Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Parked Across the Street this Afternoon
Camera: iPhone Xs Photo Location: SE Texas 
Posted By: Sailor, 08-29-2021, 12:30 PM

Awhile ago, I walked outside to check on the cat, and I noticed this Jag XK8 4.2 parked across the street. I was too lazy to drag out my SLR, so I made some snapshots with my iPhone. I know little about the XK8, but Googling revealed that the 4.2 version of the car was produced from 2003 to 2006 and made 300 HP governed by a 6-speed auto.

Although the car lacks the breathtaking beauty of the E-Type of the '60s, I still find the clean, minimalist lines of the XK8 to be refreshing.

I tried to interest Tux (the cat) in the XK8, since it's named after one of his cousins; he showed no interest. I guess he's a Porsche guy through and through.

Jer

Views: 534
08-29-2021, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I saw a lovely example of this Jag with the UK registration M33 AOW many years ago. An elegant car, more so than the current models which look as heavy as they are.
08-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A well loved car from the appearance.
08-29-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks to be nicely maintained. It does have the classic Jaguar style. Nice photos.

08-30-2021, 07:07 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely photos, Jer. The iPhone is no slouch in the right hands, eh?

The XK8 was, IMHO, the prettiest of the XK line, cleverly incorporating some clearly-recognisable E-type styling cues into a thoroughly modern design. It's pretty timeless, and doesn't look at all dated today. The later XKs are beautiful, too, but lost some of that styling heritage, I think... perhaps a little of the pure driving experience, too.

If I remember correctly, the XK8 and Aston DB7 shared the same platform, but I always preferred Jaguar's design... especially the convertible
08-30-2021, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
I saw a lovely example of this Jag with the UK registration M33 AOW many years ago. An elegant car, more so than the current models which look as heavy as they are.
The XK8 is indeed an elegant car, but it's no featherweight. According to Edmunds and other sources, curb weights for the car during its production period ranged from 3700 to over 3900 pounds (1680-1770 kg); in comparison, the current F-Type weighs in from 3400 to 3900 pounds (1540-1770 kg) depending on trim level.

I rather like the lines of the F-Type - certainly more edgy than the XK8, but my brief research suggests the F-Type is edgier car than the XK8 on the road.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
A well loved car from the appearance.
It's pristine, EM. I've met the fellow that owns it (he's a friend of a neighbor); the guy is a collector and has a number of cool cars (or did, I haven't talked with him in years).

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Looks to be nicely maintained. It does have the classic Jaguar style. Nice photos.
Thanks, Mike. It's a classic, indeed.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Lovely photos, Jer. The iPhone is no slouch in the right hands, eh?

The XK8 was, IMHO, the prettiest of the XK line, cleverly incorporating some clearly-recognisable E-type styling cues into a thoroughly modern design. It's pretty timeless, and doesn't look at all dated today. The later XKs are beautiful, too, but lost some of that styling heritage, I think... perhaps a little of the pure driving experience, too.

If I remember correctly, the XK8 and Aston DB7 shared the same platform, but I always preferred Jaguar's design... especially the convertible
Hey Mike, I always appreciate your kind words. I'm pretty sure you're right that this Jag shared a lot with the Aston; I think Ford owned both companies during this era.

Jer
08-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WOW! That's one classy automobile. I'm afraid it would look very out of place in my driveway .

08-31-2021, 05:30 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
WOW! That's one classy automobile. I'm afraid it would look very out of place in my driveway .
Come on, Dave. You'd look great cruising around in this Jag!

Jer
08-31-2021, 10:31 AM   #9
Banned

car whisperer.
08-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
car whisperer.
Well, there's no reason to shout.