Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
[NWS] Girl Shooting - Double Action!
Posted By: BBear, 12-05-2008, 08:33 AM

Comments/inputs and critiques are welcome!

Lighting info:

(1) 285 camera left thru umbrella (1/4th)
(1) 285 camera right thru umbrella (1/16th)
(1) 285 subject right/left snooted for kicker light (1/16th)

(1) background llight with color gel (not every picture)

Last edited by BBear; 12-05-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Views: 3,230
12-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

in the future please mark such posts as "NSFW" = not safe for work, good thing i dont have anyone behind me...
12-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
in the future please mark such posts as "NSFW" = not safe for work, good thing i dont have anyone behind me...

Absolutely SORRY!

Quickly, how do I change post title?!?!

If not possible, how do I delete this post? (so i can create a new thread?)

sorry again!
12-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I wouldn't worry about changing the post title. It's PG-13.

Well, there was potential here. It's a good effort. But, I find the lighting to be quite flat, lacking depth and much separation from the background.

Watch out for those harsh highlights on the nose and face. Keep moving your lights, to keep up with the model's changing poses. And, watch out for the edges of your seamless paper. Painter tape in shots isn't generally desirable. That's fixed with a quick crop. BTW... I use painter's tape too... it's easier to find than gaffer's tape.

I think these could all be improved by some post-processing... a bit more contrast, tweak the levels to give the colors a bit more punch.

You started out with a nice concept and two lovely subjects... but I feel your lighting needs a bit more practice. I've heard it said, when learning to light, master one light then start adding. It's a very valid learning curve (one that I'm still on too!).

Hope that didn't sound overly harsh. I look forward to your next efforts! Happy shooting!

12-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback man!

Regarding the painter's tape... I cannot believe I missed that while doing my crops... actually it happened before, i think because Lightroom has a small area for the actual picture and it is easier to miss things like this, and then when you see full sizes, you find all these silly mistakes...

Regarding the flat lighting, i tried both frontal lights only and then a kicker light, and thats where the shadows are coming from. That was to avoid any flatting lights.

And practice is the key, getting a bit better time after time!

Thanks again!
12-05-2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Every single shoot I do, I still learn so much. And, give myself a gentle kick for what I could have done. The next shoot, I improve (um... sometimes!).

There are sources out there on the web that break down lighting setups, positions, etc. It's worth doing some research, finding photos out there with lighting that you appreciate and trying to replicate it.

Keep having fun!!

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Thanks for the feedback man!

Regarding the painter's tape... I cannot believe I missed that while doing my crops... actually it happened before, i think because Lightroom has a small area for the actual picture and it is easier to miss things like this, and then when you see full sizes, you find all these silly mistakes...

Regarding the flat lighting, i tried both frontal lights only and then a kicker light, and thats where the shadows are coming from. That was to avoid any flatting lights.

And practice is the key, getting a bit better time after time!

Thanks again!
12-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

... Lightroom has a small area for the actual picture...
I curious what you mean by this? Lr lets you look at photos full screen (nearly - between the top and bottom of the photo and the edge of the screen, there are 68 px. "wasted" by the frame 34 px. on top and 34 px. on the bottom).

Does your workspace look like this...

or like this...
?

Funny though, I didn't notice the tape 'till Hamid mentioned it. Guess I need to work on my critical viewing skills too (and maybe I was distracted).

12-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
I curious what you mean by this? Lr lets you look at photos full screen (nearly - between the top and bottom of the photo and the edge of the screen, there are 68 px. "wasted" by the frame 34 px. on top and 34 px. on the bottom).

Does your workspace look like this...

More like this, but when in Develop, I shut down the left panel, and I also try to shut down the upper panel.

I am never said I CANT see fullscreen in LR, I said my work area is reduced size because of the panels... no surprise here, since I need the panels to work on the pictures.
12-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

More like this, but when in Develop, I shut down the left panel, and I also try to shut down the upper panel.

I am never said I CANT see fullscreen in LR, I said my work area is reduced size because of the panels... no surprise here, since I need the panels to work on the pictures.
Ok, sorry if I sounded condescending... I didn't mean to. I thought you might be new to Lr or something ...

I never use that filmstrip across the bottom, and gain a bunch of real estate that way. What bugs me about Lr is that I can't zoom in while in crop mode, as that would be really handy in leveling horizons etc.
12-05-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Ok, sorry if I sounded condescending... I didn't mean to. I thought you might be new to Lr or something ...

I never use that filmstrip across the bottom, and gain a bunch of real estate that way. What bugs me about Lr is that I can't zoom in while in crop mode, as that would be really handy in leveling horizons etc.
He he he.. it did sound a bit condescending at first, but it is fine! Thanks for the clarification!

And I do use the filmstrip at the bottom a lot (synch and deleting in batch), and I noticed your screenshot is missing the toolbars (crop and other buttons)... maybe because you are in IMPORT mode...

Later!
12-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hamid,
You're right on the money there.
Lighting can make or break a great photo, particularly a studio one.
There's a good lesson in that for all the strobists out there.
Having said that, though, no. 5 has probably turned out the best where the lights have brought out some texture to the subject.
Good try, and keep at it.
12-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
Syb
Veteran Member

Well, let's get back to the models now. I feel little contact with the first model. Somehow only her last portrait reaches me. And she does well, then! That last shot is my favorite of the first model.

But then, BANG, there is the wine girl. Is it the wine? I had not spent a second looking at tape on the floor... the shape of the bottle and the association with things looking alike... This is a tempting lady.

So. I thought let's put it straight. If these girls are selling something, those two shots could make me buy. Whatever. Life insurance? Yes ma'm! (because if the wife finds out... ) A new car! Of course (and then let's sing that famous Tracy Chapman song) A house!

I guess I made my point.

Thanks for sharing!
12-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

He he he.. it did sound a bit condescending at first, but it is fine! Thanks for the clarification!

And I do use the filmstrip at the bottom a lot (synch and deleting in batch), and I noticed your screenshot is missing the toolbars (crop and other buttons)... maybe because you are in IMPORT mode...

Later!
IMPORT mode?... I'm in "Loupe" mode, the normal way I view photos (I feel they load a bit more quickly rather than being in develop all the time). You're right that I usually run the toolbar on the bottom, but I toggled it off by pressing 'T' to illustrate the full screen you can have for cropping should you wish it. Ok, I'm sorry for the thread drift... back to the ladies...
12-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote

Thanks for sharing!

No, thank YOU for the input!

Cheers!
12-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
Veteran Member

In terms of lighting, the 2nd and 5th one came out best, but it's still a bit flat, as mentioned. While some of it is curves and contrast, I think you should increase your lighting ratios more between the key, fill, and kicker lights, and reduce the ambient. It may help to bring the lights closer, as the lighting still seems to be a bit harsh. You may also need to check your flash coverage in the umbrella itself. You may only be lighting up part of the umbrella.