Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
879 You have got to be kidding
Posted By: daacon, 12-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Well a sure sign of the times for me that things are basically worth what someone will pay. Taken at a local greenhouse that is known as pricey (but a good reputation).

Not a great picture - the inbody camera anti shake could not compensate for my total disbelief trembling

Views: 3,485
12-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That's ridiculous. Keep the tree. This retailer obviously doesn't want anyone to buy it.

But you wouldn't believe what some retail salespeople are still trying to get away with, even in today's economic mess. I have to buy a new car and my first 2 attempts to get a firm quote have been, well, unexpected.

One dealer wanted $500 above MSRP and another guy made me wait over an hour for a quote before I got irritated (I was waiting for my loaner to be serviced at another shop nearby, which is why I hung around so long).
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Damn ... that's highway robbery.
That reminds me ... i need to get the chainsaw from the inlaws and head down the side paddock to find me a decent tree to bring in and decorate. ... hee hee
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

All Aglow!!! Wow, is there a K20 hanging from a branch I cant see? That still would make it $150 to much.

12-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
Banned

as an atheist, I laugh at a lot of the things people buy (and what they pay) to celebrate Christmas.
12-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #6
per
Inactive Account

Thats not a tree! It's some hideous creation made by some insane psycothic mad professor in a lab deep under the ground. Buying something like this just indicates complete lack of taste.
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wait until December 27th and you'll be able to get it for $49.95.

12-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Wait until December 27th and you'll be able to get it for $49.95.
No, it is a seasonal tree. It automatically becomes a Valentine's tree, an Easter tree... depending on the model, you can get up to 13 holidays. Keep an eye out for the discounted versions; these often will blink the lights in morse code to spell out profanities.
12-02-2008, 03:51 PM   #9
Inactive Account

There is a garden & nursery center in Baltimore County, Maryland called Valley View Farms..

Valley View Farms Garden Center and Nursery, Cockeysville/Hunt Valley, Maryland...Providing Quality Plants and Superior Service for over 44 Years

Each year starting in September a team of men & women start decorating artificial Christmas trees ranging in size from table top ones up to very tall ones..This year according to the website they have 140 trees on display..Each tree is decorated according to a different theme..Almost all of them are sold off after Christmas for a discount over what the individual components decorating the tree would cost if purchased separately..Usually all but the tallest ones sell off..

I worked there in the fall of 1983 before I attended culinary school..The largest tree that year I believe was either 16' or 20' tall..It was decorated completely in white..As I recall there were 120 strings of miniature white lights on this tree..To say that the final tree was gorgeous would be an understatement..It took three women a month to decorate this tree..Just before I left in early December for school a man came in dressed very elegantly..He arranged to purchase the tree as is to be delivered intact to his home (redecorated if necessary) right after Christmas..He paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $10,000.00 for this tree..

Bruce
12-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JonPB Quote
No, it is a seasonal tree. It automatically becomes a Valentine's tree, an Easter tree... depending on the model, you can get up to 13 holidays. Keep an eye out for the discounted versions; these often will blink the lights in morse code to spell out profanities.
Ooooh! I want to see it on Cinco de Mayo!!
12-02-2008, 05:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
as an atheist, I laugh at a lot of the things people buy (and what they pay) to celebrate Christmas.
As a christian I do too
That's an UGLY tree, My wife and Me are tired of the whole tree thing but do it for our son. I do like the lights though, nice to play with bokeh
12-02-2008, 10:37 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The price of copper and other metals has gone up lately. It cost 1.26 cents to make a penny.
12-03-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The price of copper and other metals has gone up lately. It cost 1.26 cents to make a penny.
US pennies haven't been made of copper for quite a while. They are made of zinc and copper plated.
12-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So anybody want one ? I sure we can keep it under $1k to include shipping Who needs a K20D when you look at this for 4 weeks then box it up and store it !
12-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
US pennies haven't been made of copper for quite a while. They are made of zinc and copper plated.
Copper is in the tree. Other metals are in the penny.