Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Newfoundland Harbor
Posted By: JMR, 12-09-2008, 12:12 PM

From a trip to Newfoundland, Canada. A hauntingly beautiful place, with a people as rugged as the landscape. Early morning fog at a quiet isolated harbor.

JMR - Impressions and landscapes- powered by SmugMug

Last edited by JMR; 12-14-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Views: 2,873
12-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
good photo.I wonder , what people do there in spare time
12-09-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fragla Quote
good photo.I wonder , what people do there in spare time
Well, NFLD (also known as the 'the Rock') was a big fishing island until the Cod became scarce. NFLD's fishing resources is the main reason many of the European and other peoples from around the world came to fish off its shores, known as the Grand banks. There is still some fishery, but the big industry now is the off-shore Oil industry. NFLD is like many places in the world, most of its people are scattered throughout Canada because they had to go where the jobs are. Lots of hunting, and a little bit of mining and tourism.

Thanks for the feedback.

JMR
12-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
Well, NFLD (also known as the 'the Rock') was a big fishing island until the Cod became scarce. NFLD's fishing resources is the main reason many of the European and other peoples from around the world came to fish off its shores, known as the Grand banks. There is still some fishery, but the big industry now is the off-shore Oil industry. NFLD is like many places in the world, most of its people are scattered throughout Canada because they had to go where the jobs are. Lots of hunting, and a little bit of mining and tourism.

Thanks for the feedback.

JMR
Thanks a lot. You explained to me with details.

12-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Very moody image. works well here JMR.. JIMBO
12-09-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice picture, but it screams one thing at me: B&W, B&W...
12-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JMR Quote
From a trip to Newfoundland, Canada. A hauntingly beautiful place, with a people as rugged as the landscape. Early morning fog at a quiet isolated harbor.

JMR - Impressions and landscapes- powered by SmugMug
An evocative photo - although I must admit at first glance (before I noticed the rocky ground), it looked a bit like Surfside Beach (a barrier island) a couple of days after hurricane Ike.

This kind of image - subtle and moody - is outstanding. Great job.

Jer

12-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a great shot that really captures the essence of the place. Very well done.

You might be interested in this series as well from earlier in the year. I go there 2-3 times a year and love Newfoundland.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/30162-newfoundland-few-icebergs.html
12-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #9
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Very moody image. works well here JMR.. JIMBO
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
nice picture, but it screams one thing at me: B&W, B&W...
Thanks. I have a b-w version. Don't know about you but I like to show my images in the version I like best and not two versions so as not to diminish what the image may express. So if I showed you BW, you would not have seen the color version. Just my preference.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
An evocative photo - although I must admit at first glance (before I noticed the rocky ground), it looked a bit like Surfside Beach (a barrier island) a couple of days after hurricane Ike.

This kind of image - subtle and moody - is outstanding. Great job.

Jer
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It's a great shot that really captures the essence of the place. Very well done.

You might be interested in this series as well from earlier in the year. I go there 2-3 times a year and love Newfoundland.
Thanks Peter. I guessed you may have visited that area a few times, after all, you are from the East Coast of Canada, a very beautiful area of Canada. Will have a look at your photos.

JMR
12-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Nice shot !

If I woke up to see that , I would go back to sleep .

After the tourists are gone around here , it's very much like that !
12-10-2008, 06:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I don't think you could even begin to compare any part of California to Newfoundland - there, I said it.
12-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great shot JMR - as already stated, it captures the essence of the east coast and specifically NFLD very well.

I liked living in Nova Scotia, since you were never more than an hour's drive from the coast, yet it had relatively undulating or even rugged terrain.
12-10-2008, 09:53 AM   #13
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dantuyhoa Quote
Nice shot !

If I woke up to see that , I would go back to sleep .

After the tourists are gone around here , it's very much like that !
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I don't think you could even begin to compare any part of California to Newfoundland - there, I said it.
You are quite right, California is nothing like Newfoundland, but I think he was only kidding.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Great shot JMR - as already stated, it captures the essence of the east coast and specifically NFLD very well.

I liked living in Nova Scotia, since you were never more than an hour's drive from the coast, yet it had relatively undulating or even rugged terrain.
And then you ended up in Arkansas. Many thanks for the compliments. To be sure, not taking an image of a fishing village in Nefoundland is like not taking photos of the mountains in BC when there. I love the Nova Scotia and PEI and the East Coast. But the West? well, when the Prairie farmer was asked what he thought about living next to the beautiful majestic mountains and seeing them every day, he responded, "They're nice, but they get in the way of the view" ;-)

JMR
12-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent shot. Very moody. Nicely done.
12-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
JMR
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Frank. I see you are from San Francisco and surely need no introduction to fog.

JMR