Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
Queen butterfly
Lens: 55-300 PLM Camera: K70 Photo Location: Wellington, FL ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: CBM, 12-09-2021, 06:25 PM

At first I thought a Monarch, but it's a Queen, pretty closely related.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 

Views: 406
12-09-2021, 06:52 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is a very nice capture of the Queen butterfly. Like the Viceroy butterfly, the Queen is often confused with the Monarch. All of these are beautiful. The Monarchs' mass migration and diminishing numbers and habitat draw much attention. This year, I only got one poor photo of a Monarch and butterfly numbers in general were lower than normal. I hope all butterflies rebound, I love seeing them and taking photos.
12-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
This is a very nice capture of the Queen butterfly. Like the Viceroy butterfly, the Queen is often confused with the Monarch. All of these are beautiful. The Monarchs' mass migration and diminishing numbers and habitat draw much attention. This year, I only got one poor photo of a Monarch and butterfly numbers in general were lower than normal. I hope all butterflies rebound, I love seeing them and taking photos.
Thanks Mike - I don't think I've even seen a Monarch in this part of Florida in the past 3 years - they are a great subject, and sometimes surprisingly fast in flight!
12-09-2021, 08:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
He's very nicely isolated in this shot. I haven't seen any monarch's in Virginia for years now. It could be because I live deep in the river valley and used to live up top on a ridge. I even thought about adding milk thistle to try to attract more butterflies but I worry about it invading. Easy enough to get though, pretty much any cow pasture will have one somewhere.

12-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice shot!
12-10-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not being a butterfly expert, I think this is the first image of a Queen that I've seen. I don't recall any Monarchs around here for a long time, sadly. Beautiful image!
12-10-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
5ks
Pentaxian

Very pretty, and very well captured.

12-10-2021, 07:35 PM - 2 Likes   #8
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all - here's another from this morning - better light I think.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
12-10-2021, 08:54 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree, better light and brighter colors. A very nice follow-up.
12-11-2021, 09:44 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice images! I like the lighting of the second, but I really like the composition and beautiful bokeh of the first image. The butterflies have been plentiful here in south Texas into December and I was able to take some photos this week. It might come to a halt now, however, because we are starting to dip into the upper 20's at night.
12-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #11
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Agree, better light and brighter colors. A very nice follow-up.
QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Very nice images! I like the lighting of the second, but I really like the composition and beautiful bokeh of the first image. The butterflies have been plentiful here in south Texas into December and I was able to take some photos this week. It might come to a halt now, however, because we are starting to dip into the upper 20's at night.
Thanks guys - they are a bit like book ends, late afternoon and then early the next day - you feedback is most appreciated!
12-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news:

California Has 50 Times More Monarch Butterflies Than Last Year

QuoteQuote:
Tens of thousands of monarch butterflies are flocking to the California coast for the winter, filling tree branches with fluttering orange wings — a remarkable rebound from years of near-extinction.

Millions of monarchs used to winter in California each year, but their numbers haven't breached half a million since the 1990s. In 2018, the population crashed to new lows: there were fewer than 30,000 monarchs in the state, according to a count that the Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation has conducted each winter since 1997.

The butterflies hit a devastating record low last year, numbering fewer than 2,000 across California.

"We were pretty concerned last year that we were potentially facing a reality where there would no longer be monarch butterflies in the Western US," Sarina Jepsen, director of the endangered species program at the Xerces Society, told Insider.
12-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
Thanks all - here's another from this morning - better light I think.
Excellent! I can see why they get confused with monarchs in this shot.