Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Sunset Swim
Posted By: sajmmiller, 12-05-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm not only interested in feedback on the photo, but also the new frame resulting from an Imagemagick script I've been working on. Thanks!

Taken at Lake Fayetteville using DA 18-55mm

Views: 2,825
12-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
YJD
Veteran Member

I like that Sunset, great picture!

For your frames, I like the fact that the bottom is larger than the rest (I would have prefer it to be a bit larger all around). The white/3D border, I don't really like, I could have prefer a plan border (so no 3D effect).

I have been looking for a program to create borders, and I use the one from Faststone which has his limitation. I have also tried Phatch which is something similar to what you are using but with a GUI, so you can give it a try.

Though Phatch doesn't work well between portrait, landscape and different ratio of a picture size. You need to have a script for each type, which I didn't like. Anyway, I'll come back to it once there will be more options.

Let me know what if your software is easy to use and allow to define border size whatever the size/orientation of the iamge is.
12-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughtful and thorough reply. I wasn't sure about the 3D effect of the frame either. I plan to experiment with some other options.

I don't know how to answer your question regarding Imagemagick's ease of use...I guess that's a matter of opinion, and depends on your experience with command-line programs and scripting. It's really a quite capable, and powerful program, especially when combined with Unix shell scripting, but sometimes I find the sheer number of available commands and options a bit overwhelming. So yes, you can define practically infinite variations of borders, frames, annotations, etc. by combining functionality of multiple options.

Thanks for the links to Phatch and Faststone. I wasn't aware of Phatch...It looks like a project to keep an eye on. I agree that many of the GUI programs, while easy to use, are just too limiting. I also find them to be too time consuming to use on a picture-by-picture basis. What I love about using a script incorporating Imagemagick is that I can use one command (script), to batch or individually perform resizing, local contrast enhancement, sharpening, color profile embedding, framing, annotating, jpeg conversion, etc. and it works for both portrait and landscape orientations. So, after the initial setup, this method is really quite a time saver.

Imagemagick Website

Glad you liked the sunset photo. Thanks again for your feedback.

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
I like that Sunset, great picture!

For your frames, I like the fact that the bottom is larger than the rest (I would have prefer it to be a bit larger all around). The white/3D border, I don't really like, I could have prefer a plan border (so no 3D effect).....

.....Let me know what if your software is easy to use and allow to define border size whatever the size/orientation of the iamge is.
12-06-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is a beautiful picture--thanks.

12-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
This is a beautiful picture--thanks.
Thanks for your comment....glad you liked it!
12-07-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
really nice shot, but I'd be tempted to crop it...
12-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That type of light is really amazing.

12-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
really nice shot, but I'd be tempted to crop it...
Thanks for looking Peter. I played with different crops, but couldn't come up with anything I liked better. Just curious....which sides and how much would you crop?
12-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #9

I like it Scott. I think the frame is fine, but I would make it a little wider on the black portion and that would subdue the white. I don't mind the 3D effect at all. All the mats you buy with borders have a beveled edge on the inside just like yours.

Only nit I can see on the image (and I might be seeing things) is that it looks like the ducks are swimming uphill. It looks to be tilted down a little on the left. Maybe not...

Morg
12-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That type of light is really amazing.
Thanks James. I too really like the "golden hour" wintertime light. Wish I could get out more often to take advantage of it.
12-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wa5am Quote
I like it Scott. I think the frame is fine, but I would make it a little wider on the black portion and that would subdue the white. I don't mind the 3D effect at all. All the mats you buy with borders have a beveled edge on the inside just like yours.

Only nit I can see on the image (and I might be seeing things) is that it looks like the ducks are swimming uphill. It looks to be tilted down a little on the left. Maybe not...

Morg
Hi Morg,

I appreciate your feedback! I've been playing with the frame, and increasing the black portion width does help. I'm still on the fence about the 3D effect and might settle on a narrower plain grey border for that part...can't quite decide. I may post a revised version.

Regarding the image being tilted, I'm not sure. The far shoreline angles away, and the coots are swimming at an angle away. IMHO, it's a difficult photo to evaluate tilt due to lack of an unobstructed horizon and no large enough man-made objects to use as references.

Thanks again for looking and commenting.
12-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The diffraction and reflection of the sun is a bit irritating, I think it would look better to take it out. Still pretty though.
12-09-2008, 12:10 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by sajmmiller Quote
Hi Morg,

<SNIP>
Regarding the image being tilted, I'm not sure. The far shoreline angles away, and the coots are swimming at an angle away. IMHO, it's a difficult photo to evaluate tilt due to lack of an unobstructed horizon and no large enough man-made objects to use as references.

Thanks again for looking and commenting.
You're probably right Scott. The lines, angles and perspective can really throw you off on shots like this. Regardless, it is a nice image.

Morg
12-09-2008, 03:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

wow, speechless

Stunning quality
12-09-2008, 07:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, Kit lens, what a beauty this image is.

Great capture.

marcus