Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
The Valley - Just After Sundown
Lens: SMC Pentax f:4 / 200mm Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Sacramento Valley ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F11 
Posted By: angkymac, 09-20-2021, 01:55 PM

I'm not sure of the aperture setting; the lens is an early K, pre-automatic era. I think I recall it being set at f:11.
I'm just glad I had this lens in my vest as I saw the sun drop behind the far hills. I keep it in there when I have to stumble around in the bushes because it is so much lighter than the new Star* lenses.
The sun was already down when I saw this shot and I didn't have time to run back to the car to get the better lens.
But these old lenses can do a pretty fine job too. Just need to bring up the contrast a bit with them.

I love these "blue-light" times on the wide-open hills because the light is so gentle and soft. But the image stays a bit blue.
By the way, that "shadow" from the tree is actually a roughly scratched ditch in the ground to carry water to the tree during rain.

A question: What do you think; should the foreground have been cropped a little bit more?
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 258
09-20-2021, 07:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't know that you would want to crop the ditch any, it's an important part of the scene. Had you composed the shot right at the edge where the ditch begins, your photo would have more balance. A little more blue on top and a little less brown at the bottom. I think using a little wider lens would have given you more leeway in composition. Anyway , I like the color combination. The terrain directly behind tree is also interesting. I think shifting your shooting position more to the right would have brought that terrain into play. Thanks for posting.
09-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I looked at this earlier today and didn't get time to comment until now. I agree with Mike that it would have been nice to shoot it a little wider to show a little more of the beautiful blue hills in the background. However, I really like your use of elements in the foreground, middle, and distance to bring it all together. It is a very pleasing image.
09-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Don't know that you would want to crop the ditch any, it's an important part of the scene. Had you composed the shot right at the edge where the ditch begins, your photo would have more balance. A little more blue on top and a little less brown at the bottom. I think using a little wider lens would have given you more leeway in composition. Anyway , I like the color combination. The terrain directly behind tree is also interesting. I think shifting your shooting position more to the right would have brought that terrain into play. Thanks for posting.
Thanks much for your input, Mike!
Your suggestion about cropping a bit higher was just what I was wondering about.

And I heartily agree with you on moving to the right and using a wider angle lens. What is not shown in the image is the reason I didn't do those things. There is a great huge electric pylon a couple of inches to the right of this image. I took some shots with a wider lens and also from over to the right. Scrapped all of them because of the legs and framework of the pylon. So you are exactly correct!
I also wanted to come closer to the tree with a wider lens, but the camera's base was sitting on a barbed wire fence with no-trespassing signs on it. I guess life doesn't always agree with our photographic interests!
Thanks for your suggestions; they confirm what I was seeing.
Angky.

---------- Post added 09-20-21 at 08:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I looked at this earlier today and didn't get time to comment until now. I agree with Mike that it would have been nice to shoot it a little wider to show a little more of the beautiful blue hills in the background. However, I really like your use of elements in the foreground, middle, and distance to bring it all together. It is a very pleasing image.
Thank you for your input, Todd.
As I wrote in response to Mike, the scene didn't allow me to get to the right. In fact, I had to crop a tiny bit of blur off the right side as it was.
I have some images of the blue mountains taking up more space at the top, but all of them have bright sky showing above saddles in the hills. What you see in the image is right at the full height of those hills.
What both of you have said about balance between top blue and brown bottom is worth remembering in future compositions.

You also have confirmed what I was trying to do with this image. So I guess that means it was about as good a composition as could be arranged; I'm glad to know that, and I thank you for your input!
Angky.

09-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #5
Banned

It's a nice technical photo.