Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11 Likes  #1
Bald Eagle in freezing rain.
Lens: DA* 300 F/4 Camera: K-3ii Photo Location: Western Maryland. ISO: 500 Shutter Speed: 1/800s Aperture: F7.1 
Posted By: bschriver11, 01-09-2022, 07:11 PM

Views: 690
01-09-2022, 11:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a challenging shot through the branches. I would have that one on MF.

It's a bit frosty. It is interesting to see the twigs in the lower left come into focus, as they appear in the foreground.
01-10-2022, 05:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shot. The ice on the branches completes a good shot of the eagle.
01-10-2022, 06:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Outstanding shot!

01-10-2022, 11:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The eagle looks a little weathered as it should. Great shot in less than ideal shooting conditions.
01-10-2022, 03:07 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Strange how well birds can survive such weather.
I've seen them with capes of ice around their shoulders after a night of this. They seem none the worse for it!
Angky.
01-10-2022, 03:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot. Excellent detail.

01-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Making this image could mean cold fingers and other discomforts , but well worth the trouble .
01-10-2022, 04:59 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pichaser Quote
Making this image could mean cold fingers and other discomforts , but well worth the trouble .
It could make for cold fingers but i was shooting out of the car window, they stock trout in the winter and there always seems to be quite a few of them in the back of this cove where a nice stream comes into the dam so the Eagle is there quite often close to the road.
01-10-2022, 05:32 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
It could make for cold fingers but i was shooting out of the car window, they stock trout in the winter and there always seems to be quite a few of them in the back of this cove where a nice stream comes into the dam so the Eagle is there quite often close to the road.
Thanks for the background information.

In rural Iowa, some eagles nest around streams or small bodies of water, others nest around pig farms. Hog farmers deposit dead fetal piglets into the field to fertilize soil. Eagles can be seen in bunches in farm fields presumably dining on carrion piglets, although from the road we cannot really ascertain what it is that brought them together.

Presumably no one on a photo website would be interested in this, but Iowa has lots of wind farms. In 2020 wind energy accounted for 57% of Iowa's electricity generation. Pig farmers within a certain distance of wind farms (I don't know the distance markers), are legally prohibited from depositing deceased fetal/baby animals in the field because the turbine blades present a danger to bald eagles. Wind farms are required to employ people, especially in winter months, to count dead eagles under the turbines. The same persons warn farmers violating the rules. Wind farms can also be held to account financially for deceased eagles. I presume farmers can be held to account as well if they violate federal rules and/or regulations and laws.
01-11-2022, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Thanks for the background information.

In rural Iowa, some eagles nest around streams or small bodies of water, others nest around pig farms. Hog farmers deposit dead fetal piglets into the field to fertilize soil. Eagles can be seen in bunches in farm fields presumably dining on carrion piglets, although from the road we cannot really ascertain what it is that brought them together.

Presumably no one on a photo website would be interested in this, but Iowa has lots of wind farms. In 2020 wind energy accounted for 57% of Iowa's electricity generation. Pig farmers within a certain distance of wind farms (I don't know the distance markers), are legally prohibited from depositing deceased fetal/baby animals in the field because the turbine blades present a danger to bald eagles. Wind farms are required to employ people, especially in winter months, to count dead eagles under the turbines. The same persons warn farmers violating the rules. Wind farms can also be held to account financially for deceased eagles. I presume farmers can be held to account as well if they violate federal rules and/or regulations and laws.
Thanks for the good info.
01-17-2022, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mroeder75 Quote
Presumably no one on a photo website would be interested in this
Don't presume! I find it very interesting. Eagles have been slowly reintroduced into our area (NE Tennessee). We have about 20 nesting pairs. They have a kind of cult following. The ornithology department at ETSU, my alma mater, hosts eagle cams for a couple of sites that are shown on local access cable channels. During nesting season, we're always flipping it over to see what they're up to.
01-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm in Maryland where there is probably the largest population in the East because of the Chesapeake Bay but I am on the Western side of the state so we don't see them every day. The sightings here have increased over the years but very slowly so it is a unique opportunity to photograph one at such a close distance!
01-17-2022, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My only opportunity to photograph one close was in Alaska. They are as common there as robins are here. I saw literally thousands of them, although just a couple close enough to photograph.
01-17-2022, 03:42 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tncowdaddy Quote
My only opportunity to photograph one close was in Alaska. They are as common there as robins are here. I saw literally thousands of them, although just a couple close enough to photograph.
It's exciting for us that rarely get to see them!