Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Oaks on Slopes
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 200mm f2.8* Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Sacramento Valley Coastal Range ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F9.5 
Posted By: angkymac, 12-13-2021, 03:15 PM

Sacramento Valley western range land hills in remaining light just after sun had dropped behind them.
Still lighted by light remaining in the sky.
Nothing spectacular here; but it brings a sort of nostalgic mystique to folks who have run stock (cattle) in these hills for a lot of years.
A person can wander along these slopes for miles and miles and never see one hillside that looks like any other.
For such folks, it's just "Home!"
Angky

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 244
12-13-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
eaglem's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 39,409
Those certainly are rolling hills and well captured as well
12-13-2021, 04:53 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,085
Interesting. I don't know of an area with rolling hills like that. Lots of ups and downs trying to cross those hills. Nice shot. Thanks for posting.
12-13-2021, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Seagrove, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 916
Beautiful shot. Has the look of peach fuzz. It looks like a great place for a golf course.

12-13-2021, 06:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: People's Republic of America
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,158
Very beautiful, I love these kinds of landscape shots.
12-13-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,885
A very nice image showing the natural beauty of the coast range on the west side of the valley. The Texas Hill Country has a lot of similarities although the grasses are much taller here and they are now golden brown. There is a variety of oak species, but here, they have to compete with Mountain Cedar which are invasive to the native oaks and other native trees.
12-13-2021, 09:47 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,980
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Interesting. I don't know of an area with rolling hills like that. Lots of ups and downs trying to cross those hills. Nice shot. Thanks for posting.
These kind of hills just go on for hundreds of miles along the West Coast. Most people express extreme boredom when they drive the Interstate 5 that follows them for a long way. Not boring at all to me; every hill is different!
Thanks for the note.
Angky.

---------- Post added 12-13-21 at 10:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
Beautiful shot. Has the look of peach fuzz. It looks like a great place for a golf course.
That peach fuzz look comes from pretty steady grazing. Also from the kind of grasses that have only a very short growing season before the hot summer hits them.
Golf courses? Indeed, a lot of people have created golf courses around these hills.
Angky.

---------- Post added 12-13-21 at 10:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Very beautiful, I love these kinds of landscape shots.
To many, these shots are just blah and uninteresting.
I love them too.
Thanks for your observation.
Angky.

---------- Post added 12-13-21 at 10:54 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ToddK Quote
A very nice image showing the natural beauty of the coast range on the west side of the valley. The Texas Hill Country has a lot of similarities although the grasses are much taller here and they are now golden brown. There is a variety of oak species, but here, they have to compete with Mountain Cedar which are invasive to the native oaks and other native trees.
I think the east part of Texas has a lot more summer rain than happens in the West. So the grasses probably do grow longer.
The grass in this image is green because of our first recent rain started the swift sprouting of the annual grasses. They will be brown again by June.
Many years ago, I had some experience with that cedar of Texas. Very densely growing stuff, where i was at.
Thanks for your note.
Angky.

12-14-2021, 08:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 606
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Sacramento Valley western range land hills in remaining light just after sun had dropped behind them.
Still lighted by light remaining in the sky.
Nothing spectacular here; but it brings a sort of nostalgic mystique to folks who have run stock (cattle) in these hills for a lot of years.
A person can wander along these slopes for miles and miles and never see one hillside that looks like any other.
For such folks, it's just "Home!"
Angky
I like this.
12-14-2021, 10:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2019
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,980
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reciprocity Quote
I like this.
Thank you for that note.
I'm glad to know that it is pleasing.
Angky.
12-15-2021, 11:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 606
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Thank you for that note.
I'm glad to know that it is pleasing.
Angky.
It is. Well done.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, courses, folks, fuzz, golf, grasses, hills, light, look, lot, love, miles, peach, people, photo, pm, post, shot, shots, slopes, texas, thanks, west
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Avenue of the Oaks rhanz Post Your Photos! 3 10-15-2021 04:20 PM
Landscape Valley of Oaks & Olives - Smoky angkymac Post Your Photos! 4 08-28-2021 11:44 AM
Nature Live Oaks and Spanish Moss Sailor Post Your Photos! 6 08-30-2020 09:21 AM
beauty of the ski slopes benoitvservant Monthly Photo Contests 1 11-08-2017 12:30 AM
Macro Dewy Slopes eaglem Post Your Photos! 8 06-03-2013 01:37 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top