Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
What a strange iPhone glitch!
Lens: 4.2mm Camera: iPhone 11 Photo Location: Driveway ISO: 50 Shutter Speed: 1/350s 
Posted By: UncleVanya, 12-03-2021, 06:53 AM

Iso is actually 32. Time was 1/397th seconds.

Take a look in the wheel well. There’s been zero manipulation of this image by me, but it appears the iPhone attempted to make sense of the flare and did a very poor job of it. Make sure to click through to Flickr and zoom in.

Weird iPhone processing error by -vanya_42nd-
Views: 482
12-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #2
5ks
Pentaxian

Quite interesting, yes. All extra effects are not necessarily of a natural kind, nor welcome.
12-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The wonders of computational photography... it's amazing what can be done with on-device software image processing these days.
12-03-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Computational imaging" I think is what my computer-oriented kids of mine call it!
They tell me that their i-phone does better than my "old-school" Pentax DSLR!
Yeah, ok!!!
But I've found the i-phone to have a benefit on the freeway! Crazy drivers understand i-phones very well!!!
Angky.

12-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #5
Lev
Veteran Member

This is something iPhone shooters are proud of!! FREE AUTOMATIC REALTIME EFFECTS
12-03-2021, 04:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, it looks like the bright spot in the sky is partially displayed above the front tire. Maybe a new fangled/processed lens flare?
12-03-2021, 05:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Well, it looks like the bright spot in the sky is partially displayed above the front tire. Maybe a new fangled/processed lens flare?
Indeed. I suspect an AI glitch.

12-03-2021, 06:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Strange. I have an iPhone and haven't seen anything similar. I'll be on the lookout now.
12-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Strange. I have an iPhone and haven't seen anything similar. I'll be on the lookout now.
I posted another iPhone shot in my Flickr feed of a different sort. To the naked eye the screen of my laptop was pitch black and the barest hint of a reflection could be seen. The iPhone was able to create an exposure that restored color and revealed my face with zero user intervention. The selfie shot is the reverse of this glitch. It shows how image manipulation can work and be a powerful way to empower a casual photographer with an image that is mostly right despite complex lighting.

Invisible Selfie by -vanya_42nd-
12-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats definitely strange. Were you shooting through a window by any chance?
12-03-2021, 08:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
Thats definitely strange. Were you shooting through a window by any chance?
Nope. Standing outside a few feet from the truck.
12-04-2021, 07:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Nope. Standing outside a few feet from the truck.
Then I looks like the branches may have been reflecting into the lens as well. Maybe by some chance they were reflecting off the front window and hit the sensor at just the right angle hahah
12-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the naked eye the screen of my laptop was pitch black and the barest hint of a reflection could be seen. The iPhone was able to create an exposure that restored color and revealed my face with zero user intervention. The selfie shot is the reverse of this glitch. It shows how image manipulation can work and be a powerful way to empower a casual photographer with an image that is mostly right despite complex lighting.
Is this what you saw on your phone screen before you pressed the shutter? I find on my own phone (not an iPhone) that the LiveView image doesn't get the same processing as the saved JPEG (along with more subtle differences between viewing the image on two very different displays), which makes photography more of a hit and miss process than using a DSLR. If you can't predict how a photograph will turn out, both casual and non-casual photographers will end up frustrated more often than using a more predictable device (even if the more predictable device is far less capable).

As it is, most modern photographers (both casual and non-casual) are tending to employ a lottery technique; take lots of photos to improve the odds of finding a winner when we check them later. This becomes less rewarding when the time required to get a winner gets longer and the overall glut of photographs reduces the value of the few good ones. This might be the factor that differentiates a passing fad from a long time passion.

---------- Post added 12-04-21 at 12:02 PM ----------

Thinking back to the first 30 years of my picture taking hobby, my main source of frustration was seeing a great image in the viewfinder and discovering that the developed result was wasted because of a failure in technique. Gradually, my technique improved to the point where the main source of frustration was not being able to capture an image because of the limitations of film and my equipment.

I've never taken pictures to be creative, my motivation has always been to make souvenirs of my experiences. I think truly artistic photographers are rather rare creatures, which means that enhancing new equipment to make us common folk more artistic is likely to be wasted (it might help sell more expensive smartphones and standalone cameras in the short term, which is all that matters if you are in the business of making those devices).

Does the application of AI technology to photography empower photographers? I would argue that taking away the opportunity for the photographer to apply his or her learned skills to take better photos is the opposite of empowerment. It seems to me that eventually the people who are passionate about photography will gravitate back to dumber equipment and the less passionate will move on to something completely different.
12-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Is this what you saw on your phone screen before you pressed the shutter?
Yes I saw my reflection in that way which is why I was compelled to take the shot.

---------- Post added 12-04-21 at 04:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dneira29 Quote
Then I looks like the branches may have been reflecting into the lens as well. Maybe by some chance they were reflecting off the front window and hit the sensor at just the right angle hahah
I don’t think so as it looks like the sun is in the center of that false image in the wheel well. The sun was behind the truck. I’m fairly sure this is either a massive flare or ai run amok.
12-04-2021, 08:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes I saw my reflection in that way which is why I was compelled to take the shot.

---------- Post added 12-04-21 at 04:27 PM ----------

I don’t think so as it looks like the sun is in the center of that false image in the wheel well. The sun was behind the truck. I’m fairly sure this is either a massive flare or ai run amok.
Im with massive flair!