Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Snowy Owl and Gyrfalcon on January 1st 2022
Lens: DA*300/4 Camera: K3 Photo Location: Cacouna, Québec ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F5.6 
Posted By: jpzk, 01-02-2022, 09:17 AM

Not my best shots ... didn't have much time to take shots.
Nonetheless, quite happy to see those two to start the year!
Cheers!

Views: 333
01-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A great way to start the new year. Both images are very good, but I prefer the second, head on shot of the owl. I'm not familiar with that falcon, but like its feather pattern. Great shots. Thanks for posting.
01-02-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shots. Kind of looks cold and wintery
01-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For me , seeing these photos is fortunate . Thanks for sending !

01-02-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
A great way to start the new year. Both images are very good, but I prefer the second, head on shot of the owl. I'm not familiar with that falcon, but like its feather pattern. Great shots. Thanks for posting.
Thanks for the comment

The gyrfalcon (largest falcon) is a far North bird and comes "South" during the winter, so I am not surprised if you are not familiar with it where you reside!

---------- Post added 01-02-22 at 03:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by phx.david Quote
Beautiful shots. Kind of looks cold and wintery
Thanks.

Yes it was cold and wintery but certainly not as cold and snowy as we normally have it this time of the year.
This has been an ongoing phenomenon over the past few years ...
I suppose this has something to do with climatic changes (educated guess)?
01-02-2022, 02:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Exceptional photographs, particularly getting a pix of the Gyrfalcon before it flew away.

I have been able to get photos of owls, but so far ...not ever get a picture of any falcon or hawk. The last two always head for the hills, before I can get a photo... no matter how stealthily I approach them. I'm using a 500 mm lens.

Great shots. We have seen gyrfalcons on occasion, and they are truly magnificent birds of prey.
01-02-2022, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Exceptional photographs, particularly getting a pix of the Gyrfalcon before it flew away.

I have been able to get photos of owls, but so far ...not ever get a picture of any falcon or hawk. The last two always head for the hills, before I can get a photo... no matter how stealthily I approach them. I'm using a 500 mm lens.

Great shots. We have seen gyrfalcons on occasion, and they are truly magnificent birds of prey.
Thanks a bunch, Les !
Those two were "luck shots" since I was driving by and they happened to be quite close.
The Snowy was very quiet ... I could have probably been able to walk toward it at close range but I didn't want to upset her!

The Gyrfalcon .... always seem to be around that same area years after year; I wonder if that is the same one for the past few years ???
... very nervous of course.... I walked toward it while aiming the camera and took some shots. Seemingly, according to some local photographers, I am the "lucky one" !

I wish I had a 500mm lens though but, on the other hand, I don't know if I would be able to hold it up while walking and aiming at the "target"!

Best wished to you and your close ones for the year 2022!

01-02-2022, 11:57 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks a bunch, Les !
Those two were "luck shots" since I was driving by and they happened to be quite close.
The Snowy was very quiet ... I could have probably been able to walk toward it at close range but I didn't want to upset her!

The Gyrfalcon .... always seem to be around that same area years after year; I wonder if that is the same one for the past few years ???
... very nervous of course.... I walked toward it while aiming the camera and took some shots. Seemingly, according to some local photographers, I am the "lucky one" !

I wish I had a 500mm lens though but, on the other hand, I don't know if I would be able to hold it up while walking and aiming at the "target"!

Best wished to you and your close ones for the year 2022!
Best wishes to you and your family for 2022.

My wife and I are both retired, and have done a lot of driving day trips in our province (Manitoba), NW Ontario, North Dakota and Minnesota . We usually hit the back roads, farm roads during all seasons.

One area we go to on a regular basis, in Mb., is an area known as the Pembina Hills, in Canada, and in North Dakota it is known as the Pembina Gorge.

It is an area in the spring, where there is a raptor migration flyway, from the south to western Canada, northern Canada and NW Ontario. It is a conduit for raptors...Harris Hawks, Red Tails, Bald and a lesser amount of Golden Eagles, plus many other hawks, falcons, etc. fly through.

About 5 years ago, we came across an interesting scene in the Pembina Hills.

A magpie had flown straight up into the air...to about 100 feet or so...then dive bombed quickly to the ground. A gyrfalcon happened to fly by it...probably within about 25 feet....apparently not interested in lunch...but the magpie instantly dropped like a rock... we assumed due to fear.

This incident has become a permanent memory.
01-03-2022, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Best wishes to you and your family for 2022.

My wife and I are both retired, and have done a lot of driving day trips in our province (Manitoba), NW Ontario, North Dakota and Minnesota . We usually hit the back roads, farm roads during all seasons.

One area we go to on a regular basis, in Mb., is an area known as the Pembina Hills, in Canada, and in North Dakota it is known as the Pembina Gorge.

It is an area in the spring, where there is a raptor migration flyway, from the south to western Canada, northern Canada and NW Ontario. It is a conduit for raptors...Harris Hawks, Red Tails, Bald and a lesser amount of Golden Eagles, plus many other hawks, falcons, etc. fly through.

About 5 years ago, we came across an interesting scene in the Pembina Hills.

A magpie had flown straight up into the air...to about 100 feet or so...then dive bombed quickly to the ground. A gyrfalcon happened to fly by it...probably within about 25 feet....apparently not interested in lunch...but the magpie instantly dropped like a rock... we assumed due to fear.

This incident has become a permanent memory.
Funny story with that magpie ... heart attack? !!
We're also very much retired but I am finding it tough to get walking around in the winter to go shooting, unfortunately.
The best I can manage is to drive around and hope for the best- getting suspiciously fragile in the cold.
So, thanks again!
01-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Funny story with that magpie ... heart attack? !!
We're also very much retired but I am finding it tough to get walking around in the winter to go shooting, unfortunately.
The best I can manage is to drive around and hope for the best- getting suspiciously fragile in the cold.
So, thanks again!
I'm the same. I'm in my early 70's now.

I used to go long walks through forests, with camera equipment in tow, now mostly we drive around....hoping to come across something of interest. In early 2020, we got our first SUV....4WD, good ground clearance , etc. Which we use for country back roads.

Feel more secure with it, better chance of not getting stuck in the snow.
01-03-2022, 05:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fascinating and extremely good shots--whether or not they are your best!
Thanks much for posting them! (Although envy makes me wish you hadn't!!!!)

Reading your dialogue between the two of you helps me understand my own failing aggressiveness in getting out to rough country for the really good shots!
Glad to read it!
Keep shooting and posting your stuff!
Angky.
01-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Fascinating and extremely good shots--whether or not they are your best!
Thanks much for posting them! (Although envy makes me wish you hadn't!!!!)

Reading your dialogue between the two of you helps me understand my own failing aggressiveness in getting out to rough country for the really good shots!
Glad to read it!
Keep shooting and posting your stuff!
Angky.
Thanks !
I'll try not to post my best shots then ...
Yeah, going out "in the wild" is becoming a real adventure, even when I have the energy and the guts to do it.