Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Arctic town and coast
Lens: Samyang 24mm, DA*300mm Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Varangerhalvøya, Norwayy 
Posted By: Fries, 11-07-2021, 05:17 PM

Some more from my trip to Northern Norway in september. The Varangerhalvøya is a peninsula that is not only above the arctic circle but it is also in the only part of the Norwegian landmass that is in the official arctic region. If I am not mistaken. I had a drive along the coast and these are pictures of stuff that stood out for me.

Cheers,

Remco

1. The town of Vardø. At the other side of the fjord you are in Russia. Thus the big radar installations and from what I have heard some Americans too. There is something special about the way this small town hugs the landscape.

2. Lots of rocky outcrops like this along the coast.

3. The fishing village of Hamningberg. When the Germans withdrew in the Second World war they almost burned every building in the province of Finnmark (and some in the norther parts of the province of Troms too). This village was spared that fate.

4. One part of the machinery that was used to get the fishing boats up to the shore. The decline of the fishing industry along this coast has had a major impact.

5. Along the road between Hamningberg and Vardø.

6. Sea sheep.

7. And I'll conclude with a handheld panorama of Vardø with the DA*300mm. A cruise- and freight ship from Hurtigruten is approaching the town in the right of the picture.

Views: 411
11-07-2021, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does not look like a good place to graze sheep.
11-08-2021, 12:13 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for the beautiful photos and for the well constructed reportage from that rarely visited region. The sea sheep are amazing, probably a new species and surely waterproof !
11-08-2021, 04:00 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Does not look like a good place to graze sheep.
No it doesn't! But it is not uncommon for sheep to get some feed from stuff that grows in the sea I have noticed along 'my' sea coast in the Netherlands.

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
Thank you for the beautiful photos and for the well constructed reportage from that rarely visited region. The sea sheep are amazing, probably a new species and surely waterproof !
They will float for some time but I hope they returned to land before a hight tide swept them away. Thanks Maurizio!

11-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really interesting territory. I had not thought of it being so close to Russia. The town of Vardo seems to be packed into a relatively small area. First I've heard of sea sheep. They look a little out of place. I like that rugged background behind the sheep. Thanks for sharing these photos and some history of the area.
11-09-2021, 08:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Really interesting territory. I had not thought of it being so close to Russia. The town of Vardo seems to be packed into a relatively small area. First I've heard of sea sheep. They look a little out of place. I like that rugged background behind the sheep. Thanks for sharing these photos and some history of the area.
Thanks Mike! Naming these sheep 'sea sheep' was in jest but irony doesn't alway's translate that well. Not only in Vardø but in more parts of Eastern Finnmark you see military installations to keep an eye out for what is happening near the Russian border. You can visit the border near Kirkenes. Some time ago I read on the Norwegian news that a sign had been put op to ask people, mostly men I pressume, not too pee towards the Russian border. I guess because it was considered slightly inpolite towards the Russian border guards...😉
11-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the images and the commentary.
Quite informative. And interesting!
This primes a person's mind to seeing things in a new way. (I've never been to the arctic, and these scenes, compared to the tropics, are fascinating to contemplate.)
Angky.

11-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Thanks for the images and the commentary.
Quite informative. And interesting!
This primes a person's mind to seeing things in a new way. (I've never been to the arctic, and these scenes, compared to the tropics, are fascinating to contemplate.)
Angky.
Glad to be of some service! It is good to be mindful though of the fact that I am only a regular visitor to the region. My knowledge and observations are not on the level of a good travel writer that will check extensively and find some more background information on the stuff that I share. It is all anecdotal and sometimes the anecdotes add up and sollidify to something approaching facts!
11-09-2021, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

“Sea sheep” ROFLMAO!