Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
A few from a wedding
Posted By: Taff, 12-07-2008, 03:11 PM

I wasn't the official photographer, actually i was the ''told not to bring my camera" photographer. My Bride (now sister in law) told me that I was not allowed to take photo's at her wedding as the hired photographer's had told her so. I obviously ignored this ridiculous request. With the final result being her asking me for the disc as she was unhappy with her pro shots.
I was shooting from afar with a zoom so couldn't use flash etc.

Views: 2,767
12-07-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
You did a nice job Taff. It's to bad your new sister in law didn't have you do the photography. But then again she has to live and learn.
12-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shots! I bet your new SIL is glad that you ignored the "Pro" photographer's idiotic request.

That reminds me of a wedding that I went to several years back of one of my husband's cousins (the bride). When she came down the aisle, flashes started popping--it was like the papparazi. Other than the pro photographer (and maybe an assistant), all the flashes were coming from family and friends who had brought their cameras (mainly p&s). I haven't seen anything like it before or since that wedding, including my own! My husband's family is definitely a photogenic bunch.

Heather
12-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #4

So the 'pro' put an embargo on 'other' photographers. I can't think of anything more pathetic.

Sorry, lied. I'm just imagining their inner reaction when they saw a 'competitor' snapping away and their complete inability to do anything about it. The toys must have been flying about the pram like never before. Must have been torture for the poor little soul. Ah, bless...

Anyway, it was lucky you were there and camera'd up if the 'pro' couldn't come up with the goods in the end.

One, [correction], at least 4 to you.

12-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks guys, I later found out that my SIL had told fibs about the request of the pro's and it was her that didn't want ME taking photo's
took me a while to give her a disc as I said these were for my personal collection hehehe

I will post some more pics soon
12-07-2008, 05:48 PM   #6

oops! who's the cheeky one now!
12-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few simple portraits
12-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

First of all, your photo's look nice...

second, I'm a little peeved....

I think it's interesting that you have all chastized the pro's "ridiculous" "idiotic" and "pathetic" request to restrict guest photography, when the truth is most wedding photographers write this into their contract, it often only applies to the fomal portraits but can easily be misunderstood by the B&G as no cameras whatsoever!

I have a clause written into my wedding contract restricting guest photography during the formal sessions because it's very important that every subject (being carefully posed) is paying attention to ME! If I'm not the only one shooting than that almost never happens.

[sarcasm] Every bride loves a beautiful shot of the wedding party where only half the people are looking at the correct camera. [/sarcasm]

Another reason to restrict guest photography, which doesn't apply to me because of the business model that I use, is that many photographers rely on prints to make a living! I know numerous wedding photogs that charge a low fee for the event and rely on print sales to feed their children. If "unkle bob" takes a snap of a the photographers carefully composed shot, goodbye print sales.

I'm always careful to explain what the guest photography restrictions mean and when they apply, and also give my reasons for doing so, and I have never had a bride or groom object. Not all photographers review their contracts and the guest photography restrictions can often be misconstrued to "hey everybody leave your cameras at home! I'm the only one allowed to shoot." when that is almost never the case.

Whether you agree with this or not, well that's your opinion, but I think it's important to fully understand the nature of the wedding photography business, and the pressure these photographers are under, before you start throwing around the choice adjectives you have opted to use.

Show a little respect to the Bride, the groom, and the professional they have paid to do a job.

That's it for my rant...

nothing to see here, return to your homes...

12-07-2008, 06:00 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
Thanks guys, I later found out that my SIL had told fibs about the request of the pro's and it was her that didn't want ME taking photo's
took me a while to give her a disc as I said these were for my personal collection hehehe

I will post some more pics soon
I was typing my response when you posted this, but based on your assumptions, it all still applies...

And to clarify, I'm not bothered that you brought your camera and took pictures, it looks like you stayed out of the pro's way. I'm ticked that he was called a ridiculous patheric idiot for a common industry practice.
12-07-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I respect your opinion ben, and agree with what you are saying. If you notice that the set up shots are taken from the side, I was quite some way off and didn't distract the Bride or Groom. Later at the reception where no photographer was there I took the portraits.
Secondly the Pro's took off to the beach with the selected Party to take some 'pro' shots and I had the respect not to follow them here
I do realise that people do need to make a living and as such I didn't even show my happy snaps until the B&G had purchased their package.
12-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Taff Quote
I respect your opinion ben, and agree with what you are saying. If you notice that the set up shots are taken from the side, I was quite some way off and didn't distract the Bride or Groom. Later at the reception where no photographer was there I took the portraits.
Secondly the Pro's took off to the beach with the selected Party to take some 'pro' shots and I had the respect not to follow them here
I do realise that people do need to make a living and as such I didn't even show my happy snaps until the B&G had purchased their package.
I did notice that your pictures didn't look poached, and I think you acted appropriately in terms of the shots you took.

In fact the portraits you took are fantastic, for a couple of reasons. First they are nice pictures, second the "pro" often doesn't have time to take simple portraits of guests who are often very important parts of the Bride/Grooms lives but don't make it into the formal shots. You documented a part of the event that the pro may not have been able to, and that certainly is a gift to to your new SIL.

Like I already said, I don't think you are in the wrong bringing your camera, and taking pictures while being careful to respect the photographer that there doing his/her job. I was just pissed that over 3 posts the "pro" was knocked down to a pathetic idiot, that's all.
12-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

[QUOTE=Taff;412313]I wasn't the official photographer, actually i was the ''told not to bring my camera" photographer. My Bride (now sister in law) told me that I was not allowed to take photo's at her wedding as the hired photographer's had told her so. I obviously ignored this ridiculous request. With the final result being her asking me for the disc as she was unhappy with her pro shots.
I was shooting from afar with a zoom so couldn't use flash etc.
[URL="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/[QUOTE]

Good for you and you did a great job.

I had similar experience with a prof shooting D200 , prof 17-50mmF2.8 & a huge flash bracket-all standard prof gear.
Turned out that Pentax simple design (cheapo DL/FA28mm/Sigma 500ST) did quite well (compared with gears 4 times the costs)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=584746&forum_id=94&jump_to=844301#p844301

Daniel
12-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Funny (or gratifying ) that other Nikon guy came out later on in the thread defending Nikon gears (spD200) . Well it was all operator's oversight which counts a lot more than the gear they are using.

Daniel
12-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Great shots Taft. Maybe she just wanted you to have a good time and not worry about taking pictures. Or maybe not
12-07-2008, 11:44 PM   #15
Damn Brit

Ha ha, that's a good story Taff. Methinks some radical PP work may be in order as punishment.

Good work BTW.