Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Red-necked Wallabies
Lens: DFA 150-450 Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Canberra, Australia ISO: 6400 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: RobG, 12-13-2021, 04:42 AM

This well-worn Wallaby didn't look happy to see me, but was enjoying the long grass at Bull's Head in the ranges on the western side of the ACT.

Red-necked Wallabies
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr
Views: 338
12-13-2021, 06:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

That wallaby looks ready to fight. And judging by the ears it wouldn't be the first time.

Nice capture.
12-13-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent capture Rob. The Wallaby looks like an old prize fighter.
12-13-2021, 08:44 AM   #4
5ks
Pentaxian

Nothing like these in my country. Pity for me, lucky for you, Rob - a very nice picture!

12-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well-worn, indeed! So they are grazers, yes? Don't really know anything about wallabies, except they are marsupials related to kangaroos.
12-13-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are they as ready to fight humans as kangaroos? It sure looks like it would like to clear something up with you
12-13-2021, 04:13 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tncasual Quote
That wallaby looks ready to fight. And judging by the ears it wouldn't be the first time. Nice capture.
Thanks! Yes, he didn't look like he was about to back off.

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
Excellent capture Rob. The Wallaby looks like an old prize fighter.
Thank you! Yes, he looks like he has gone quite a lot of rounds in the past.

QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
Nothing like these in my country. Pity for me, lucky for you, Rob - a very nice picture!
Thank you! Even most Australians don't see Wallabies very often (unless it's the Rugby team).

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Well-worn, indeed! So they are grazers, yes? Don't really know anything about wallabies, except they are marsupials related to kangaroos.
Yes, most of the macropods (big foot) feed on grasses (kangaroos, wallabies, pademelons, hare-wallabies and quokkas to name a few). They are the Deer of Australia. Swamp Wallabies seem to eat other plants, but as far as I know, Red-necked Wallabies only feed on grass. Some of the rainforest species probably feed on fallen fruit as well, since grass is limited to breaks in the canopy or the rainforest edges.

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Are they as ready to fight humans as kangaroos? It sure looks like it would like to clear something up with you
They seem much more shy than Grey Kangaroos which are the biggest ones where I live, but I'm sure that the males fight each other for dominance and mating rights. He wasn't happy about me disturbing his lunch.

12-13-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The fur patterns are quite attractive.
The eyes are quite otherwise!
Angky.
12-13-2021, 05:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It does not look like he wanted any company. You got a great shot of the grass hanging out. Do Wallabies have a long life span?

Last edited by MikeNArk; 12-14-2021 at 07:36 AM.
12-14-2021, 01:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Nice shoot
12-14-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
The fur patterns are quite attractive. The eyes are quite otherwise!
True.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
It does not look like he wanted any company. You got a great shot of the grass hanging out. Do Wallabies have a long life span?
Thanks! I was actually very surprised that nobody was at the picnic area given that it was a Sunday and the weather was nice. Normally the Wallabies only come out in the evening after all the people have left. I had to check about Wallaby lifespans - looks like about 15 years. The lifespan of an Eastern Grey Kangaroo is actually less - around 10 years. That surprises me because I'd expect large marsupials to live longer than birds, yet I know of one Satin Bowerbird that lived at least 20 years, and I've heard that Cockatoos can live much longer in captivity. On the other hand, male Antechinus (a mouse-sized carnivorous member of the same family as the Tasmanian devil) only live for a year because of their bizarre breeding behaviour, while the females live about three years.

QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
Nice shoot
Thank you!