Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
The road to the roof of Australia
Posted By: RobG, 12-13-2021, 04:31 AM

To the roof of Australia
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

This old road is closed except to hikers. It follows the western border between the Australian Capital Territory and New South Wales. The highest peaks of the Great Dividing Range are in the distance, with a bit of snow visible using a longer lens (or sharp eyesight).

---------- Post added 13-12-21 at 10:38 PM ----------

The mountains on the horizon are about 100km from Mount Ginini where I was standing. The sunlit ridge in the middle is where the Snowy Mountains Highway runs from Cooma to Tumut.

Snow on the main range
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 499
12-14-2021, 04:14 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SelrahCharleS Quote
Nice shots!
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by DamienW Quote
Every time I look out to those mountains I want to be up there. I rarely seem to though. Hopefully in the next few weeks!
Tidbinbilla is a nice spot - great views of the mountains without actually driving up into the mountains. The other place which is nice at the moment is Corin dam; the road is sealed all the way. If you don't mind dirt and potholes, the road is open to Mt Ginini.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
I love mountains , why did I settle down in Western Australia? Great photo.
Thanks! One day I'll actually get to visit WA! I really want to see the forests of the south-west.

I thought the Stirling Ranges were nice when I last visited. Even been snow fall there every blue moon hasn't there?
When that rare cold system comes up from Antarctica.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
they are just biggish hills , I mean the real mountains.
My teachers in school tried to tell me that there's no real mountains in Australia, and the Snowy Mountains are really just a big granite dome, but there's peaks like Mount Warning which do fit the definition - at least 300m above the surrounding land with a distinct peak and steep sides. Mount Kosciuszko is just a higher bump on the top of the up-thrust dome. Don't get me wrong though; I love the mountains in any season!

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Frankly, I had never seen snow, either, until I left my native south Florida and went to university in our Great White North . I lived up there long enough to experience everything a mortal person needs to know about Real Winter. But, I never did any skiing. Some sledding and snowmobiling, no skis. I can appreciate the beauty of it, have even admired it, but loathed the work of it -- shoveling, driving, all of that. I was very much relieved to get back to green-all-year Miami!
Fair enough! The only city in Australia where there's a chance of snow on the ground is Canberra, and I haven't seen it in over 12 years here. There's no highly populated areas that deal with a lot of snow other than the ski resorts.

Hehe, yeah, fair enough! I was surprised to find that they actually hit 1000m, but they do still seem kind of ‘hilly’.
Probably could be said for a lot of Australia mind you, but the air does feel a little different on Mt Ginini where Rob took that photo.
A pleasant 17C up there today.

12-16-2021, 01:57 PM - 1 Like   #17

'My teachers in school tried to tell me that there's no real mountains in Australia, and the Snowy Mountains are really just a big granite dome, but there's peaks like Mount Warning which do fit the definition - at least 300m above the surrounding land with a distinct peak and steep sides. Mount Kosciuszko is just a higher bump on the top of the up-thrust dome. Don't get me wrong though; I love the mountains in any season! '

They didn't know their Australian geography very well then, Mt Bartle Frere in Far North Queensland rises from the coastal plain to 1611m (5287') and actually looks like a mountain. When I moved south I was disappointed by the bump aka Mt Kosciuszko, but do love the Snowy Mountains as a summer destination. Here's Charlottes Pass in October this year.

Last edited by wazza999; 12-16-2021 at 02:08 PM.
12-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wazza999 Quote
Mt Bartle Frere in Far North Queensland rises from the coastal plain to 1611m (5287') and actually looks like a mountain.
Yes...it does. Sorry that I never managed to go up the top (though I knew people who did, and it sounded like quite a long day). Have spent a bit of time looking at that mountain from both sides.
12-18-2021, 05:43 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wazza999 Quote
They didn't know their Australian geography very well then, Mt Bartle Frere in Far North Queensland rises from the coastal plain to 1611m (5287') and actually looks like a mountain. When I moved south I was disappointed by the bump aka Mt Kosciuszko, but do love the Snowy Mountains as a summer destination. Here's Charlottes Pass in October this year.
Nice shot! I'd like to go back to the snowies this summer, but I suspect that finding accommodation is going to be tough with everyone wanting to holiday after the lockdowns. I should have explained that at the time my teacher told me that, I was living in northern NSW not far from Mount Warning, so it wasn't like they had to go far to see something which matched the definition of a "real" mountain. Even it is the remnant of the core of a huge shield volcano. You're right, there's some impressive peaks in FNQ, of which Bartle Frere is the tallest. Another peak which comes to mind is Mount Wellington in Tasmania which goes from sea level up to 1270m quite quickly.

Yes...it does. Sorry that I never managed to go up the top (though I knew people who did, and it sounded like quite a long day). Have spent a bit of time looking at that mountain from both sides.
I wish I could have climbed it too. Not much chance of that now, unfortunately.