Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Mammoth Rocks of Bear Cave Trail
Lens: Sigma 10-20 DC Camera: Pentax KP Photo Location: Petit Jean State Park ISO: 2500 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: MikeNArk, 11-29-2021, 09:16 PM

Photos from the Bear Cave Trail at Petit Jean State Park. Comments welcome.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 477
11-29-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Comments welcome.
Well...we all need to drop a few comments at the moment

That's an impressive trail. I wonder how many years (centuries...millenia?) it will be before that massive rock in the first shot is undercut enough to topple.
11-30-2021, 03:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Great series!
11-30-2021, 06:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice series. Maybe try a polarizer next time - might help with the skies and colours.

11-30-2021, 06:25 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazing formations! My first thought, on seeing the first image, was that it was a glacial erratic, but I don't think that there were ever glaciers in Arkansas. Then I realized that it was part of the rest of the formations, just weathered. Looks like a great place!
11-30-2021, 06:43 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fantastic shots of some incredible rock formations! Fall looks like a great time to visit. The colors really stand out amongst the rocks.
11-30-2021, 07:14 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Well...we all need to drop a few comments at the moment

That's an impressive trail. I wonder how many years (centuries...millenia?) it will be before that massive rock in the first shot is undercut enough to topple.
Thanks or your comments. That's an interesting question for that rock sooner than others.

---------- Post added 11-30-21 at 08:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reynb Quote
Great series!
Thank you. Glad you liked it.

---------- Post added 11-30-21 at 08:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
Nice series. Maybe try a polarizer next time - might help with the skies and colours.
Thank you. You are right that a polarizer would have helped. Though overcast, the light was harsh.

---------- Post added 11-30-21 at 08:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Amazing formations! My first thought, on seeing the first image, was that it was a glacial erratic, but I don't think that there were ever glaciers in Arkansas. Then I realized that it was part of the rest of the formations, just weathered. Looks like a great place!
Thanks for your nice comments. There is information in the park about the formation of these features, but I haven't reviewed them recently. Petit Jean Mtn. State Park is one of my favorite places for hiking.

---------- Post added 11-30-21 at 08:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Fantastic shots of some incredible rock formations! Fall looks like a great time to visit. The colors really stand out amongst the rocks.
Thanks for your comments, also. The reason that we went to Petit Jean was to capture some fall colors. We went to several sites in the park on this date. I made a few earlier posts related to this visit. One was specific to fall colors. I'll probably post a few more photos related to this visit. It is a great place to visit.

11-30-2021, 03:26 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love shooting rocks like these.
And you did an amazing job of making the rocks step right out of the general scenery and be noticed!
Thanks for the great example!
Angky.
11-30-2021, 05:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Love shooting rocks like these.
And you did an amazing job of making the rocks step right out of the general scenery and be noticed!
Thanks for the great example!
Angky.
Thanks Angky. It would have been nice to have a nice sunny day for photos. A lot of those photos were shot at the widest angle to get them in the frame. This park has many natural features for photography.
11-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images and I love the rocks. It looks like a really cool place to visit.
11-30-2021, 06:22 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Great images and I love the rocks. It looks like a really cool place to visit.
Thanks. It is a cool place to visit. It has a nice waterfall (when there has been rain), a view of the Arkansas river below, many camping areas, nice hiking trails and interesting rock formations.
11-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks Angky. It would have been nice to have a nice sunny day for photos. A lot of those photos were shot at the widest angle to get them in the frame. This park has many natural features for photography.
Well, I think you might have enjoyed a sunny day, but I think the day you had was much better for photography.
When I can get wet rocks, and even lighting on the leaves, I really like it. You made some good shots of those wet rocks.
Angky.