Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
7 Likes  #1
Some '60s/'70s Chevy Muscle
Lens: DFA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Angleton, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-10-2021, 08:44 AM

Yesterday, I attended the first decent car show since the beginning of the pandemic. This was basically a heavy metal show featuring lots of modifieds, hot rod cars and trucks, muscle cars and a few '50s era vehicles, so no MGs, Jags, Porsches, exotics, etc. While I could have used a bit more diversity, the weather was perfect and my K-1 and I had fun photographing cars on display and enjoying the nostalgia that such shows always catalyze.

This post features some beautiful Chevelles.

Jer

Views: 215
10-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These are some great images of some great cars! Well done.
10-10-2021, 10:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll take the blue '72 (?) SS, please

Beautiful shots of some awesome rolling stock, Jer...
10-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Jer,

They are beautiful, powerful cars. well photographed.

A friend in the '60's had a '64 Chevelle SS, with the 283 V8- 4 barrel carb, which was if my memory is correct @ 220 hp. He had the 4 speed and it was a convertible.

He later traded it in on a Canadian Market only, '66 Pontiac Beaumont, which had a 327 cube Chevy V8 (275 HP version) and a 4 speed Muncie manual transmission. The Pontiac Beaumont was sold by Canadian Pontiac dealers, and essentially it was a Chevelle, with trim differences. . There were SS versions in the Beaumont, but I think they were called SD, rather than SS.

We didn't have the Tempest or early GTO, until about 1970, when the Beaumont was dropped and the GTO was available in the Canadian market. There were some early GTO's slipped over the Canadian border in the '60's. and now there are quite a few that have been brought up as vintage cars and are either drivers/show cars.

There are a few 'Pontiac' Beaumonts and "Pontiac' Acadians (which are essentially the Chevy ll and Nova cars, with trim differences) and also Canadian market Pontiacs.

There were a lot of odd Canadian market cars over the 49th back then. Don't get me started on Canadian market Mercury trucks, Fargo trucks, Meteors, Cdn. Pontiacs with Chevy frames, Pontiac bodies and American bodies.

Did I ever tell you the time I had a ride in a '68 Pontiac Parisienne 2 dr. HT (like a Catalina) with a Chevy 427 Rat motor and a HD 3 on the tree transmission ? All factory stock.

Les

10-10-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots of some classic American muscle cars. Those Chevelles were some of the best. When I commuted to college in the late sixties and early seventies, one of our drivers had a Chevelle SS 396. We made some fast trips to college during that time.
10-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
They certainly had nice design lines
10-10-2021, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grog85361 Quote
These are some great images of some great cars! Well done.
Thank you very much!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'll take the blue '72 (?) SS, please

Beautiful shots of some awesome rolling stock, Jer...
Thanks, Mike. I'll put in your order for that blue one.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Jer,

They are beautiful, powerful cars. well photographed.

A friend in the '60's had a '64 Chevelle SS, with the 283 V8- 4 barrel carb, which was if my memory is correct @ 220 hp. He had the 4 speed and it was a convertible.

He later traded it in on a Canadian Market only, '66 Pontiac Beaumont, which had a 327 cube Chevy V8 (275 HP version) and a 4 speed Muncie manual transmission. The Pontiac Beaumont was sold by Canadian Pontiac dealers, and essentially it was a Chevelle, with trim differences. . There were SS versions in the Beaumont, but I think they were called SD, rather than SS.

We didn't have the Tempest or early GTO, until about 1970, when the Beaumont was dropped and the GTO was available in the Canadian market. There were some early GTO's slipped over the Canadian border in the '60's. and now there are quite a few that have been brought up as vintage cars and are either drivers/show cars.

There are a few 'Pontiac' Beaumonts and "Pontiac' Acadians (which are essentially the Chevy ll and Nova cars, with trim differences) and also Canadian market Pontiacs.

There were a lot of odd Canadian market cars over the 49th back then. Don't get me started on Canadian market Mercury trucks, Fargo trucks, Meteors, Cdn. Pontiacs with Chevy frames, Pontiac bodies and American bodies.

Did I ever tell you the time I had a ride in a '68 Pontiac Parisienne 2 dr. HT (like a Catalina) with a Chevy 427 Rat motor and a HD 3 on the tree transmission ? All factory stock.

Les
I remember visiting Canada way back and being fascinated by Fords with Mercury tail ends and Dodges with Plymouth fins.

When we were living in the Boston area, Connie and I owned a '68 Chevelle convertible as a second car. It was unusual in that it only two options: power steering and a radio. It was powered by a 250 (?) CI six with three on the tree. We bought it for $725 US.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great shots of some classic American muscle cars. Those Chevelles were some of the best. When I commuted to college in the late sixties and early seventies, one of our drivers had a Chevelle SS 396. We made some fast trips to college during that time.
Thanks, Mike. They were cool cars for sure.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
They certainly had nice design lines
They did, EM. And they sold a ton of 'em.

Jer