Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Sitta europaea
Lens: Sigma 120-400/4.5-5.6 APO DG HSM Camera: Pentax K-70 Photo Location: Near Opatovice, CZ ISO: 10000 Shutter Speed: 1/80s Aperture: F6.3 
Posted By: Tomas_IV, 12-24-2021, 04:42 PM

Taken at first shooting by my new forest bird feeder. It was cloudy dark day, so see how old K-70 can cope with ISO 10000. More photos in full resolution also of tits and one shot of my DYI feeder at Sýkorka a brhlík u lesního krmítka | Zonerama.com

Last edited by Tomas_IV; 12-26-2021 at 05:22 AM.
Views: 977
12-24-2021, 08:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Intriguing shot of a very interesting bird!
And the texture of the high ISO seems to be an enhancement.
Angky.
12-26-2021, 05:19 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. The noise is a little suppressed in pp, but not so that the noise is removed or grains made smaller, I would say it is just a little "cultivated". I also do not see a little of noise as a defect. Certainly much better than smearing away details and sharpness.
The bird should be Eurasian Nuthatch in English, quite a common species in our forests.

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Intriguing shot of a very interesting bird!
And the texture of the high ISO seems to be an enhancement.
Angky.

Last edited by Tomas_IV; 12-26-2021 at 07:46 AM.
12-26-2021, 06:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice capture! This nuthatch has some beautiful colors.

12-26-2021, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty nice. High ISO shots can look good. These birds don't give poses for very long at a. time.
12-26-2021, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice clear shot of that tiny bird, and the detail is great in spite of high ISO.
12-26-2021, 03:42 PM - 1 Like   #7
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know how you resisted the temptation of bumping up the saturation, but it looks very nice as it is. Lovely shot.

01-18-2022, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rm2 Quote
I don't know how you resisted the temptation of bumping up the saturation, but it looks very nice as it is. Lovely shot.
Thanks. I actually do not bump saturation up as a rule for a few years now (means almost never, rules are here to be broken, but only with a reason). I like realistic colors my camera and lenses produce, so I start RAW processing with a profile based on either "film like curves" or curves based on what the camera have set, and try to only change exposure, contrast (restraining myself here as well), highlights compression and color balance - colors/levels wise, if possible. Sometimes with slight additional curves touches with high dynamic range pictures. Since I started to use this workflow, I am more satisfied with the results, compared to when I always started with auto levels button, which at least for me almost always creates oversaturated and
too high contrast result, often hard to get back to something naturally looking. I am using RawTherapee.