Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Tumbled & Jumbled
Lens: SMC Pentax-A 135mm 1:2.8 Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Western Foothills - Sacramento Valley ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: angkymac, 10-23-2021, 06:45 PM

An old landslide--caused by creek at the bottom of the canyon--is being re-claimed by foothill / gray pines (Pinus sabiniana).
Ground here is very dry through the summer, but can get intensely wet in the short rainy season--which allows for such landslides.
These foothill pines can handle extremely dry and hot summers, so they are often the only coniferous trees on these hot Western California foothills.
I love it when forests re-cover in areas of their loss. This pine tree is not commercially valuable for much of anything except ground stabilization--unless a person wants the pine nuts from the huge cones. And they are good to eat, but hard to access.

How did these trees come to be on this super steep, scarified slope?
Possibly the huge, hard cones rolled down the hill from pines higher up dropping some seeds as they rolled.
Or, more possibly, the squirrels chewed them out of the cones and carried them to good hiding places in stone crevices and buried them.
Squirrels don't mind these steep slopes at all.

The more obviously light green trees are poplars in the wetter ground right next to the small creek.
They grow there to make the picture pretty!

If anyone has other, better, or more accurate information, please do share it!
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 428
10-24-2021, 12:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very well constructed image. Many thanks for the comprehensive and informative narration. Very good work here.

TT
10-24-2021, 01:47 AM   #3
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting image and thanks for the detailed explanation. It is always good to see nature doing its patch-up work.
10-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A very good shot and description of nature at work. It always amazes me how we can gaze upon countless scenes like this that have taken thousands of years to develop. There have probably been many trees come and gone within this little slide area.

10-24-2021, 12:45 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very cool shot. The slide area is clearly different from the terrain on both sides. That is certainly a steep slope. Your description of the scene seems to be very accurate. I wonder how long ago that this happened. It actually does not look like it is very old in geological time. Thanks for seeing, capturing and posting.
10-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
An old landslide--caused by creek at the bottom of the canyon--is being re-claimed by foothill / gray pines (Pinus sabiniana).
Ground here is very dry through the summer, but can get intensely wet in the short rainy season--which allows for such landslides.
These foothill pines can handle extremely dry and hot summers, so they are often the only coniferous trees on these hot Western California foothills.
I love it when forests re-cover in areas of their loss. This pine tree is not commercially valuable for much of anything except ground stabilization--unless a person wants the pine nuts from the huge cones. And they are good to eat, but hard to access.

How did these trees come to be on this super steep, scarified slope?
Possibly the huge, hard cones rolled down the hill from pines higher up dropping some seeds as they rolled.
Or, more possibly, the squirrels chewed them out of the cones and carried them to good hiding places in stone crevices and buried them.
Squirrels don't mind these steep slopes at all.

The more obviously light green trees are poplars in the wetter ground right next to the small creek.
They grow there to make the picture pretty!

If anyone has other, better, or more accurate information, please do share it!
Angky.
I like much both the composition and the colours of this image. In addition, thanks for the description of the natural characteristics of the area, it is always instructuve when we can match the visual aspect of a landscape with a better understanding of what is represented. Warm regards, Maurizio
10-24-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
A very well constructed image. Many thanks for the comprehensive and informative narration. Very good work here.

TT
Thank you, Tony. I'm always glad to know what your thoughts are on any image.
Angky.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 06:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Interesting image and thanks for the detailed explanation. It is always good to see nature doing its patch-up work.
I really agree with you when we see nature making something good again!
Angky.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 06:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
A very good shot and description of nature at work. It always amazes me how we can gaze upon countless scenes like this that have taken thousands of years to develop. There have probably been many trees come and gone within this little slide area.
Right you are!
How many times has this area had to patch itself up again and again?
Creek keeps flowing, dirt keeps falling, trees keep growing, cycles keep repeating...
Angky.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Very cool shot. The slide area is clearly different from the terrain on both sides. That is certainly a steep slope. Your description of the scene seems to be very accurate. I wonder how long ago that this happened. It actually does not look like it is very old in geological time. Thanks for seeing, capturing and posting.
I am wondering about how long ago this specific slide happened. The soil is thin and the rock quickly exposed, and the base rock is hard. But those trees are some 30-40 years old, I would guess. So they've been there a little while at least.
However, looking at the image again, I see that the trees seem to be associated with older soil overlayments... Not sure what really has happened here.
Maybe need more pictures, and more info from local geologists-- or old local cowboys.
Angky.

---------- Post added 10-24-21 at 06:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
I like much both the composition and the colours of this image. In addition, thanks for the description of the natural characteristics of the area, it is always instructuve when we can match the visual aspect of a landscape with a better understanding of what is represented. Warm regards, Maurizio
I'm glad you found benefit in both the image and the explanatory text.
I find good explanations for photos to be very appreciated too.
Thanks for your note on it.
Angky.