Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Marsh Rabbit
Posted By: ramseybuckeye, 12-17-2021, 04:25 PM

I was out kayaking the salt marsh and Intracoastal photographing birds and such. I was going along the edge of a small island where I had seen a lot of Herons earlier and was headed back to that spot. Suddenly this rabbit ran out of the grass and hopped into the water and swam out a few feet then turned and swam past me. I got a picture as he was beside me, turned and got several as he swam away. He was a fast little swimmer, he swam about 50 yards and went into some marsh grass. I have seen a couple marsh rabbits, but never in the water.

Views: 523
12-19-2021, 10:54 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I was out kayaking the salt marsh and Intracoastal photographing birds and such. I was going along the edge of a small island where I had seen a lot of Herons earlier and was headed back to that spot. Suddenly this rabbit ran out of the grass and hopped into the water and swam out a few feet then turned and swam past me. I got a picture as he was beside me, turned and got several as he swam away. He was a fast little swimmer, he swam about 50 yards and went into some marsh grass. I have seen a couple marsh rabbits, but never in the water.
Cool shot!

12-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

We don't have marsh rabbits in my area and I've never seen a rabbit swimming. Great image! Thanks for posting!
12-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thanks for all the comments. Seeing something like a marsh rabbit diving into the water and swimming away inspires me to do a little more research. The marsh rabbit is actually considered a semiaquatic mammal, and this one would be of the subspecies Carolina Marsh Rabbit, the other subspecies are the Florida Marsh Rabbit that occurs in the Florida peninsula, and the Lower Keys Marsh Rabbit in the Florida Keys, which is endangered. They are not to be confused with the swamp rabbit that lives in the lower Mississippi valley. Marsh Rabbits are not often seen as they are nocturnal. I have seen a couple others that were hiding in tall grass, and a couple that came out of the tall grass next to a park or business on the edge of marsh.

Attachment 559310

The Pentax Forum, your source for biology. Thanks for the additional information, very interesting.