Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Comet Leonard
Lens: HDDA* 16-50 PLM Camera: K3iii Photo Location: Michelago, NSW ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F3.5 
Posted By: RobG, 12-20-2021, 06:40 AM

Finally a clear night, but the moon ruined better images.

Comet Leonard
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

And a stack with the DA*300

Comet Leonard
Views: 388
12-20-2021, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks faint and small. I tried to locate it last night without success. The first clear night we have had since it became visible in the northern hemisphere in the evening. I may not get a photo of this one. My telescope is buried behind a bunch of items in our storage building. Thanks for posting.
12-20-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find such shots magical. I just wanna stare at the celestial bodies..... nice photos. The second one is more appealing imho.
12-20-2021, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks! Viewing conditions here have been mostly poor, alas -- it was so cloudy -- high, thin clouds -- that even Venus was nearly obscured so there was little chance of finding Leonard. City light pollution doesn't help, either... at least someone got a good view and recorded it!

12-20-2021, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went hunting a couple weeks ago, and no joy - too much light pollution. Then too much cloud. I hope to try again since we may get another clear night.
12-20-2021, 01:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great images. Looks like I'll be out of luck, no clear skies in the forecast for quite a while.
12-20-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Looks faint and small. I tried to locate it last night without success. The first clear night we have had since it became visible in the northern hemisphere in the evening. I may not get a photo of this one. My telescope is buried behind a bunch of items in our storage building. Thanks for posting.
Thanks! I expected it to be closer to Venus. It's quite easy to see if the sky is dark enough, but last night there wasn't much gap between the sky being dark enough and the moon rising.

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
I find such shots magical. I just wanna stare at the celestial bodies..... nice photos. The second one is more appealing imho.
Thanks! Each image is the result of a stack. I started out with the DA*16-50 because I wasn't sure how large the tail might be, and at the moment it's small, or at least the sky is too bright to see most of it. So using the 300mm lens made the most of it. I'll try again tonight with the DFA 150-450.

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Thanks! Viewing conditions here have been mostly poor, alas -- it was so cloudy -- high, thin clouds -- that even Venus was nearly obscured so there was little chance of finding Leonard. City light pollution doesn't help, either... at least someone got a good view and recorded it!
Sorry to hear that! I'm hoping that tonight will be clear, and I can get a better shot. The moonrise will be later, which will help. We've had a lot of rain lately, so there hasn't been much opportunity for observing the stars.

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
I went hunting a couple weeks ago, and no joy - too much light pollution. Then too much cloud. I hope to try again since we may get another clear night.
I hope you have better luck!

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Great images. Looks like I'll be out of luck, no clear skies in the forecast for quite a while.
Bummer. I hope you get a break in the cloud!

12-22-2021, 06:01 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I went back last night to try again. I managed to get more detail in the tail.

Comet Leonard

I also photographed the region of Eta Carinae

Eta Carinae

And a wide shot of the sky looking south.

The Milky Way
12-22-2021, 06:41 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fabulous, Rob! Thanks!
12-24-2021, 03:12 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Fabulous, Rob! Thanks!
Thank you! I'm glad I went back. I want to work out better settings for Astrotracer - although now I'm itching to get Astrotracer mode 3, after seeing the results that folks in Japan are getting. I'll try to be patient until February.
12-24-2021, 07:53 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing the additional images of the comet and the Milky Way. The extra magnification paid off. I may yet dig out my telescope to try for a few shots. All of the added photos are super. Happy holidays and a Happy New Years to you and your family.
12-26-2021, 03:35 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Thanks for sharing the additional images of the comet and the Milky Way. The extra magnification paid off. I may yet dig out my telescope to try for a few shots. All of the added photos are super. Happy holidays and a Happy New Years to you and your family.
Thank you! You too! I hope you get to spend some time with your family. Unfortunately the pandemic has ruined most of my plans.