Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Harvesting Walnuts
Lens: Pentax-DA* 200mm F4 Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Sacramento Valley ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F16 
Posted By: angkymac, 10-18-2021, 07:09 PM

I was distracted by this noisy wind-blowing monster as I was trying to photograph some ducks on the Sacramento River.
Turning around, I saw this thing coming along right beside the river's levee.
This is the low-slung sweeping device that goes along beneath the trees sweeping the fallen walnuts into a windrow and blowing most of the leaves and twigs out of the windrow.
Following this, comes a similar appearing machine that picks the walnuts up, blows the trash out of them again and drops them into a tank.
These machines have to be very low to the ground to avoid damaging the low hanging heavy walnut tree limbs. The top of the machine is about chest height to a normal man (if I recall correctly).
The cabs are tiny with some huge guys operating them. Notice the size of the man's shoulder barely seen through the window!
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 387
10-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2016
Photos: Albums
Posts: 313
Interesting, I've never seen such a machine.
10-18-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Conway, Arkansas
Posts: 15,105
I've not seen one those either. I'd imagine that they are quite noisy. It does look like a tight fit in that cab and I hope it's dust proof inside. Seems like there is specialized equipment for any task. Thanks for posting. PS, where's the duck photos?
10-18-2021, 09:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
Interesting, I've never seen such a machine.
I have grown up around agricultural machines, but this is a new one to me too!
Thanks for your observation about it.
Angky.

---------- Post added 10-18-21 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
I've not seen one those either. I'd imagine that they are quite noisy. It does look like a tight fit in that cab and I hope it's dust proof inside. Seems like there is specialized equipment for any task. Thanks for posting. PS, where's the duck photos?
Uhhh, The duck photos???
Well, ummmm... I got distracted!
I did get some shots of the islands they had been on...
Probably I'll have to be satisfied with plants and landscapes--things that don't move to much!
Angky.

10-18-2021, 09:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43,145
Very interesting and not something I've seen before.
10-18-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,461
Quite a vehicle. I wonder if one could enter it into a Demolition Derby? Seems pretty safe, with the exception of flying walnuts. )

Tony
10-19-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
maucard's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 155
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
I was distracted by this noisy wind-blowing monster as I was trying to photograph some ducks on the Sacramento River.
Turning around, I saw this thing coming along right beside the river's levee.
This is the low-slung sweeping device that goes along beneath the trees sweeping the fallen walnuts into a windrow and blowing most of the leaves and twigs out of the windrow.
Following this, comes a similar appearing machine that picks the walnuts up, blows the trash out of them again and drops them into a tank.
These machines have to be very low to the ground to avoid damaging the low hanging heavy walnut tree limbs. The top of the machine is about chest height to a normal man (if I recall correctly).
The cabs are tiny with some huge guys operating them. Notice the size of the man's shoulder barely seen through the window!
Angky.
A strange and interesting machine, thanks for this document!

10-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 8,962
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Very interesting and not something I've seen before.
Right! A lot of folks are new to these machines--they hide under the trees when working.
They are an amazing thing to see going down the road though!
Angky.

---------- Post added 10-19-21 at 08:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Quite a vehicle. I wonder if one could enter it into a Demolition Derby? Seems pretty safe, with the exception of flying walnuts. )

Tony
Laughing at imagining that concept!
I think the fear factor outdoes the demolition factor--seeing one of these ugly things making so much dust and noise and flying debris!
Angky.

---------- Post added 10-19-21 at 08:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
A strange and interesting machine, thanks for this document!
You're quite welcome!
And I'm glad I was distracted from the ducks; this turned out to be more interesting, if indeed more ugly!
Angky.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, demolition, duck, machine, photo, pm, post, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature A Bumblebee Harvesting From A Pinedrops Plant angkymac Post Your Photos! 6 07-24-2021 04:49 PM
Machinery Harvesting the Wheat mahanpots Post Your Photos! 3 06-25-2021 08:21 AM
walnuts Katfsh Monthly Photo Contests 4 12-08-2020 05:02 PM
Homemade bread and walnuts negrinig Monthly Photo Contests 3 06-08-2016 12:51 AM
Food Ripening Walnuts 45 Mike Post Your Photos! 0 10-19-2014 03:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:01 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top