Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Curious Young Buck
Camera: K1 
Posted By: tncasual, 01-02-2022, 05:24 PM

The Great Smoky Mountains is the most visted national park in the US. But it is still a big place, full of wildlife. I have been hiking for 20 years in the park, and only a few times have I ever come across any of the large(ish) animals in the park. Once a bear, once some otters, a few times some deer.

This morning I was hiking up Lead Cove Trail. My plan was a simply out and back up to the junction with Bote Mountain. It's not a real popular trail, but also a well used one. So wildlife on this trail is probably not that common, as there are regular hikers. And, the Smokies are a big place. There is plenty of space not on or around hiking trails for the animals to enjoy.

About 3/4 of the way up the trail I was spooked by this young buck foraging on the trail. Pardon the not-so-great shot, I had the D FA 28-105 mounted - not the greatest wildlife lens. Also, I was almost into the low clouds, so lighting was nowhere near ideal.

He raised his head, looked at me curiously and slowly moved up the hill off trail, as if to let me pass. I thanked him for the politeness and continue along my way. It was another 5-8 minute uphill climb to my scheduled rest/turnaround spot. I took a few minutes to rest on a stump. Then mounted the DA* 60-250 to try and capture some shots of the distant ridge just coming out of the low clouds. I walked down Bote Mountain trail 75 yards or so looking for a break in the trees for a clear shot.

Then I turned around to head back down happy with another nice hike on a warm January morning. I came around a small bend in the trail, and there he was again. That small buck was coming down the trail right to me. His curious little eyes still trying to figure why I was in his forest.

Note that he has some very expresive dark eyebrows. As well as some light markings directly below his eyes. Also, he has some interesting spots of white at the top of each hoof.

Again, he kept his eye on me as he slowly made his way off the side of the trail. We had an understanding that we were going different directions, and we needed to pass.

Giving him a few moments, I continued on. As always happens, as I passed where he entered the forest, I saw no sign of him. He simply melted into the winter trees and clouds. I thanked him, under my breath, again for his politeness.

A fun little encounter on another wonderful hike in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Views: 443
01-02-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to admit that your meeting with this buck was a rare event that might not ever be repeated with this level of interaction. A great story documented with very nice images of the buck and the terrain. Through patience and politeness to each other, you extended the encounter. Thanks for this wonderful post.
01-03-2022, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tncasual Quote
Curious Young Buck
I used to get called that, many, many years ago now... in fact more than I care to remember.

01-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This buck was curious about you at least for a time . Hiking can be worth doing for many reasons .

01-03-2022, 10:42 AM   #5

Once in a lifetime event-thanks for sharing
01-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots and an even greater encounter. My experience is about the time you see them, they're running away.
01-03-2022, 05:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great first shot showing how excellently he blends right into his world.
The coloring is unique--at least to us in the west. Almost looks like he might have had a black Jersey milk cow for his mom.
Good shots and good words!
Angky.

01-04-2022, 09:33 AM   #8
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That fourth one is my favorite.