Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
One of My Old Photos
Lens: 50mm 1.4 Camera: Nikon F Photo Location: North Idaho 
Posted By: JimS_256, 12-20-2021, 12:34 PM

This is a scan of a slide I took backcountry skiing in February of 1969, I was 19 years old at the time. Most of my images from back then aren't very good but I like this one.
Views: 355
12-20-2021, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
5ks
Pentaxian

That's a nice looking hill.
12-20-2021, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it too, it stands the test of time and must be a fine memory for you, which has to be the point of it all surely?
12-20-2021, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 5ks Quote
That's a nice looking hill.
Thanks for commenting.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I like it too, it stands the test of time and must be a fine memory for you, which has to be the point of it all surely?
It brings back memories. I sometimes wonder how I survived those days. My partner on this trip was 16 years old, we drove a hundred miles from Spokane to Mullan, Idaho, parked there, and hitch hiked to Lookout Pass. The tour took us up one valley, along the ridge where I took the picture, and down another valley back to Mullan. From memory it was about 19 miles and we finished in the dark. No cell phones, avalanche beacons, or any of the safety stuff people have these days. Thanks for commenting!

12-20-2021, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great shot. I wonder what it looks like now.
12-20-2021, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That scan really worked well. Beautiful shot which deserves to be seen. Thanks for posting.
12-20-2021, 10:56 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimS_256 Quote
Thanks for commenting.

It brings back memories. I sometimes wonder how I survived those days. My partner on this trip was 16 years old, we drove a hundred miles from Spokane to Mullan, Idaho, parked there, and hitch hiked to Lookout Pass. The tour took us up one valley, along the ridge where I took the picture, and down another valley back to Mullan. From memory it was about 19 miles and we finished in the dark. No cell phones, avalanche beacons, or any of the safety stuff people have these days. Thanks for commenting!
I am very fond of your photo, and back story. Bet you won't do that again. What a nice memory. You were stretching limits that day.

12-21-2021, 01:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent , very enjoyable photo,
I love snow ,
and we are having +42 C for Christmas ,

The hottest Christmas ever in Perth
12-21-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
Great shot. I wonder what it looks like now.
Thanks! I'm sure there is less snow right now, it's early in the season but other than that it hasn't changed much.

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
That scan really worked well. Beautiful shot which deserves to be seen. Thanks for posting.
The scan did come out well, not all of mine have. I use an old HP photo/slide/and negative scanner, it's very slow. Thanks for commenting!

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
I am very fond of your photo, and back story. Bet you won't do that again. What a nice memory. You were stretching limits that day.
Thanks! I did repeat the tour a few years later with a larger group. Being able to car shuttle instead of hitchhike allowed for a much earlier start and having more people breaking trail (and slightly better equipment) made for a faster more pleasant trip.

More recently, in 2006, I skied to the top of the peak in the image using a shorter route from the other side. Modern "randonee" equipment vs. wood XC skis and climbing wax makes a lot of difference.

I still ski occasionally at a nearby ski area but I stick to the groomed intermediate runs. My backcountry days are sadly over.

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
Excellent , very enjoyable photo,
I love snow ,
and we are having +42 C for Christmas ,

The hottest Christmas ever in Perth
Yikes, that's hot. Do you ever get snow in Perth? Thanks for commenting!
12-21-2021, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What’s not to like!? It’s a fine composition with punchy color and enough detail. The light was perfect and your exposure is excellent.
12-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
What’s not to like!? It’s a fine composition with punchy color and enough detail. The light was perfect and your exposure is excellent.

Thanks! This is one of the times I managed a good composition and the scan came out very well.