Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Stormy Weather
Lens: Pentax HD DA 16-85mm ED DC WR Camera: Pentax K3 iii Photo Location: Cunningham's Gap Queensland. ISO: 320 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: K2 to K50, 09-08-2021, 04:24 AM

Taken on the road up to Cunningham's Gap Queensland.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 

Views: 330
09-08-2021, 05:23 AM   #2
Banned

Well done, Mr. Pete.
I like it.
09-08-2021, 06:42 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice composition. Nice foreground with a turbulent backdrop in the mountains. Well done.
09-08-2021, 12:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A terrific landscape! The clouds add a lot of drama to the image.

09-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The clouds and the mountains augment one another in their shapes, seems to me.
The foreground hills with their highlighted tops show a lot of interesting shapes also.
Angky.
09-09-2021, 12:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Nice composition. Nice foreground with a turbulent backdrop in the mountains. Well done.
QuoteOriginally posted by LightSpeed Quote
Well done, Mr. Pete.
I like it.
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
A terrific landscape! The clouds add a lot of drama to the image.
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
The clouds and the mountains augment one another in their shapes, seems to me.
The foreground hills with their highlighted tops show a lot of interesting shapes also.
Angky.
Well.....Thank you all for the friendly comments!

Landscapes are not normally my thing. Nor is too much PP (apart from cropping). The original post I did something which brought out more of the drama with the background mountains and clouds, but it also severely darkened the foreground rolling hills.

But all your encouraging comments made me go back and see if I could improve my original PP. I have (I think) managed to lighten the foreground a little, without (I hope) losing the drama of the mountain peaks and clouds. I would love your feedback: is this second image better than the original?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 Mark III  Photo 
09-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
Well.....Thank you all for the friendly comments!

Landscapes are not normally my thing. Nor is too much PP (apart from cropping). The original post I did something which brought out more of the drama with the background mountains and clouds, but it also severely darkened the foreground rolling hills.

But all your encouraging comments made me go back and see if I could improve my original PP. I have (I think) managed to lighten the foreground a little, without (I hope) losing the drama of the mountain peaks and clouds. I would love your feedback: is this second image better than the original?
If you would like my comment, i'll say these couple of things:
The lightening of the foreground really did indeed help the foregound hills shine out--at least to my eye.
The lightening did not really damage the mountains and the clouds, to my eye, but I do like the original better for the clouds and mountains.
They are both good images--just depends upon personal preference. But I do think the second is an improvement--at least in the way I look at these images.

I'll offer this in addition, for what it might be worth--
I use Affinity Photo for PP, and I have very recently learned a useful feature (that I think is probably in Photoshop too, although I don't know Adobe apps).
Running a carefully balanced "Curves" by keeping the contrast minimal--I do that first off.
Then I run a second "Curves" with a specific focus on the lighting / contrast of the portion of the image that I want to lighten or darken or increase contrast. This second "Curves" I make into a "layer" (or mask?) by inverting it.
This does not change the original. However, when I do this, I can "paint" that curve adjustment onto the portion of the image I want to highlight--such as lightening just the foreground hills. It's similar to the old dodging and burning technique but it applies the curve, not just a straight-line light or dark.
I learned this from a Youtube tutorial by Olivio Sarikas, but I can't recall the name of the video. It is a very helpful technique for what you just did in your image. It's probably available in other PP apps too.
I'm just telling you about it--if you are interested--since it would keep your sky nice and moody while lightening the hills with their highlights and shadows kept in proportion to each other.
In any case, I am glad to see both of the great pictures you did (almost envious of you, in fact).
Shoot some more of those scenes!
Angky.