Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Researching the sea
Lens: DFA 100mm Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Eierlandse Gat, the Netherlands ISO: 100 
Posted By: Fries, 11-02-2021, 02:36 PM

I am a very lucky person that works hard to tell stories about nature and sometimes what that nature say's about us. Trough my contacts I was granted acces to researchers from the Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research doing some field work in the Waddensea. They are basically trying to find out which hard surfaces attract sea life and what kinds of sea life. Apart from the Sony camcorder provided by my employer; a regional, publicly funded broadcaster I also brought my K-1 with the DFA 100mm which I don't use that much.

Because we have a partnership with the biggest Dutch news broadcaster NOS sometimes when one of new stories is deemed important enough they use it on their national, online platforms. In this case they did so my Pentax photo's have gotten some national exposure: Kunstmatige riffen van perenbomen in de Waddenzee | NOS

And here are some of those photo's on a slightly bigger scale. I think you understand why I chose to take this lens with me this time.

Cheers,

Remco

1. Scientists are looking into a cage with some hard 'substrate'.

2. A shrimp.

3. A small sea ​​urchin.

4. Some sort of sea snail.

Views: 504
11-02-2021, 03:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
great pictures !!!
11-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #3

Dear Remco, your photoreportage is truly interesting and very well executed, congratulations for its publication on the online magazine! I agree, the choice of the 100 2.8 macro has been the right one, considering the closeup photos you had to do. In the closeup, you were able to obtain a blurred background, which helped to focus the attention on the subject. Well done! I opened the link to that reportage on NOS magazine, and I found this project (described in the reportage) a truly innovative example of active protection of an ecosystem. Thank you for having shared with us this important and stimulating work!
All the best, Maurizio
11-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great photos and interesting information about the environmental studies being conducted to determine the make up of the environment that attracts certain species. Glad that you are able to document this work. Thanks again for sharing with us.

11-03-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That lens did the precisely as it was intended!
I am quite pleased to note that you are so involved with reporting nature.
Good images you provided.
Angky.
11-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nixxo2002 Quote
great pictures !!!
Thanks! I did trow away a few that weren't as good. Culling photo's is also an important skill!

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
Dear Remco, your photoreportage is truly interesting and very well executed, congratulations for its publication on the online magazine! I agree, the choice of the 100 2.8 macro has been the right one, considering the closeup photos you had to do. In the closeup, you were able to obtain a blurred background, which helped to focus the attention on the subject. Well done! I opened the link to that reportage on NOS magazine, and I found this project (described in the reportage) a truly innovative example of active protection of an ecosystem. Thank you for having shared with us this important and stimulating work!
All the best, Maurizio
Thanks for your appreciation Maurizio! The researchers and the institutions supporting their work were also really happy with the publicity. On social media there were some pretty critical reactions to about the work done here. But that comes with the territory. I cover the story as good as I can, leaving people with enough information to form an opinion.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great photos and interesting information about the environmental studies being conducted to determine the make up of the environment that attracts certain species. Glad that you are able to document this work. Thanks again for sharing with us.
Thanks Mike! Even on a national scale there aren't that much journalists specialized in reporting on nature and I do feel pressure to perform as best as I can. We currently have serious staff shortages and I have been called upon quite often to help out. And that does impact my ability to cover this stuff!

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
That lens did the precisely as it was intended!
I am quite pleased to note that you are so involved with reporting nature.
Good images you provided.
Angky.
Thanks Angky! I am happy to that I am able to do this. Apart from the wonderful locations I am able to visit I am also learning a lot.

Cheers,

Remco
11-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remco, you are indeed a Lucy man and thank you for taken us along on some of your assignments. Wonderful images.

11-06-2021, 02:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Remco, you are indeed a Lucy man and thank you for taken us along on some of your assignments. Wonderful images.
Thank you Heinrich! Glad you liket it.
11-06-2021, 02:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As always great stuff, Remco!
11-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
As always great stuff, Remco!
Thanks Norbert! As you probably know by now 'das Wattenmeer' has a special place in my heart.
11-08-2021, 12:30 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Thanks Norbert! As you probably know by now 'das Wattenmeer' has a special place in my heart.
... and I share this enthusiasm for the "Wattenmeer"! Unfortunately I have only a few opportunities each year to visit this great place. When I was younger I used to spend several weeks each summer at the "Nordseeküste"
I found it is very difficult to explain to people who have not experienced that area themselves what is so special about this "mud" ...
11-08-2021, 02:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
... and I share this enthusiasm for the "Wattenmeer"! Unfortunately I have only a few opportunities each year to visit this great place. When I was younger I used to spend several weeks each summer at the "Nordseeküste"
I found it is very difficult to explain to people who have not experienced that area themselves what is so special about this "mud" ...
If you ever find yourself in the Dutch ‘Wadden area’ and have some time on your hand contact me! I’ll be glad to share some nice spots with you and if I can find the time show them personally too you.
11-10-2021, 02:14 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
If you ever find yourself in the Dutch ‘Wadden area’ and have some time on your hand contact me! I’ll be glad to share some nice spots with you and if I can find the time show them personally too you.
Thanks for the kind offer Remco! Could be a great idea for a motrbike ride next year