Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Foxy Lady
Lens: D FA 28-105 Camera: K-1 Photo Location: Angleton, TX 
Posted By: Sailor, 12-11-2021, 08:59 AM

In 1989 I came close to buying a Mustang LX 5.0 fastback. The car was based on the already aging Fox platform powered by a fuel-injected version of the venerable, cast-iron 302 V8 Windsor motor (essentially a slightly modified 289) that first appeared in 1968. Despite the car's dated tech, I found it surprisingly fun to drive, but the 12 or 13 grand price tag stayed my hand, and I decided to buy a cheaper, very basic Probe instead. I've regretted that decision ever since, a regret similar to the ones I have for NOT buying a Honda S-2000, a used Trans Am T/A, an early Bullit Mustang . . . . . . . .

Here are shots of a couple well-preserved LX 5.0s that I came across in a car show a few months ago; for a large view, click on the pics.

Jer

Views: 385
12-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great shots of classic Mustangs. It took a little while for me to warm up to the Fox bodied Mustangs, but after awhile, I began to appreciate the clean lines of the car. Thanks for sharing.
12-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots although I think I prefer the more modern shape of the Mustang now
12-11-2021, 04:54 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
I prefer the modern bodies also. The fox body brought back an emphasis on performance after the "Mustang II".

12-11-2021, 06:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Never had I seen the first one, what a beautiful car! nice shots.
12-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Nice pix, Jer.

A buddy of mine, did bite the 'Bullit' ...as it were, and purchased new, an 1989 Mustang GT fastback...5 speed manual, 5 liter V8. Think it is a 25 th Anniversary edition, if I've remembered correctly.

A very nice car, handles reasonably well and I love the V8 growl exhaust note, as he runs it through the gears, and when he boots it a bit, coming out of a tight corner in second gear.

He still has it. Less than 15,000 original miles and in great shape...cosmetics, mechanical, suspension, etc.
12-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great shots of classic Mustangs. It took a little while for me to warm up to the Fox bodied Mustangs, but after awhile, I began to appreciate the clean lines of the car. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, Mike. The lines of the late '80s Mustangs were indeed clean, and very much in tune with styling of the time. However, they were a bit sterile compared with the Mustangs I owned in the late '60s. Still, I sure wish I'd have bought one.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
As do I, EM. Ford used variations of the Fox platform to produce Mustangs from the late '70s all the way to around 2004 or 2005, when Ford began producing Mustangs with design language much closer to Mustangs of the late '60s, and that remains the case today. Had I gone to sleep in1970 and woke up in 1989, I wouldn't have known the Fox bodied Mustang as such without a badge. However, had slept all the way to the present day, I would have recognized your car as a Mustang in an instant.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by shyrsio Quote
Never had I seen the first one, what a beautiful car! nice shots.
Thanks! I'm glad you like 'em.

Jer

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Nice pix, Jer.

A buddy of mine, did bite the 'Bullit' ...as it were, and purchased new, an 1989 Mustang GT fastback...5 speed manual, 5 liter V8. Think it is a 25 th Anniversary edition, if I've remembered correctly.

A very nice car, handles reasonably well and I love the V8 growl exhaust note, as he runs it through the gears, and when he boots it a bit, coming out of a tight corner in second gear.

He still has it. Less than 15,000 original miles and in great shape...cosmetics, mechanical, suspension, etc.
Wow, Les - your friend clearly isn't the love 'em and leave 'em type like I am! The LX 5.0 and the GT were mechanically identical, but the GT was more heavily decorated with "ground effects", a fancier interior and other stuff, which I recall added something like 150 to 200 pounds to the car over the LX 5.0.

Jer

12-12-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote

Wow, Les - your friend clearly isn't the love 'em and leave 'em type like I am! The LX 5.0 and the GT were mechanically identical, but the GT was more heavily decorated with "ground effects", a fancier interior and other stuff, which I recall added something like 150 to 200 pounds to the car over the LX 5.0.

Jer
I actually preferred the notchback too. Thought it looked neat. Up here the RCMP (Mounties) used some LC 5 ;liters and Camaros in western Canada as 'take down' cars in the '80's and early '90's as police package 4 door, full size sedans weren't all that fast back then, as you probably recall.

But when the '94-'96 Chevy Caprice came out, with the detuned Corvette Lt-1 (260 hp)...it was very quick in acceleration and had a top speed in the 140 mph , plus range.

With this car, being a 4 door, plenty of room for miscreants in the back seat and some weight and a push bar attached to the front....the Caprice could also push stalled vehicles to the side of the road.

Those factors killed off the demand for , pony car pursuits, either Mustang or Camaro...but only for a short time ('94-96)...as GM killed off the Caprice after '96 production.

After that, the Ford CV, front wheel drive Impala, eventually Dodge Charger Hemi V8...all good sized 4 doors, had better power than the older '80's, early '90's police package 4 door police packages.