Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Blue Jay in Flight
Posted By: Lmcfarrin, 12-08-2021, 10:59 PM

I use a manual focus only, multi-cameras on tripods, activated simultaneously and remotely to capture unique flight perspectives of song birds. I currently use the following cameras:

Olympus E-M1X
Olympus E-M1 II
Two Panasonic GH5's
Periodically, Pentax K-5
--------------------
The additional megapixels (24 vs. 20) and better dynamic range would improve my images in lower light conditions (shade/cloud cover). I once owned a K-30 and a K-3 II, but when I switched to M43 for silent shooting, fps, crop factor (reach) I kept all of my Pentax lenses, and adapt/use them regularly.
--------------------
My multi-camera setup is designed for the cameras to work as a team. What one camera misses the others will hopefully capture. Although I'd prefer a KP or K-1 II🙂 the K-70 would allow me to use proprietary Pentax and K mount lenses. At times when I'm shoot the lighting conditions can change frequently. Having proprietary lenses will assist the camera to work more efficiently (auto iso, auto f stop). The K-70 would join "the pack" and improve my flight capture "hunting" abilities.
--------------------
Theres nothing I can think of that the K-70 can do that my current kit cant.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DC-GH5  Photo 

Views: 1,139
12-15-2021, 04:30 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice, especially with the jay eyeing you. Very interesting setup, thanks for describing it, it would be nice if you could do a video of the process.

12-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Very nice, especially with the jay eyeing you. Very interesting setup, thanks for describing it, it would be nice if you could do a video of the process.
There is a photographer on YouTube named Roger Hance that has a couple videos on how it's done. However, I think I'm one of a very few if not the only one doing it with 5 cameras. The 5 cameras is how I'm able to get the very unique shots. With one camera, the likelihood a bird is going to fly toward the camera/you is very unlikely. With multiple cameras I can simultaneously compose over, under, and from the sides. I evolved from 1 camera to 5 because the birds would counter my setup and escape unphotographed. Also, 1 camera after awhile your gallery will have the same perspective. The birds' approaches and departres will look the same over time - except when the birds are interacting with each other/fighting.

I'm working on photo books, I have a couple of YouTube videos, but nothing special. However, I plan to post some videos at some point covering everything from feed, customized feeders, camera settings etc.

---------- Post added 12-15-21 at 06:43 PM ----------

..... in no way trolling, and with all due respect to all camera brands, the pre-buffered features in Olympus and Panasonic cameras / electronic shutter makes it "easier ". However, I do at times shoot regular continuous burst. I use regular continous burst for birds that fly straight in with little to no warning. I detect there approach without seeing them on sunny days, especially snow covered ground by their shadows that are cast on the ground. I also have figured out the distance to set my focus point from the feeder to compensate for my slower reaction time - the birds depart the feeder and if I'm on time my first shutter press should be where they are in space.

The mentioned regular continous burst, I use with all cameras in the setup, except my two gh5's when I'm shooting with my k-5 or other dslr's.

---------- Post added 12-15-21 at 07:31 PM ----------

I understand not everyone has the means to finance x5 everything camera setup. However, it can be done with 5 K-5s or 5 KS-2's, etc. A used Olympus E-M5 cost about $225 or less. A used plastic fantastic DA 50 1.8 costs about $80. I got the DA L 55-300 for $87. Manual focus makes it more affordable because you can get some good glass for cheap. I picked up a Takumar 200MM F4 for $20. That's another reason I like Pentax, they've built a strong foundation with their lenses (including Asahi Takumar). My situation was one of total belief and commitment to what I was doing. Therefore, I made the financial decision to fund what I enjoy to do.

Last edited by Lmcfarrin; 12-15-2021 at 06:02 PM.
12-27-2021, 09:11 PM   #18
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lmcfarrin Quote
I use a manual focus only, multi-cameras on tripods, activated simultaneously and remotely to capture unique flight perspectives of song birds. I currently use the following cameras:

Olympus E-M1X
Olympus E-M1 II
Two Panasonic GH5's
Periodically, Pentax K-5
--------------------
The additional megapixels (24 vs. 20) and better dynamic range would improve my images in lower light conditions (shade/cloud cover). I once owned a K-30 and a K-3 II, but when I switched to M43 for silent shooting, fps, crop factor (reach) I kept all of my Pentax lenses, and adapt/use them regularly.
--------------------
My multi-camera setup is designed for the cameras to work as a team. What one camera misses the others will hopefully capture. Although I'd prefer a KP or K-1 II🙂 the K-70 would allow me to use proprietary Pentax and K mount lenses. At times when I'm shoot the lighting conditions can change frequently. Having proprietary lenses will assist the camera to work more efficiently (auto iso, auto f stop). The K-70 would join "the pack" and improve my flight capture "hunting" abilities.
--------------------
Theres nothing I can think of that the K-70 can do that my current kit cant.
Super capture. Timed just right.
02-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks