Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Speaking of Red
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Angleton, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 10-29-2021, 08:48 AM

My serious interest in cars began when I was in 6th or 7th grade and spans cars produced from about 1960 to the present. I remain obstinately ignorant about prewar and late-'40s vehicles, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy seeing and photographing them. Here are a couple of red, custom convertibles that I found eye-catching. I'm betting some of the more knowledgeable car people here on the forum will know what they are.

Jer

Views: 399
10-29-2021, 11:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It will be a bit of fun to try to guess...
The top looks like a Ford--sometime around the early 40's, maybe '41 (my gut tells me).
Is the bottom one perhaps a Plymouth--or maybe a Studebaker?
I wasn't alive during those days, but there were still enough of those old cars on the roads when I was in grade school that I started learning them.
(I can't tell any kind of modern cars--after a couple of decades stumbling around the back side of the tropics.)
Interesting cars you posted here!
Angky.
10-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty captures. I only know a few cars earlier than the fifties. I agree with Angky that the first is a Ford (year ?). The second one doesn't look American made to me. Guessing that it may be an Alpha Romero or Volvo. Thanks for posting.
10-29-2021, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
'37 Ford, '41 Plymouth, '69 Chevelle SS, Watkins Glen Gray C7 Corvette

10-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent, an old fashioned "Candy Apple" Red.
10-30-2021, 07:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
It will be a bit of fun to try to guess...
The top looks like a Ford--sometime around the early 40's, maybe '41 (my gut tells me).
Is the bottom one perhaps a Plymouth--or maybe a Studebaker?
I wasn't alive during those days, but there were still enough of those old cars on the roads when I was in grade school that I started learning them.
(I can't tell any kind of modern cars--after a couple of decades stumbling around the back side of the tropics.)
Interesting cars you posted here!
Angky.
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Pretty captures. I only know a few cars earlier than the fifties. I agree with Angky that the first is a Ford (year ?). The second one doesn't look American made to me. Guessing that it may be an Alpha Romero or Volvo. Thanks for posting.
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
'37 Ford, '41 Plymouth, '69 Chevelle SS, Watkins Glen Gray C7 Corvette
Hey guys, thanks for looking, and thanks - ismaelg - for the info. That the second car might be a Plymouth never entered my mind.

Jer

---------- Post added 10-30-2021 at 11:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellent, an old fashioned "Candy Apple" Red.
Thanks, EM. Candy Apple Red was a big deal when I was a kid.

Jer
10-30-2021, 09:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are some striking car photos Jer! The red colors really came out nicely.

10-30-2021, 10:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking closer at the emblem on the front of the second car, I believe it is a Plymouth. Didn't know that Plymouth ever produced a car with that style.
10-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
These are some striking car photos Jer! The red colors really came out nicely.
Hey, thanks Todd. I appreciate the kind words!

Looking closer at the emblem on the front of the second car, I believe it is a Plymouth. Didn't know that Plymouth ever produced a car with that style.
For me, if its pre-war and not a model T, then I'm outta luck.

Jer
10-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Due to Jer's outstanding work on focusing, I went onto his Flickr image and red the badge on the side right ahead of the driver's door. It is a Plymouth Special Deluxe.
10-30-2021, 12:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

That '37 Ford is a real beauty. The styling IMHO, knocks it out of the park. Note the teardrop headlights, the grille, etc. I've said it before, but whoever was doing the Ford styling from 1932 (Jer had a lovely, earlier pix in this series of a '32) to 1941 had a remarkable ability . And I'm not a Ford guy.

Great pix.

Shortly after WW2, when my dad got out of the Canadian military, he had a used '41 Mercury convertible. Cream inn colour. Beautiful car, although I have only seen one pix of it.
10-30-2021, 03:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Due to Jer's outstanding work on focusing, I went onto his Flickr image and red the badge on the side right ahead of the driver's door. It is a Plymouth Special Deluxe.
I'll be @#$%$@@ - I've looked at this image way more than once and I didn't notice the badging at all! Geez I'm getting old!

Thanks, Todd, for spotting this.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
That '37 Ford is a real beauty. The styling IMHO, knocks it out of the park. Note the teardrop headlights, the grille, etc. I've said it before, but whoever was doing the Ford styling from 1932 (Jer had a lovely, earlier pix in this series of a '32) to 1941 had a remarkable ability . And I'm not a Ford guy.

Great pix.

Shortly after WW2, when my dad got out of the Canadian military, he had a used '41 Mercury convertible. Cream inn colour. Beautiful car, although I have only seen one pix of it.
Hey, Les - thanks for looking. And I agree, the Ford's styling is remarkable.

Jer