Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
East Across Valley Before Sunup
Lens: Tokina SD 400mm f:5.6 Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Mid Willamette Valley Oregon ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: angkymac, 11-19-2021, 02:13 PM

Looking east across the Willamette valley to the foothills of the Cascades (Linn County).
Light was coming from cloud reflections.
Grass was an even green to my eye; I notice in this image a definite change in green and brilliance from center outward right and left (but not vertically after the bottom fourth).
I wonder if the lens tends to vignette. I cropped off the lower third of the image, so we see from about the center to the top.
Or perhaps the change in luminosity in the grass comes from refraction through the very dense water droplets (heavy dew) on the grass.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 460
11-19-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a very picturesque scene. Beautiful misty mountains in the background, the tree line and an expanse of green grass in the foreground. Altogether a very nice photo which would look very nice in a large print on the wall.
11-19-2021, 06:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
This is a very picturesque scene. Beautiful misty mountains in the background, the tree line and an expanse of green grass in the foreground. Altogether a very nice photo which would look very nice in a large print on the wall.
Thank you, Mike!
This one was my first experiment with this scene.
I'll work some more with other shots I got.
Angky.
11-20-2021, 03:04 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Looking east across the Willamette valley to the foothills of the Cascades (Linn County).
Light was coming from cloud reflections.
Grass was an even green to my eye; I notice in this image a definite change in green and brilliance from center outward right and left (but not vertically after the bottom fourth).
I wonder if the lens tends to vignette. I cropped off the lower third of the image, so we see from about the center to the top.
Or perhaps the change in luminosity in the grass comes from refraction through the very dense water droplets (heavy dew) on the grass.
Angky.
I agree, that is a very picturesque landscape! I believe that the composition that you chose, in three sections of approximately the same width (grass, hills and skye) is particularly effective. I can't help about your question concerning the uneven color of the grass, but it seems to be too much "local" (I mean, the brighter part is restricted to the center of the grass area) to be due to lens vignetting, so perhaps I would lean more to your other explanation.

11-20-2021, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maucard Quote
I agree, that is a very picturesque landscape! I believe that the composition that you chose, in three sections of approximately the same width (grass, hills and skye) is particularly effective. I can't help about your question concerning the uneven color of the grass, but it seems to be too much "local" (I mean, the brighter part is restricted to the center of the grass area) to be due to lens vignetting, so perhaps I would lean more to your other explanation.
Thank you much for your evaluation!
The "three sections" gives me a tool to use when creating future compositions. (I only know how to "feel good" about what I see.)
Your observation about the "local" brightness makes sense. I'll have to look at heavy dew on somewhat backlit scenes to see if that is how they really do appear.
Very helpful! Thanks!
Angky.
11-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What a cool landscape - good stuff!!

Jer
11-21-2021, 07:46 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
What a cool landscape - good stuff!!

Jer
Thank you, Jer.
The landscape itself was very stunning in the early light; very dark with a very bright sky. But recording it as three widely different images of 1.5 stops each, and then combining them in HDR was a bit disappointing. This image I finally decided I could live with.
I'll have to work on learning better technique with that HDR on such landscapes.
But I'm glad you appreciate it!
Angky.

11-24-2021, 05:53 AM   #8
Unregistered User

landscape greeting

Dear Angkymac,

thank you for this beautiful landscape, and for your comment on my Jupiter-Saturn-Moon-Venus as evening star photograph...

Just before I'm leaving this forum after six weeks, I would like to greet you with a landscape from South West Germany (again unnecessary & extreme downsizing), which I photographed only a few weeks after having bought my first K-1 in 2017. Did you know that PENTAX call themselves »the analogous among the digital camera manufacturers«? I took this photograph with my (then) 31 year old SMC PENTAX-A Zoom 28~135 mm bought in 1986, one of my favourite PENTAX lenses. As a photographer, literally translated: light-writer, I never change or work on photographs afterwards, because what remains is digital manipulation instead of original light-writing. The K-1 machine offers more than 3,000 options to adjust any photograph to what our eyes see via »live view« BEFORE pressing the button.

As I already wrote farewell to Adam, if you would like to stay in contact, write to post@lichtraumzeit.de

Take care

Borealis
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
11-24-2021, 05:10 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Really nice composition and colors. Thanks for posting.
11-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Borealis Quote
Dear Angkymac,

thank you for this beautiful landscape, and for your comment on my Jupiter-Saturn-Moon-Venus as evening star photograph...

Just before I'm leaving this forum after six weeks, I would like to greet you with a landscape from South West Germany (again unnecessary & extreme downsizing), which I photographed only a few weeks after having bought my first K-1 in 2017. Did you know that PENTAX call themselves »the analogous among the digital camera manufacturers«? I took this photograph with my (then) 31 year old SMC PENTAX-A Zoom 28~135 mm bought in 1986, one of my favourite PENTAX lenses. As a photographer, literally translated: light-writer, I never change or work on photographs afterwards, because what remains is digital manipulation instead of original light-writing. The K-1 machine offers more than 3,000 options to adjust any photograph to what our eyes see via »live view« BEFORE pressing the button.

As I already wrote farewell to Adam, if you would like to stay in contact, write to post@lichtraumzeit.de

Take care

Borealis
Well, I do thank you for your entrancing image of layers of mountains!
Hopefully your future in "light-writing" continues to bring good things to our world as you record the beauty of the world as you see it.
Angky.

---------- Post added 11-26-21 at 10:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Really nice composition and colors. Thanks for posting.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Thanks for the comment!
Angky.