Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Move Over Plymouth Approaching Rapidly . . . . . . .
Posted By: Sailor, 12-19-2021, 08:18 PM

. . . . . . . or is it: Miscellaneous Oddball Parts Assembled Recklessly?

In early October, I enjoyed photographing a bunch of vehicles at the first decent car show I've seen since before the pandemic. I've posted a number of photos from the show . . . . . to the point I became weary of doing so. However, I decided to post this pic of a '69 Plymouth Road Runner convertible, since I'm betting it's a pretty rare beast. Back in the day, I knew a couple of guys with 383 Road Runners, and I remember them as strong performers - at least in a straight line.

Jer

Views: 595
12-22-2021, 02:32 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I daresay, Jer, that we're of the same generation. But I've not had nearly that many cars, and all have been Fords, including the current 16-year-old Focus with 220,000 miles on it. Was in decent shape until the end of October, when a punk texting at 50mph lost control of his father's van and crunched the right rear quarter panel , sent me (also driving at 50mph) spinning into a thankfully wide grassy median. Ugly, but drivable.
Wow, I'm sure glad you came out of it OK!

You've had fewer cars because you have considerably more sense than I do!

Jer

12-22-2021, 07:50 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I had to do a count. Motorcycles, 2 CZ, 1 Jawa, 2 Yamaha, 1 Matchless.

Four wheelers....VW-3, all air cooled Beetles, Chevy-6, Ford-1, Volvo-1, Toyota-2, Pontiac-1, Oldsmobile-1, Buick-2, Mercury-1....
12-23-2021, 07:37 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Wow, I'm sure glad you came out of it OK!

You've had fewer cars because you have considerably more sense than I do!

Jer
Yes, thanks, no injuries to drivers or passenger (in the van), and fortunately it happened on a stretch of road with no sign obstacles in the median, either, or I might have a completely different story. After a couple of donuts in the grass I got the car under control and stopped. Highway Patrol trooper was not amused, punk in the van got charged with the accident (how not?).

<haha> I dunno about "considerably more sense", Jer...mostly it's because I'm cheap and hate car payments
12-23-2021, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I had to do a count. Motorcycles, 2 CZ, 1 Jawa, 2 Yamaha, 1 Matchless.

Four wheelers....VW-3, all air cooled Beetles, Chevy-6, Ford-1, Volvo-1, Toyota-2, Pontiac-1, Oldsmobile-1, Buick-2, Mercury-1....
Hey, Les - regarding the motorcycles (of which I know little), the CZ and Jawa are new to me. I thought Jawas were little critters that live on Tatoonine.

Jer

Yes, thanks, no injuries to drivers or passenger (in the van), and fortunately it happened on a stretch of road with no sign obstacles in the median, either, or I might have a completely different story. After a couple of donuts in the grass I got the car under control and stopped. Highway Patrol trooper was not amused, punk in the van got charged with the accident (how not?).

<haha> I dunno about "considerably more sense", Jer...mostly it's because I'm cheap and hate car payments
Julie, that must have been a scary few seconds (or minutes)!

I've never financed a car; even when I was a poor grad student, we'd scrape together the cash to make the trade (with a little help from my folks ). After I got out of grad school and settled into my career, every time we'd buy a new car, I'd begin (perhaps subliminally) budgeting for the next one.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 12-23-2021 at 11:32 AM.
12-23-2021, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Hey, Les - regarding the motorcycles (of which I know little), the CZ and Jawa are new to me. I thought Jawas were little critters that live on Tatoonine.

Jer

Both CZ and JAWA were Czechoslovakian made motorcycles. CZ was / is a large European armaments company that although it no longer makes motorcycles, does make guns. In fact, I think CZ recently bought the American company, Colt Arms.

When I had my CZ bikes, in the '60's, CZ made world championship racing motorcycles, along with street bikes. In the 1960's , the CZ racing bikes were world championship winning 250cc and open class...500cc.... in motocross.

JAWA , not the Star Wars characters **........the motorcycle company was founded in the 1920's. It was at one time, one of the largest European motorcycle companies. They made street bikes, but also world championship European flat track and Ice Racing machines. Very powerful racing bikes...500cc single cylinder, running on alcohol, no brakes, about 160 pounds in weight....

I saw a JAWA Ice Racer in action at a local race held on a frozen lake in my province, about 40 years ago. The racer was from Quebec, Canada and needed to get points towards the Canadian Ice Racing championship. He was racing against motocross racing bikes...mostly Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Maico, etc.

It was like racing a Ferrari (JAWA) amongst VW air cooled Beetles (other bikes).. Fascinating to see though. Ice racing motorcycles have huge spikes on the tires and it is impressive to see them slide through the corner...spraying ice in rooster tails.

My JAWA and CZ bikes, were all street bikes, not racers.

JAWA still makes motorcycles...in India. A very large Indian company , Mahindra has bought out JAWA and the English company, BSA and now makes both these lines. I'm pleased to see that Mahindra has taken over the manufacturing of these two, famous , iconic motorcycle names.

** Why the Star Trek movie producers/writers/ etc. would call some of their movie characters after an old Czech made motorcycle company is beyond me ?

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.
12-23-2021, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Julie, that must have been a scary few seconds (or minutes)!

I've never financed a car; even when I was a poor grad student, we'd scrape together the cash to make the trade (with a little help from my folks ). After I got out of grad school and settled into my career, every time we'd buy a new car, I'd begin (perhaps subliminally) budgeting for the next one.

Jer
It was indeed a scary bit, I'll not lie about that. Fortunately it was early in the morning, not a lot of traffic, and the donuts were almost totally within the grassy median, it's very wide there, maybe 40 feet. Could have been a lot worse!
You must have been in better straits in grad school than I was...had to finance the first car, but the U credit union gave me decent terms. Probably sympathetic to poor grad teaching assistants' stipends. My folks were in no position to chip in, alas. But it did good things to my nascent credit rating
12-23-2021, 06:45 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was indeed a scary bit, I'll not lie about that. Fortunately it was early in the morning, not a lot of traffic, and the donuts were almost totally within the grassy median, it's very wide there, maybe 40 feet. Could have been a lot worse!
You must have been in better straits in grad school than I was...had to finance the first car, but the U credit union gave me decent terms. Probably sympathetic to poor grad teaching assistants' stipends. My folks were in no position to chip in, alas. But it did good things to my nascent credit rating
I was a grad student in organic chemistry from '68 to '72, and I recall that my monthly stipend was $275; for reasons I've forgotten, I didn't have to pay income tax on it. My wife worked as a bookkeeper at the University book store; she made a bit more than I did (of course, her salary was taxed ). We had to watch our money diligently and had little to spare, but we enjoyed life through those four years immensely.

What did you study in grad school?

Jer

12-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was a grad student in organic chemistry from '68 to '72, and I recall that my monthly stipend was $275; for reasons I've forgotten, I didn't have to pay income tax on it. My wife worked as a bookkeeper at the University book store; she made a bit more than I did (of course, her salary was taxed ). We had to watch our money diligently and had little to spare, but we enjoyed life through those four years immensely.

What did you study in grad school?

Jer
I honestly don't remember the stipend, the more valuable benefit was qualifying for in-state tuition, that was worth more than the actual monthly check. I was in grad school 70-74 in anthropology. Indeed, some of the best years of my life, too!