Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pink Angel Trumpet plant
Lens: pentax Da 18-135mm Camera: Pentax K5lls Photo Location: Sanford Florida ISO: 1250 Shutter Speed: 1/320s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: rhanz, 01-05-2022, 06:10 PM

I noticed this plant in bloom growing in my neighbor hood on new years day.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 768
01-05-2022, 07:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That plant has some big booms. The climate must be nice.
01-05-2022, 08:28 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cascading blooms all the way down!
Angky.
01-06-2022, 03:42 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well-grown Brugmansias ("angel's trumpet") can be completely covered with these amazing flowers. The pink ones are less common than the white and yellow, there are a few hybrids that produce orange, gold, or salmon-colored flowers. Poisonous, though!

01-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Well-grown Brugmansias ("angel's trumpet") can be completely covered with these amazing flowers. The pink ones are less common than the white and yellow, there are a few hybrids that produce orange, gold, or salmon-colored flowers. Poisonous, though!
The leaves and blooms looked 'suspiciously' like a common plant in our part of the world--Datura stramonium (jimsonweed). When you said it is poisonous, I checked it out. Both belong to the Solanaceae family, and both have poisonous seeds with hallucinogenic properties.
Very interesting!
Do these Brugmansias have a very offensive odor when the plant is cut? Jimsonweeds grew in our cornfields and I had to hoe them down--nauseating smell when the hoe hacked into them, regardless of the beautiful flowers!
Angky.
01-07-2022, 08:06 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
The leaves and blooms looked 'suspiciously' like a common plant in our part of the world--Datura stramonium (jimsonweed). When you said it is poisonous, I checked it out. Both belong to the Solanaceae family, and both have poisonous seeds with hallucinogenic properties.
Very interesting!
Do these Brugmansias have a very offensive odor when the plant is cut? Jimsonweeds grew in our cornfields and I had to hoe them down--nauseating smell when the hoe hacked into them, regardless of the beautiful flowers!
Angky.
Right, Brugmansia is related to Datura. I think -- not sure, wouldn't bet my life on it -- that at one time they were all considered species in Datura. Regarding the, um, odor -- honestly, I can't say. My former employer had a lot of them in his very large garden, and being extremely anal about groundskeeping, he would often have the crew cutting and pruning. But all of that happened on days when the nursery was closed and I wasn't working, so I don't know if it was a stinky chore. I don't recall any particular cloud of offensive-ness around the Brugmansias after such pruning, but it would likely have been done days prior, time enough for it to dissipate.