Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
K70 Giveaway - Still Life
Lens: Pentax 18-55 Camera: Pentax k-50 Photo Location: My house ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 5s Aperture: F9 
Posted By: MilamBardo, 12-10-2021, 06:19 AM

2. Currently shooting with a Pentax k-50. Have also been using my Xiaomi X3 Pro mobile as, unfortunately, my Pentax k-50 is on it's very last legs.

3. I need a k-70, since, as described above, my K-50 appears to be on its last legs. To be honest, I'm amazed it lasted this long, as I initially inherited it after my Dad (the initial owner) dropped it on a hard floor. Prism problems, and a propensity for the photos to come out dark caused him to put it in for repair. They couldn't fix the prism issue, but the dark photos they did manage to fix, and so he was given a new k-70 on the insurance. I took on the broken camera, as the prism distance was perfect for my eyesight, and it was an upgrade on my Kx. Alas, now the camera has started shooting dark again, and it takes me four or five shots to get a bright one, and this also takes a fiddling of the dials.

My latest image has given me an appetite for still life photography, so I would like to explore this a bit further with the k-70. Also, I have a baby on the way, so taking some creative shots here, and catching some special moments, would also be great. Finally, my Dad has taken up bird photography, so it would be nice to be able to compare shots with this also.

What I can't currently do with the K-50 is take shots instantaneously, as their is a 75% chance of failure. A lot of my shots in the past have been "off the cuff", so I am really missing out with the camera in this state. Also, I can't afford repair or a new camera, as with the baby on the way, the strings on the purse have been tightened! (sob, sob, tiny violin, etc)

To finish, good luck everyone, and happy shooting!

Attached Images

Views: 564
12-10-2021, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice still life photo with shadow. Creative use of light. With a new baby on the way, a K-70 would be great. Good luck in the contest.
12-10-2021, 08:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Nice still life photo with shadow. Creative use of light. With a new baby on the way, a K-70 would be great. Good luck in the contest.
Thank you, @MikeNArk for your lovely comment. To be honest, I'm kind of terrified of the baby arriving - I can't even remember how to hold a new born baby! But I'm sure I will eventually lose my fear. 6 weeks to go - yikes.
12-10-2021, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Nice pic. Unfortunately the solenoid issue is a thing for the K-50... good luck with the giveaway and best wishes for your baby!

12-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Unfortunately the solenoid issue is a thing for the K-50...
Ah, right. I didn't realise that. So it's possible they replaced this on the first damage, and it's just gone again I suppose (although no drop this time!).

Also, thanks for the best wishes.
12-10-2021, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MilamBardo Quote
Ah, right. I didn't realise that. So it's possible they replaced this on the first damage, and it's just gone again I suppose (although no drop this time!).

Also, thanks for the best wishes.
They probably didnít replace it, just gave it some time. Thereís a dedicated thread in the forum about how to replace it with a suitable white solenoid. If you feel comfortable enough to get your hands in it... it will certainly bring new life in your camera. You can find a replacement on the bay.
12-10-2021, 08:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

2. Currently shooting with a Pentax k-50. Have also been using my Xiaomi X3 Pro mobile as, unfortunately, my Pentax k-50 is on it's very last legs.

3. I need a k-70, since, as described above, my K-50 appears to be on its last legs. To be honest, I'm amazed it lasted this long, as I initially inherited it after my Dad (the initial owner) dropped it on a hard floor. Prism problems, and a propensity for the photos to come out dark caused him to put it in for repair. They couldn't fix the prism issue, but the dark photos they did manage to fix, and so he was given a new k-70 on the insurance. I took on the broken camera, as the prism distance was perfect for my eyesight, and it was an upgrade on my Kx. Alas, now the camera has started shooting dark again, and it takes me four or five shots to get a bright one, and this also takes a fiddling of the dials.

My latest image has given me an appetite for still life photography, so I would like to explore this a bit further with the k-70. Also, I have a baby on the way, so taking some creative shots here, and catching some special moments, would also be great. Finally, my Dad has taken up bird photography, so it would be nice to be able to compare shots with this also.

What I can't currently do with the K-50 is take shots instantaneously, as their is a 75% chance of failure. A lot of my shots in the past have been "off the cuff", so I am really missing out with the camera in this state. Also, I can't afford repair or a new camera, as with the baby on the way, the strings on the purse have been tightened! (sob, sob, tiny violin, etc)

To finish, good luck everyone, and happy shooting!
I like the composition, with the emphasis on the shadow.

12-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
They probably didnít replace it, just gave it some time. Thereís a dedicated thread in the forum about how to replace it with a suitable white solenoid. If you feel comfortable enough to get your hands in it... it will certainly bring new life in your camera. You can find a replacement on the bay.
Oh, thanks. Yes, I might give this a go!

---------- Post added 12-11-21 at 02:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
I like the composition, with the emphasis on the shadow.
Thank you. It was the shadow on the wall that first alerted me to the fact that there might be a picture here.
12-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Oh, thanks. Yes, I might give this a go!

---------- Post added 12-11-21 at 02:04 PM ----------

Thank you. It was the shadow on the wall that first alerted me to the fact that there might be a picture here.
You're welcome.
12-12-2021, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Very nice still life with a creative use of the shadow, nicely done.

Read into the solenoid issue, even if you don't repair it, I think you should be able to use lenses with an aperture ring without weird exposure issues (when using M mode - green button metering - select aperture via the aperture ring not the camera)
12-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Very nice still life with a creative use of the shadow, nicely done.

Read into the solenoid issue, even if you don't repair it, I think you should be able to use lenses with an aperture ring without weird exposure issues (when using M mode - green button metering - select aperture via the aperture ring not the camera)
Thank you! You are completely right about manual aperture lenses! (Just tried on my Vivitar 28mm Close Focus). That's a massive help to me, as normally, I manually focus anyway. I just like the kit lens because of it's range. Maybe I can just pick up a manual zoom lens, and then I'll have same functionality.

Also, thank you for commenting on my photo. It's taken up a lot of my time, so its nice to have positive feedback!
12-30-2021, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #12
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It isn't just the shadow that makes this stand out, but the variation in the background with a more bluish tint directly behind the flower. Well done indeed.
12-30-2021, 04:53 PM - 1 Like   #13

Great shot! It reminds me of both film noir imagery and Warner Bros cartoons while being an entirely distinct art form.

A new K-70 for baby photos would go a long way to easing that new baby anxiety, I bet. The fact that you care enough to be worried about it makes me think you'll be a very good parent.