Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
6 Likes  #1
My twelve for 2021
Lens: DA 20-40, DA 16-85, DA 35 Limited, K 28/2, K 35/3.5, Sigma 10-20/3.5, FA 43/1.9 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Spain 
Posted By: Jonathan Mac, 12-22-2021, 07:58 AM

Well, another year of pandemic but one that did allow some scope for getting out and taking photos. No international travel for me but we did manage a few trips within Spain, including Valencia (where I'd never been before).

I had to exclude quite a few favourites in order to narrow this down to twelve but we have to draw the line somewhere.

These were all taken on the K-3.

Starting off in January we saw the greatest snowfall Madrid has seen in fifty years and it was quite something. The 16-85mm handled the inclement weather without a hiccup and I used this lens quite a lot this year.

Spring brought some wonderful colour and I found this magnificent tree in a park I don't usually visit though it's only five minutes walk from my flat. This also shows a technique I used quite a bit this year - a wide aperture but focused to infinity rather than something up close and blurring out the background. This was taken with the SMC DA 35mm Limited (still my favourite lens ever).

This is a church not far from home, I believe for a Romanian denomination of some sort. I took the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 (a lens I've used very little since I bought it) and had some ultra-wide fun. I have an alternative edit of this, with the shadows boosted and warmed a lot more, but it's a bit OTT and not really my style.

My younger daughter is getting bigger and before she got mobile she liked to relax in her little hammock. This shot introduces the DA 20-40mm Limited I bought this year, which is a great little zoom.

When we got a bright yellow table and chair set for our little balcony I had to find a suitable subject to use it for some colourful photos. This one was with the K series 35mm f/3.5, a very nice little manual prime that doesn't get the use it deserves due to a wealth of other great options at that focal length.

Some minimalism here and a shot from what has to be the stand-out lens acquisition of the year: the K 28mm f/2. It's every bit as good as it's reputation suggests.

This summer saw the return of the hot air balloon festival to Segovia but, as two years ago, I was only able to attend the first morning as the next day we set off for Valencia. The 20-40mm shows you don't need a super-wide to capture these events (though the 16-85mm probably saw more use).

And the trip to Valencia and the Albufera area where we stayed gave some great opportunities, including this shot, which I would say is my favourite from the whole year. DA 16-85mm.

DA 16-86mm

DA 16-85mm

DA 16-85mm. Something about the light (just prior to sunset) makes this shot one of my favourites from the trip.

And I'll finish off with a stitched panorama taken out my kitchen window recently where there was a rare mist over the park next to where we live and some great sunrise colours too. SMC FA 43mm Limited.

Here's for a 2022 which treats us all a little better and brings a little less heartache and ignorance and a bit more understanding and wisdom.
Views: 407
12-22-2021, 08:05 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
incredible lovely series of photos Jon!
great colours and awesome composition!
a joy to look through - thanks for posting
12-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Outstanding series! They really show your eye for great composition and originality. The equipment isn't half bad either.
12-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Here's for a 2022 which treats us all a little better and brings a little less heartache and ignorance and a bit more understanding and wisdom.
Thanks so much for your heartwarming series of wonderful images. I love how you combined short descriptions of the scenes and comments on the lenses used. And showed that one doesn't need to travel far to find interesting subjects.

As for your first picture -- it could have been taken in Ottawa in January!

- Craig

12-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, this is a really lovely set of photos, a pleasure to view.
12-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice set of shots.

Did you mean this as the typical end of the year thread for 12 shots or was this just to showcase your selection? I mean I like to those threads and would like to go thru my year, pick 12 and post them, so should I do it here or make a new thread to get it going.
12-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Amazing shots, all of them. Thanks for sharing Jon!

12-22-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful photos, Jonathan, and well curated. Thanks for sharing!
12-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Really nice series! I especially like the one with the Bub`s foot!
12-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Many thanks everyone. I feel that 2021 was considerably more productive than 2020.

QuoteOriginally posted by iheiramo Quote
Nice set of shots.

Did you mean this as the typical end of the year thread for 12 shots or was this just to showcase your selection? I mean I like to those threads and would like to go thru my year, pick 12 and post them, so should I do it here or make a new thread to get it going.
I meant this thread just for my stuff I suppose. It's a cross-post from the UK forum where I usually post a selection of twelve to represent my photographic year.
12-23-2021, 08:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I meant this thread just for my stuff I suppose. It's a cross-post from the UK forum where I usually post a selection of twelve to represent my photographic year.
Beautiful images, and I do like that idea to post twelve images to highlight the whole photographic year.
12-23-2021, 09:44 AM   #12
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Many thanks everyone. I feel that 2021 was considerably more productive than 2020.

Ok. I think I kick up the traditional end of the year thread in couple of days unless someone beats me to it. I need to get this Christmas thing out of the way first
12-23-2021, 10:21 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful set of photos for 2021. Thanks for giving us a recap of the year in photos. Happy holidays.