Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Fog Droplets On Mallow
Lens: HD Pentax-D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Orange County ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: angkymac, 11-10-2021, 09:13 PM

Not a hibiscus, but a relative--a mallow, I'm told.
Native to Europe, but becoming an invasive specie in the Americas.
Very pretty simple small flowers.

The background here has been darkened a fair amount to allow the bloom to be in attention.
The bloom has had a bit of contrast and sharpening, but minimal.
Angky

Oops! I didn't notice white blemish on the lower petal! Should have cleaned that one off.
The 10:00 o-clock petal has some kind of aberration too. I don't know what it was, or what caused it, but it's part of the interest of the flower--there when I took the shot.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Last edited by angkymac; 11-10-2021 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Found a PP error!
Views: 313
11-11-2021, 06:37 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The flower looks like it's UV fluorescent - it's so intense.
11-11-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice image. The flower does stand out with its rich color against the background. Minor imperfections in nature occur. They don't detract from this image. Thanks for sharing.
11-11-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice image Angky! I really like how you darkened the background to allow the beautiful colors to really pop. Thanks for identifying this flower. I have an image of one from a few years ago and didn't know what it is.

11-11-2021, 07:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This really stands out against the dark background
11-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Not a hibiscus, but a relative--a mallow, I'm told.
Native to Europe, but becoming an invasive specie in the Americas.
Very pretty simple small flowers.

The background here has been darkened a fair amount to allow the bloom to be in attention.
The bloom has had a bit of contrast and sharpening, but minimal.
Angky

Oops! I didn't notice white blemish on the lower petal! Should have cleaned that one off.
The 10:00 o-clock petal has some kind of aberration too. I don't know what it was, or what caused it, but it's part of the interest of the flower--there when I took the shot.

Wonderful image, Angky! The colour of the flower against the darker background, as already noted, is incredible, and also the composition works very well.
11-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
The flower looks like it's UV fluorescent - it's so intense.
Yes, now that you mention it!
It looked pretty intensely colored, which is a major reason why I took so many shots of it.
Perhaps, though, the intense coloration was increased a bit by adding a little bit of contrast.
Thanks for the observation!
Angky

---------- Post added 11-11-21 at 04:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Very nice image. The flower does stand out with its rich color against the background. Minor imperfections in nature occur. They don't detract from this image. Thanks for sharing.
It did stand out; it really had a brilliant color. But darkening the background enhanced that a lot.
Thanks for the note!
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-11-21 at 04:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice image Angky! I really like how you darkened the background to allow the beautiful colors to really pop. Thanks for identifying this flower. I have an image of one from a few years ago and didn't know what it is.
I was told its identity by somebody on this forum who very kindly identified a similar plant that I had posted. So thanks to you folks here on this site who helped me!
This particular plant, however, really blazed colors! Glad I stumbled across it!
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-11-21 at 04:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
This really stands out against the dark background
Thanks for your note of appreciation, EM!
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-11-21 at 04:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
Wonderful image, Angky! The colour of the flower against the darker background, as already noted, is incredible, and also the composition works very well.
Thanks for your note on the composition. I puzzled for quite a few minutes trying to decide the best way to present it. Glad you like it.
Angky.