Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
17 Likes  
Three Ears to the Heavens (and a comet!)
Posted By: Ken Lee, 12-07-2021, 06:28 PM

Comet NEOWISE and some radio telescopes.

While I am a night photographer, I usually don't photograph specific celestial events, but with a comet coming around every 6800 years or so, I couldn't stay away. And I'm glad I didn't. I could easily see it with my own eyes, and it was a fascinating, beautiful thing to behold. I illuminated the dish with a handheld ProtoMachines LED light painting device during the exposure.

Views: 850
12-20-2023, 12:39 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
Thank you, Tony. I put a lot of thought behind what I wanted for the subject.

For those who don't know or can't tell, my night photography is about the earthbound elements first, so even when I photograph celestial events such as Comet NEOWISE, the earthbound subject is the main subject. When one thinks of night photography as this, compositions become a little easier, in my opinion, because you automatically have a strong subject.

And yes, a little patience pays off. A lot of people don't have patience or want instant results. And that's not what night photography is ever about, really. It's a very deliberate form of photography, extremely creative, and done with long exposures. Pre-visualization is necessary if you want the best results, so having a vision of what your composition is going to be about helps immensely.
Reading your comments made me think of all the patience and effort O. Winston Link put into his stunning nighttime railroad oriented photographs, in an era where he sometimes set up many flashbulbs for one change to capture a single image.

12-20-2023, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bspn Quote
Reading your comments made me think of all the patience and effort O. Winston Link put into his stunning nighttime railroad oriented photographs, in an era where he sometimes set up many flashbulbs for one change to capture a single image.
Well, that guy is a towering giant in the field of night photography (along with Michael Kenna, Bill Brandt, Alfred Stieglitz, the Vargas Brothers, Paul Martin, and others).

Absolutely stunning, and yes, he had very involved, complicated setups, which make his photos all the more amazing.
12-20-2023, 04:49 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote
Thank you, Tony. I put a lot of thought behind what I wanted for the subject.

For those who don't know or can't tell, my night photography is about the earthbound elements first, so even when I photograph celestial events such as Comet NEOWISE, the earthbound subject is the main subject. When one thinks of night photography as this, compositions become a little easier, in my opinion, because you automatically have a strong subject.

And yes, a little patience pays off. A lot of people don't have patience or want instant results. And that's not what night photography is ever about, really. It's a very deliberate form of photography, extremely creative, and done with long exposures. Pre-visualization is necessary if you want the best results, so having a vision of what your composition is going to be about helps immensely.

Well sir, you are absolutely correct. Patience is a virtue that unfortunately is being depleted by (in photo gear) Auto Everything. However here, with your process the results

are quite spectacular and personally rewarding by creating wonderful Photographic Artistry. It would be very difficult to improve on near perfection and again, many thanks

for this superb effort.

Tony )
12-23-2023, 03:57 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Well sir, you are absolutely correct. Patience is a virtue that unfortunately is being depleted by (in photo gear) Auto Everything. However here, with your process the results

are quite spectacular and personally rewarding by creating wonderful Photographic Artistry. It would be very difficult to improve on near perfection and again, many thanks

for this superb effort.

Tony )
Thanks. This form of photography - night photography - is definitely the opposite of auto everything. It's manual everything. It's not that difficult, but it does take a bit of practice. Thank you very much!