Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
OrionTest
Lens: 50mm f1.7 M Camera: K3II Photo Location: Southbank BC ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F2 
Posted By: aitrus3, 11-02-2021, 08:58 AM

Aperture was one or two clicks off of f1.7
A test shot of Orion on the morning of Oct 6th. It was supposed to be cloudy and I had planned to bring my mount and telescope but didn't because of the forecast. I woke up early anyway and grabbed 20 minutes of data with my K3II to test the lens really.
Processed using SiriL, StareXterminator, Affinity Photo and LRcc

Views: 279
11-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Impressive!
Knowing next to nothing of astro-photography, I'm intrigued by the varied colors and the haze around each of them.
Or is the haze due to PP for the purpose of identifying the constellation's stars?
Thanks for posting the image.
Angky.
11-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
some of the haze is caused by using StareXterminator to erase the stars so I could bring out as much nebulosity detail as I could. Because I stopped the lens down, the bright stars produced diffraction spikes and doing a starless version causes issues with those diffraction spikes. Some of the haze (like around Betelgeuse and Alnitak) is actual nebula that surrounds the star. Mainly though it's from creating a starless version. This region is heavy on the stars and when you try to bring out the nebulae, they dominate the scene. Doing a starless version means you can stretch the nebulae so it is visible but not bring out so many stars. This was my first attempt at doing a starless edit.
11-02-2021, 03:30 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for explaining the processing that you applied to the images. I like the outcome. You indicated that you collected about twenty minutes of data. How many exposes did you use? Thanks for posting.

11-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks for explaining the processing that you applied to the images. I like the outcome. You indicated that you collected about twenty minutes of data. How many exposes did you use? Thanks for posting.
my memory fails me on the combination i did. 20-1 minute exposures? don't remember but something like that.
11-02-2021, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aitrus3 Quote
some of the haze is caused by using StareXterminator to erase the stars so I could bring out as much nebulosity detail as I could. Because I stopped the lens down, the bright stars produced diffraction spikes and doing a starless version causes issues with those diffraction spikes. Some of the haze (like around Betelgeuse and Alnitak) is actual nebula that surrounds the star. Mainly though it's from creating a starless version. This region is heavy on the stars and when you try to bring out the nebulae, they dominate the scene. Doing a starless version means you can stretch the nebulae so it is visible but not bring out so many stars. This was my first attempt at doing a starless edit.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all this!
Completely new info for me.
Angky.