Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

LBA: The Zenitar f2.8 Fish Eye meets the Flatiron Bldg
Posted By: NaClH2O, 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM

I've heard many people sing the praises of this little lens, but I wasn't sure a Fish Eye would be in my future until I saw the "Show me your Fish Eye photos" thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/2841-show-me-your-fisheye-shots.html

So I decided to get one. It was much smaller than I expected, kinda cute acutally, and came with it's own little lens pouch, a touch not usually associated with a sub $150 lens. I mean this lens is Russian right? No offense to any Russians who might be reading this but I always associate Russian stuff with big brawny built like a brick. Strong like bear! No petite and cute. Anyway the lens comes during the week so today being a very nice day, I decide to take it downtown and try it out on the Flatiron Building. For those who don't know, the Flatiron Building is built on a triangular shaped piece of land and the building itself is triangular. Doh!. It was one of the first skyscrapers in NYC but I think not THE first. I get downtown and the light is not the best, high sun shining right behind the "point" of the building, but what the hey, what's a few blown highlights amongst friends? All shots taken with the DS and the Zenitar. Apertures mostly f8 to f11 or higher.

View from the north, giving a good idea of it's triangular shape

Rear (south) and west sides of the building

Rear and east sides of the building.

Kinda like this one, "front" of the building peeping out from over the scaffolding protection, reminds me of a boat edging out into the harbor.

One of the best features of the Flatiron Building is that it is right around the corner from this place. And honestly I didn't choose the Flatiron Building for this lens test because of that!...yeah right!

So I've decided this lens is a fun lens to have. I won't be using it lots, but it was inexpensive and "works as intended". I haven't really learned how to get the best from it yet, but that's half the fun no?

NaCl(and yes, I did spend some time in Adorama)H2O
Views: 3,263
03-12-2007, 10:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
The Adorama 'brick and mortar' it the prototypical camera store, tiny, crowded, with big cases full of old cameras and lenses, none of which fit Pentax . Actually that's not true, they have a bunch of old K and screw mount lenses, just nothing I want, but they do get stock in from time to time so it's a good place to check for used glass. They have also stopped processing film, which irks me no end.

NaCl(it's fast becoming a completely digital world)H2O
Yea across the street from the Henrys.ca Main Store is the Outlet Centre. The K-Mount bins are always empty or very 'lacking'. There was a nice Kiron and Vivitar 80-200 / 4.5 zooms. I always feel frusturated by Nikonians. They are so absorbed by those DX lenses that they forget about all the backwards compatibility possible. There were literally buckets of really nice RMC Tokina 80-200 f4 ..f4.5s....even the Kiron made Vivitar S1 70-210/3.5 sitting around just collecting dust.

03-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Well Jonas, if you ever make it to our fair city I'd be more than happy to show you around a bit. There's LOTS of photo opportunities to explore in NYC!
NaCl(And you may be right about me and the Zenitar!)H2O
I would love to visit N.Y. Unfortunately I have no idea about when that can ever happen. But when the day comes I'll contact you for sure. You'll be around for a some time I hope!
03-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Buddy, the first one is very well done - I keep looking at it and the clouds behind the flatiron building. What character! Nothing like that (that I know of) in Houston.

Jer
03-13-2007, 12:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Salty,

Those are nice shots of that building!

As with Fotopete, the size of the Adorama surprised me - I thought it would at least twice as big as these 3 shops (which, by the way don't carry near as much Pentax gear as they should - lol)

Aden Camera

03-13-2007, 01:22 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Really nice shots Salty, I see your still finding out the power of the lens.