Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
A half full, or half empty moon...
Lens: Sigma 120-400mm DG APO HSM Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Sointula, BC, Canada ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/50s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: SointulArt, 10-12-2021, 10:49 PM

It rained last night and most of the morning. It was a fairly miserable start to the day. Then around midday, the rain eased up and a few rays of sunshine appeared. Even a few patches of blue sky. It was almost as if someone flicked a switch and set the day on a different course. Tonight I wandered outside and saw that the moon was half full, or maybe half empty, and was hanging low in the sky.

Attached Images

Views: 318
10-13-2021, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot Darryl! Plenty of detail, and minimal colour fringing - it must have been high and dry. Well done.
10-13-2021, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice capture of the moon. I vote half full.
10-13-2021, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot.

10-13-2021, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shot craters are very sharp
10-14-2021, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Having always failed to get a good sharp shot of the moon (west coast air quality???), I am quite impressed with the sharp definition of the surface!
Another question arises from that. I notice the "back" edge of the moon loses definition; I'm wondering what causes that.
At first I thought it might be due to atmosphere, but I understand the moon has no atmosphere to diffuse or diffract the light. So, that doesn't explain it.
Then I thought that it might be due to difference in distance between the front surface and the back edge--a focusing issue. But at that distance of "infinity", I would suspect that is not the reason.
Curiosity has the best of me.
Nevertheless, I am quite impressed with the image! Maybe some day I'll get one that good...
Angky.
10-14-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am on the west coast as well, and I think the main issue with the air quality here is all the clouds and fog we get here... The area around the centre of the moon where the shadow meets the light is the area with the greatest contrast and sharpest defined craters and features, the area near the edge of the moon at the bottom is facing the sun and there is less shadow and contrast to make the features clearer. Also, we are looking at them more obliquely as well, so they are less defined. At least that is what I have always thought as the reason...

The other issue with getting a sharp moon image is minimizing vibration, so using self-timer, mirror lockup, fast enough shutter speed, remote trigger release, tripod, making sure you don't have lens creep, etc...

Darryl

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Having always failed to get a good sharp shot of the moon (west coast air quality???), I am quite impressed with the sharp definition of the surface!
Another question arises from that. I notice the "back" edge of the moon loses definition; I'm wondering what causes that.
At first I thought it might be due to atmosphere, but I understand the moon has no atmosphere to diffuse or diffract the light. So, that doesn't explain it.
Then I thought that it might be due to difference in distance between the front surface and the back edge--a focusing issue. But at that distance of "infinity", I would suspect that is not the reason.
Curiosity has the best of me.
Nevertheless, I am quite impressed with the image! Maybe some day I'll get one that good...
Angky.