Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Sunflower Bud In Leaf Axil - B&W
Lens: HD Pentax DA 16-85mm Camera: K10D Photo Location: My garden fence ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: angkymac, 08-31-2021, 03:29 PM

Had some side-lighting on this flower bud and thought it might high-light the hairy "pubescence" on the stem and leaves.
It did.
And in color it was an interesting shot.

But I thought, "I'm supposed to be learning digital mono-chrome, and this seems more like really a mono-chrome image."
So here it is in mono-chrome.

If I was doing this on paper in the soup, I might consider a slightly lower contrast paper and burn it another 5-10 seconds.
But that would be because--well, who wouldn't, if they were already in the dark room?!!!
Doing it digitally, I'm not quite sure how to drop the intensity of the brights on the hairs without changing the other tones.

I guess I'm just holding a wet print and mumbling to myself at the door of the dark room!
Any other comments would be just as welcome as my own musings!

Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Views: 319
08-31-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Comparing the two photos, I like the color one best this time. Why not post them together for direct comparison.
Mike
08-31-2021, 08:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Comparing the two photos, I like the color one best this time. Why not post them together for direct comparison.
Mike
I've a couple of questions--one is about your suggestion here.
I'll send a PM.
Angky.
09-01-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The image is pretty flat on my computer screen. That would look similar to grade 2, cold tone paper that didn't receive an archiving toning step because it is a pure grayscale image. Toning will change the hue of the paper and produce a monochrome color.

So to print it down would mean a grade 1 paper and that would be a really flat print if your film development time nails the density range for a grade 3 paper on either a condenser or diffusion enlarger (each has a different target contrast index and hence a different film development time to achieve that)

With an image editor, you have more control over the contrast curve by far than you have with burning, dodging, paper grade and developer selection. For example, to brighten the hair without changing the lower or mid tones, simply slide the highlight adjustment control.

09-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The image is pretty flat on my computer screen. That would look similar to grade 2, cold tone paper that didn't receive an archiving toning step because it is a pure grayscale image. Toning will change the hue of the paper and produce a monochrome color.

So to print it down would mean a grade 1 paper and that would be a really flat print if your film development time nails the density range for a grade 3 paper on either a condenser or diffusion enlarger (each has a different target contrast index and hence a different film development time to achieve that)

With an image editor, you have more control over the contrast curve by far than you have with burning, dodging, paper grade and developer selection. For example, to brighten the hair without changing the lower or mid tones, simply slide the highlight adjustment control.
Thank you much!
When I get back to my computer, I'll work on that.
Sure do appreciate your input!
Angky.