me) at this show - mostly cars you see every day.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix, Jer.

I agree with your assessment of the Monte Carlo and the Nova from the early '70's.

At the time a buddy bought(new) a black '70 Monte Carlo with a 350 4 barrel (300 HP) and another buddy bought new, a '70 Nova SS (dark green, with chrome trim) and the 350 4 barrel (300 HP) and a 4 speed Muncie. Beautiful cars both. The body lines speak for themselves.

I did not like the next generation Monte Carlo for the same reasons you expressed.

A work colleague of mine also had a '70 Monte Carlo SS with the 396 cube. big block V8. He used it to tow his small, one man sail boat (not sure what this class of boat is called) to amateur racing events around Canada and the USA, back then.
Thanks much, Les. I've always regretted not getting that Nova. Most of my friends thought I was nuts trading a Mach I Mustang for a Novay, but there's something about that generation of Nova that gets to me still!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Right there with you Those were some nice looking cars. Great shots all around!
Hey, Paul - thanks very much. Good to "see" you over on Flickr!

Jer
08-20-2021, 10:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks much, Les. I've always regretted not getting that Nova. Most of my friends thought I was nuts trading a Mach I Mustang for a Novay, but there's something about that generation of Nova that gets to me still!

Jer

The Nova was an odd car, insofar as where it fit. On one hand it could be ordered as an economy family, 4 door car, straight six, 3 on the tree, narrow wheels/tires. But it could also be set up as a performance car...ordered with front disc brakes, 14 X 6 wheels, the SS package, 2 door post sedan, performance horsepower from 300 (350 V8) ...all the way to a ultra high performance, solid lifter, hot cam, big block V8, the Chevy 396 'rat motor' under rated it is said by many at 375 hp.

The 375-396 went. In fact a local had one out here, and consistently ran it down the 1/4 mile @ low 12 seconds @ around 110 mph. 426 Hemi times.

My buddy ordered his Nova from the factory. SS package, F 41 handling suspension, 300 hp/350 V8, 4 speed Muncie, 12 bolt, posi traction (3.42 axle ratio) but with a Hurst shifter that lessened the shift effort, narrowed the shift throws and had a exceedingly accurate linkage..

With this shifter, shifts were very quick...snap, snap, snap. The SS package included bucket seats, tasteful trim options. Colour was dark green with a few chrome highlights. It was a very tasteful looking car.

So with this particular order, he had a fine handling (F41 HD performance suspension), quick shifting (Hurst shifter) , good, fade free braking (front disc brakes), excellent traction (posi traction, mechanical traction device), relatively light weight (3000 lbs +/-), relatively light, but powerful small block V8 , over the front wheels...which helped the weight distribution, sharp looking 2 door post sedan.

I can say with some certainty it would have impressed Mustang drivers, albeit it had one cardinal sin, that Ford fans would never forgive...it was a Chevy.

He also equipped his car with rear tires that were one size, over size and front tires that were standard size on the front. The oversize tires hiked up the rear by an inch or two...and seemed to enhance the handling. The F 41 HD performance suspension was actually similar to the Chevy interceptor, police package suspension and it enabled the Nova to whip around tight corners that surprised many a sports car driver at the time.
08-20-2021, 05:18 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Nova was an odd car, insofar as where it fit. . . . . . . . I can say with some certainty it would have impressed Mustang drivers, albeit it had one cardinal sin, that Ford fans would never forgive...it was a Chevy . . . . . . .
It's interesting how differently the Nova was marketed compared with other cars. In '71, the SS package included a 350 - 4BBl or 396, sports suspension, front discs and a little badging on the exterior, but the interior and exterior trims were essentially the same austere, dismal trappings of the base car. I ordered mine with Burnt Orange exterior and added a black optional "custom" interior which provided nice door cards and rolled seats. I also ordered bucket seats, a console and the "V8 Instrument Package" which included a tiny tach in the instrument cluster and additional gages on the console. I included air conditioning, power steering and brakes, and an exterior trim package that dressed up the wheels and added "chrome" around the windows. I got the car with automatic, owing to cost of insurance and poor resale value for 4-Speed cars. I may have added a couple of other things I've forgotten.

All in all, the price came to about 4 grand US; about what you'd pay for a similarly optioned Mach I with a 4-BBL 351.

In the end, I bought a '71 Camaro, which I loved enough to drive for four years - a long time for me in those days. Even so, I still regret not getting the Nova - it would have been a cool and very unusual set of wheels.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 08-20-2021 at 06:52 PM.
08-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

It's interesting how differently the Nova was marketed compared with other cars. In '71, the SS package included a 350 - 4BBl or 396, sports suspension, front discs and a little badging on the exterior, but the interior and exterior trims were essentially the same austere, dismal trappings of the base car. I ordered mine with Burnt Orange exterior and added a black optional "custom" interior which provided nice door cards and rolled seats. I also ordered bucket seats, a console and the "V8 Instrument Package" which included a tiny tach in the instrument cluster and additional gages on the console. I included air conditioning, power steering and brakes, and an exterior trim package that dressed up the wheels and added "chrome" around the windows. I got the car with automatic, owing to cost of insurance and poor resale value for 4-Speed cars. I may have added a couple of other things I've forgotten.

All in all, the price came to about 4 grand US; about what you'd pay for a similarly optioned Mach I with a 4-BBL 351.

In the end, I bought a '71 Camaro, which I loved enough to drive for four years - a long time for me in those days. Even so, I still regret not getting the Nova - it would have been a cool and very unusual set of wheels.

Jer

Jer,

Your post made me think about back in the good ol' days with some manufacturers such as Chevrolet you could pick and choose what parts you wanted from the GM order book (menu ) and come up with an unusual car, that had all sorts of performance enhancements that set it apart from the typical car on the sales lot.

This article tells a fascinating tale of what you could end up with, if you knew your way through the order book...or if you knew a knowledgeable salesman enthusiast who would do some digging for you in the GM order catalogue.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8...8g6MsnGvJp-WwO

In 1989 we were looking for a small, basic station wagon to ferry our young family about. We tried all sorts of cars from different manufacturers, but they for the most part didn't have what I was looking for.

Car & Driver magazine at the time, had a short piece about the Chevy Cavalier station wagon and indicated that with the right options, you could make this rather pedestrian grocery getter , into....and I quote from C&D...a 'sleepermobile'.

My wife, myself and our 2 year old daughter went down to the local Chevy dealer, where I knew a salesman, who had been a guy I had known back in my younger days , who had been part of the local car enthusiast scene.

I told him what I wanted and I asked him if he could help me. Help me he did.

He got the order book out and we went through it with a fine tooth comb. First of all engines. He said this year you can finally get the 2.8 liter V6, instead of the little 4 banger in the wagon. Check that.

Suspension...ahh...you can get the heavy duty/ performance suspension which includes De Carbon gas charged shocks, thick anti roll bars, back and front, over sized ...diameter/width steel wheels, with small hub caps and extra vents on the wheels to enhance air flow for brake cooling. Check that.

Tires...with this HD/Performance suspension you can get oversized BF Goodrich T/A tires...softer compound, but better grip. Check.

There were a few other things and the price of these HD components was surprisingly reasonable. Essentially it was a Z-24 Cavalier sports sedan, but in a stripper, plain jane wagon.

What a car...for the times...the acceleration, braking, handling were all top notch and I enjoyed 'sucking' in sportier cars on the twisties. It did surprise. We kept it for 14 years, used it hard, sometimes out it away wet. It finally rusted out, but did give 14 years of reliable, durable, and at times, very exciting driving experiences.

You mention your '71 Camaro. Lovely looking car and a car that was very competent .

I still recall when the new, 2nd generation Camaro came out...it was tagged by GM marketing as the '70 1/2 ! The RS model looked Ferrarisque to me (sacrilege I know ) ...with the open grille, unimpaired by a full width front bumper, just two little bumperettes on either side of the grille. I had two buddies, who each bought new, a '70 1/2 Z-28...dark forest green, both of them. Wonderful cars, lots of power from the LT1 Z28 350.

I could only look on with envy at the time, having sold my few assets to pay for U., but I did get rides in them.

Les

Last edited by lesmore49; 08-22-2021 at 10:28 AM.
08-23-2021, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Jer,

Your post made me think about back in the good ol' days with some manufacturers such as Chevrolet you could pick and choose what parts you wanted . . . . . . . . . . . I still recall when the new, 2nd generation Camaro came out...it was tagged by GM marketing as the '70 1/2 ! The RS model looked Ferrarisque to me (sacrilege I know ) ...with the open grille, unimpaired by a full width front bumper, just two little bumperettes on either side of the grille. I had two buddies, who each bought new, a '70 1/2 Z-28...dark forest green, both of them. Wonderful cars, lots of power from the LT1 Z28 350. . . . . . . .

Les

Yeah, Les, they sold 'em a la carte back in the day. I remember that my second Camaro, a '75, was an LT model that was truly loaded. It had 26 or 27 options (!) including dual horns, an adjustable driver seat back (two whole positions), tilt steering wheel, power windows radial tires, a "radial-tuned suspension", and a boat load of other stuff as arcane as an unheated fan aimed at the rear window and described as a defroster. Of course, back then things like power steering and brakes, A/C, tinted windows, radios, the 350 mill, 4-speed tranny et. al. were options.

You're spot on regarding the Ferrarisque look of the gen 2 Camaro; I have an old book on the history of the Camaro (somewhere in this house ) that mentions that the gen 2 styling was based on (or maybe just inspired by) one or two of the '50s-era Ferrari America models.

Jer