Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
An Era Past
Lens: 35-70 Camera: Pentax MX Photo Location: Java ISO: 100 
Posted By: angkymac, 12-08-2021, 03:06 PM

I have a different sort of image that I would want to share with you folks.

When I first got the slides back from the lab, I was disappointed in the image quality.
Yet, it told a story that I liked, so I didn't toss it out. Now, its story has been amplified substantially.

Post processing cleaned off storage spotting and staining--the tropics are merciless on film images.
I left the 'historically significant' electricity power lines. The railroad line was one of the very few places that had electric lines in this part of the mountains.
Also retained the black skewed outline of the original slide frame.
Image processing was only a very slight increase in contrast and very minimal haze reduction.

Done probably in January 1986, the image is no longer possible to repeat.
The image was shot from inside a train window, traveling from Jakarta to Bandung, while passing a mountain 'agricultural reclamation' project.
(Changing 'marginally productive' tropical forest into critically important food production--rice terraces--for a hugely expanding population.)

Very narrow dynamic range, with no pure whites, poor resolution, and CA all through the image, yet it now has meaning far greater than it did when I first saw that Fujichrome slide.
An era and an image never to be repeated...
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 421
12-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are those some of the rice terraces that you noted? I originally interpreted it to be a walkway. Regardless of their quality, these images bring back memories and details of your life. Happy that you recorded this in film. As you said, the image can never be repeated. Thanks for posting and for providing a backstory of the shot.
12-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, it has certainly a charm to it. Slide film is not easy, indeed, very limited dynamic range, color reproduction difficult as well.

Last edited by Reciprocity; 12-08-2021 at 08:06 PM. Reason: a question that was already answered
12-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Are those some of the rice terraces that you noted? I originally interpreted it to be a walkway. Regardless of their quality, these images bring back memories and details of your life. Happy that you recorded this in film. As you said, the image can never be repeated. Thanks for posting and for providing a backstory of the shot.
These are those rice terraces. This is the first row of them. As the forest is cut down on either side, these terraces will widen further and further until the whole mountain is terraced.
Angky.

---------- Post added 12-08-21 at 10:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
Well, it has certainly a charm to it. Slide film is not easy, indeed, very limited dynamic range, color reproduction difficult as well.
Yes, that charm you mention is there.
Something about that scene that makes one think of older days.
I think some of it has to do with the train window I was shooting through, and some of it to do with the slide film.
And, of course the backlighting that is difficult for that older lens and for the Fujichrome.
Thanks for the note!
Angky.

12-09-2021, 05:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the imperfections you mention are resulting mainly from the way the image was taken (through a window, from a moving train) and less so from the film.
I also think those flaws are part of the charm of the image, well done
12-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I think the imperfections you mention are resulting mainly from the way the image was taken (through a window, from a moving train) and less so from the film.
I also think those flaws are part of the charm of the image, well done
I think you are correct in that--I just carelessly lumped all of it together.
Fujichrome was a pretty fine medium.
And I posted the image because it did seem to have a bit of charm about it--not merely from my own nostalgia.
Thanks for your observations.
Angky.
12-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like this shot quite a bit. The lighting is good with the brighter light up at the top of the terraces which is perfect for drawing my eye right up the terraced fields. Also it doesn't just take a straight path going up, it curves around a little through the lush forest. It is a pretty cool place. Good work Angky!

12-09-2021, 05:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
I like this shot quite a bit. The lighting is good with the brighter light up at the top of the terraces which is perfect for drawing my eye right up the terraced fields. Also it doesn't just take a straight path going up, it curves around a little through the lush forest. It is a pretty cool place. Good work Angky!
Thank you, sir!
I liked that light also-- coming across the tops of the trees, as it did, outlining their interesting convoluted or curvy tops.
A very different forest from that in which I grew up--Doug fir and cedar, in the Pacific Northwest.
I wish I knew why they built those terraces as narrow as they did, thus forced to follow that narrow curve in the hillside. But it certainly proved eye-catching!
Made me scramble pretty fast to get that manual camera set up in time!
I do appreciate the comments!
Angky.
12-09-2021, 05:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot!
12-09-2021, 06:01 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Nice shot!
Thank you!
Good to know that you like it!
Angky.
12-09-2021, 09:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
These are those rice terraces. This is the first row of them. As the forest is cut down on either side, these terraces will widen further and further until the whole mountain is terraced.
Angky.

---------- Post added 12-08-21 at 10:22 PM ----------

Yes, that charm you mention is there.
Something about that scene that makes one think of older days.
I think some of it has to do with the train window I was shooting through, and some of it to do with the slide film.
And, of course the backlighting that is difficult for that older lens and for the Fujichrome.
Thanks for the note!
Angky.
It has also to do with the light, there seem to be a typical light in the tropics (if tropics is the right designation here).
Anyway, which iso was this btw?

Last edited by Reciprocity; 12-09-2021 at 09:50 PM. Reason: wrong word
12-09-2021, 10:12 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It has also to do with the light, there seem to be a typical light in the tropics (if tropics is the right designation here).
Anyway, which iso was this btw?
Yes, the term tropics is very much the correct designation--only a degree or two from the equator, if I recall.
I think this was Fujichrome--what I usually shot--and I can't recall the ASA, but I almost never shot any slide film faster than 100 ASA.
Angky.
12-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Yes, the term tropics is very much the correct designation--only a degree or two from the equator, if I recall.
I think this was Fujichrome--what I usually shot--and I can't recall the ASA, but I almost never shot any slide film faster than 100 ASA.
Angky.
Well, it is well done.
12-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, it is well done.
Thank you!
Angky.
12-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #15