Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Green Swale In Range Land
Lens: SMC Pentax-DFA Macro f:2.8 100mm WR Camera: K-1 ii Photo Location: Sacramento Valley Coastal Range ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F13.5 
Posted By: angkymac, 01-06-2022, 08:51 PM

Grabbed this shot on the spur of the moment--and not sure why.
Now that I am reviewing the images from that day, this one continually catches the eye and stops the review for a bit.
And again, I am not sure why.
Others have said similarly.

If anyone can explain what about this image makes it attractive, can you please explain it?
It is merely a long sweeping curve on top of another one with a lighter area in the middle.
I have never had any training in art or basic design so I am puzzled as to what is making it interesting.
Or, if it is not really that appealing in general, please let me know that too!

Post processing consisted only of a bit of darkening and moderate increase in contrast.
Just a bit puzzled.
Angky.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 

Views: 357
01-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the contrast of the shrubs and the fence, the nice green color and detail of the hill, and the added color of the blue and white of the sky, the scene contains a slightly diverse and detailed variety.
01-07-2022, 04:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the smooth contours of those rolling hills. It has good colors and contrast. I would think that a wider shot would have shown more. Good shot.
01-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
With the contrast of the shrubs and the fence, the nice green color and detail of the hill, and the added color of the blue and white of the sky, the scene contains a slightly diverse and detailed variety.
Thanks for your observations.
Interestingly, I was intending to remove--crop out--the shrubs and fence. Instead I posted the shot just as I took it (lighting changed only)
What you say might be a big piece of why the folks who have seen it always flip right back to it.
Appreciate the input!
Angky.

---------- Post added 01-08-22 at 01:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
It's the smooth contours of those rolling hills. It has good colors and contrast. I would think that a wider shot would have shown more. Good shot.
"It's the smooth contours," you say.
Thanks for that observation.
I look at it again, and I can see how that might work.
And the neatly spaced terracing--from animals grazing along the contour of horizontal level--might enhance the visual effect of the sweeping contours.
Maybe that, in context of the straight diagonal of brush and fence...?

As to the wider shot, I think I'll work on that range of hills some more and see if I can achieve what you suggest.
Thanks for the help.
Angky.

01-09-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like this photo. I see it as a detail shot - a partial view of the landscape that allows one to see down into its character.

Jer
01-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I like this photo. I see it as a detail shot - a partial view of the landscape that allows one to see down into its character.

Jer
Thank you!
Your description of it as a detail shot is right on.
I have been trying to understand my own images--what I tend to shoot--and that is what I'm coming up with.
Typically shooting a telephoto segment of a bigger landscape.
I'm wondering why i shoot that way, and your statement of "seeing down into its character" really does resonate.
Thanks for your perspective.
Angky.