Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
LBA: The Zenitar f2.8 Fish Eye meets the Flatiron Bldg
Posted By: NaClH2O, 03-11-2007, 07:43 PM

I've heard many people sing the praises of this little lens, but I wasn't sure a Fish Eye would be in my future until I saw the "Show me your Fish Eye photos" thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/2841-show-me-your-fisheye-shots.html

So I decided to get one. It was much smaller than I expected, kinda cute acutally, and came with it's own little lens pouch, a touch not usually associated with a sub $150 lens. I mean this lens is Russian right? No offense to any Russians who might be reading this but I always associate Russian stuff with big brawny built like a brick. Strong like bear! No petite and cute. Anyway the lens comes during the week so today being a very nice day, I decide to take it downtown and try it out on the Flatiron Building. For those who don't know, the Flatiron Building is built on a triangular shaped piece of land and the building itself is triangular. Doh!. It was one of the first skyscrapers in NYC but I think not THE first. I get downtown and the light is not the best, high sun shining right behind the "point" of the building, but what the hey, what's a few blown highlights amongst friends? All shots taken with the DS and the Zenitar. Apertures mostly f8 to f11 or higher.

View from the north, giving a good idea of it's triangular shape

Rear (south) and west sides of the building

Rear and east sides of the building.

Kinda like this one, "front" of the building peeping out from over the scaffolding protection, reminds me of a boat edging out into the harbor.

One of the best features of the Flatiron Building is that it is right around the corner from this place. And honestly I didn't choose the Flatiron Building for this lens test because of that!...yeah right!

So I've decided this lens is a fun lens to have. I won't be using it lots, but it was inexpensive and "works as intended". I haven't really learned how to get the best from it yet, but that's half the fun no?

NaCl(and yes, I did spend some time in Adorama)H2O
Views: 3,371
03-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

nice shots salty. I trekked out today too, but didnt make it that far down. (was around CP)

I did see a few fellow users....
03-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
I won't be using it lots, ...
That's a prediction I wouldn't take for a safe bet.

A fine start. Ah, the Flatiron building... some day I hope to be able to see it in real life.

regards,
03-11-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Jonas for reminding me of the name of the Flatiron building. The shots look like lots of fun.

The post processing must have been a little heavy on the sharpening as there appears to be a halo around every building/sky shot.

What say you get some detail shots of the Flatiron building exterior. From these shots it looked like there were lots of opportunity for relief, carving and architectural elements to keep you occupied for a time.

03-11-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Enjoyed those Salty - it's an amazing building indeed. I'm glad you like your Zenitar - when I'm travelling light its always one of the three lenses in the bag - I use mine more than any other lens apart from the FA50 1.4

Last edited by jthommo; 03-11-2007 at 09:32 PM.
03-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow, I thought the Adorama store was alot bigger than that judging from the website. haha.
03-11-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Wow, I thought the Adorama store was alot bigger than that judging from the website. haha.
it's really, really tiny, compared to B and H.

really really small compared to B and H. B and H is about 1/4 of a city block.

you can fit 5 adorama's in B and H. LoL

and just a little info on the Flatiron building

it was used as the Daily Bugle in Spiderman

03-12-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Congrats Salty! I'm really itchin' now, I wonder what time my mailman will arrive tomorrow and I wonder if he'll have that Russian box in hand.

The Flatiron is a beautiful building, the architects were inspired by the very first Flatiron building which happens to be right here in Toronto. Our Flatiron building is much smaller by comparison though.

Looking forward to seeing some more fun shots from you
03-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Hey V,

Your original Flatiron building is super cute! Do you have a bigger picture available somewhere?
03-12-2007, 12:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Hey V,

Your original Flatiron building is super cute! Do you have a bigger picture available somewhere?
You mean bigger than one I posted here? Sure you can see it on my Flickr page, right here: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=327154824&size=o
Thanks for the comment
03-12-2007, 01:00 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Thank you. Hmm. A very nice building. I don't fancy those fire escape stairs though, it's a pity they have to be there. It's a nice picture with the enironment and fog cptured there.
03-12-2007, 04:22 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clarenceclose Quote
Thanks Jonas for reminding me of the name of the Flatiron building. The shots look like lots of fun.

The post processing must have been a little heavy on the sharpening as there appears to be a halo around every building/sky shot.

What say you get some detail shots of the Flatiron building exterior. From these shots it looked like there were lots of opportunity for relief, carving and architectural elements to keep you occupied for a time.
Hi Clarence, there's a halo around the front faced shots because the sun was just behind the point of the building. Did as much as I could to reduce the blown highlights w/o totally destroying detail and with a bright sun just behind the building the highlights were well and truely blown! Maybe I'll go back at a different time when the sun isn't such a pesky interferer. And while the Zenitar fisheye is good for wide angle, it's not so good for detail. I did take some shots of rooflines around the district with the 50-200. If I'm lucky I'll have time to process them tonight, and maybe post a few.

NaCl(thanks for looking and the comments, C&C is always appreciated)H2O
03-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photochop Quote
Congrats Salty! I'm really itchin' now, I wonder what time my mailman will arrive tomorrow and I wonder if he'll have that Russian box in hand.

The Flatiron is a beautiful building, the architects were inspired by the very first Flatiron building which happens to be right here in Toronto. Our Flatiron building is much smaller by comparison though.

Looking forward to seeing some more fun shots from you
Hi V, I didn't know that Toronto had the first one. Thanks! It looks like a really neat building and a good shot with the fog and all. And I'm sure you'll have a good time with the lens, it is fun to play with. If it's warm enough and I can sneak out a bit early, I might just go down to a beach.

NaCl(the heck with chores....I'm gonna have fun instead)H2O
03-12-2007, 04:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
The Adorama 'brick and mortar' it the prototypical camera store, tiny, crowded, with big cases full of old cameras and lenses, none of which fit Pentax . Actually that's not true, they have a bunch of old K and screw mount lenses, just nothing I want, but they do get stock in from time to time so it's a good place to check for used glass. They have also stopped processing film, which irks me no end.

NaCl(it's fast becoming a completely digital world)H2O
03-12-2007, 04:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
That's a prediction I wouldn't take for a safe bet.

A fine start. Ah, the Flatiron building... some day I hope to be able to see it in real life.

regards,
Well Jonas, if you ever make it to our fair city I'd be more than happy to show you around a bit. There's LOTS of photo opportunities to explore in NYC!

NaCl(And you may be right about me and the Zenitar!)H2O