Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
I've Decided to Go Straight . . . . .
Lens: D FA 15-30 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Angleton, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-17-2021, 11:11 AM

. . . . . . . since I can't turn corners anyway.

Jer




Views: 499
10-17-2021, 11:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 12,349
Also go straight, as the driver probably can't see much of what is in front of him, with that huge , bulbous air intake. I've seen land bound missiles like this run down the drag strip, and I've never had a desire to drive one myself. Fear factor.
10-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 11,566
Very cool to see these beasts close up! Thanks for sharing them.
10-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 15,224
Me neither. That's one wild looking beast. From the back side, it looks to be a Camaro. Nice photo. Thanks for the post.

10-17-2021, 07:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43,160
Are they making a new Batman movie and this is the proto model?
10-18-2021, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 20,692
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Me neither. That's one wild looking beast. From the back side, it looks to be a Camaro. Nice photo. Thanks for the post.
From the front, too. The grill and lights suggest it's a '68

@Sailor - lovely shots again, Jer... and yes, I'd guess it's not too good in the corners I wonder what kind of gas mileage he gets from that thing?!
10-18-2021, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 12,349
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
From the front, too. The grill and lights suggest it's a '68

@Sailor - lovely shots again, Jer... and yes, I'd guess it's not too good in the corners I wonder what kind of gas mileage he gets from that thing?!
It is a question of how many gallons of fuel, per 1/4 mile.

10-18-2021, 08:04 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,203
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Also go straight, as the driver probably can't see much of what is in front of him, with that huge , bulbous air intake. I've seen land bound missiles like this run down the drag strip, and I've never had a desire to drive one myself. Fear factor.
I've seen 'em too, Les - a long time ago. They were fun to watch for a run or two, then . . . . . not so much.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very cool to see these beasts close up! Thanks for sharing them.
Glad you enjoyed seeing 'em, my friend.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Me neither. That's one wild looking beast. From the back side, it looks to be a Camaro. Nice photo. Thanks for the post.
Hey, Mike - yeah, it has styling cues from a first gen Camaro. Thanks for looking.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Are they making a new Batman movie and this is the proto model?
Actually, EM, I think this is the photo model for the new Bird Brain movie.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
From the front, too. The grill and lights suggest it's a '68

@Sailor - lovely shots again, Jer... and yes, I'd guess it's not too good in the corners I wonder what kind of gas mileage he gets from that thing?!
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. Gas guzzler is not the word for this guy!

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
It is a question of how many gallons of fuel, per 1/4 mile.
Indeed!

Jer
10-18-2021, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 12,349
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've seen 'em too, Les - a long time ago. They were fun to watch for a run or two, then . . . . . not so much.

Jer

I know what you mean, Jer. Back in the late '60's I was in attendance at a drag strip, where they featured a couple of AA/Fuel dragsters. The long rails, with supercharged, ultra race prepared, very large V8's, and they used some nitro in the racing fuel for extra power.

I recall when they fired these beasts up...and I cannot think of any more apt word...then beasts to describe these machines. The ground shook...even about a fair distance away from the intense pounding vibration of the extremely powerful, unmuffled engines. The noise was excruciating...even worse than a rock concert, if that can be believed.

But the most unsettling sensation...was how my inner core...around the chest area....felt...with all this noise, vibration and harshness . It wasn't a comfortable feeling.

I don't mind high performance engine sounds, in fact I like them, but these top fuel dragsters were in a completely different dimension...a dimension that I cared not to enter on a regular basis.

Les
10-18-2021, 11:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,782
Leave me out of the " cackle fest " . I have seen people pay to be within a few feet top fuelers without any ear or lung protection .
10-18-2021, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Coastal Texas
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 26,203
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I know what you mean, Jer. Back in the late '60's I was in attendance at a drag strip, where they featured a couple of AA/Fuel dragsters. The long rails, with supercharged, ultra race prepared, very large V8's, and they used some nitro in the racing fuel for extra power.

I recall when they fired these beasts up...and I cannot think of any more apt word...then beasts to describe these machines. The ground shook...even about a fair distance away from the intense pounding vibration of the extremely powerful, unmuffled engines. The noise was excruciating...even worse than a rock concert, if that can be believed.

But the most unsettling sensation...was how my inner core...around the chest area....felt...with all this noise, vibration and harshness . It wasn't a comfortable feeling.

I don't mind high performance engine sounds, in fact I like them, but these top fuel dragsters were in a completely different dimension...a dimension that I cared not to enter on a regular basis.

Les
Hey, Les - yeah it could certainly get tiring pretty quickly - not only the sound, but the allure of watching repeated 1/4-mile trips taken in a straight line diminishes for me in fairly short time. I haven't been close to "the drags" for decades, other than watching some races at the Mopar Nationals near Columbus - which occur there every summer apparently. We were visiting my daughter, then a grad student at Ohio State, and we spent one day at the Nationals in 2008, since a professional colleague (and car collector) and his wife were showing one of their cars.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Leave me out of the " cackle fest " . I have seen people pay to be within a few feet top fuelers without any ear or lung protection .
I sure didn't worry about the noise back in the late '60s whether from races or rock bands, including the one in which I played. I can remember that the day after some gigs, my ears would ring until evening. Crazy, in retrospect.

Jer
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, flickr, jerry, photo, zone
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature "Well, I decided to, Give It A Go, for a three pointer, but my shot was blocked." :( Tonytee Post Your Photos! 7 07-22-2021 06:59 PM
Decided to go back to basics for story telling. condor27596 Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Other Camera Brands 2 10-31-2020 11:12 PM
Well I've Decided...no more john5100 Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 06-29-2013 09:54 AM
Hoya've Decided to Liquidate 3 Pentax Subsidiaries within a Month! RiceHigh Pentax News and Rumors 55 09-05-2008 08:59 PM
I think I've decided which Vivitar to sell... mediaslinky Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-08-2007 03:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top