Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  #1
Red Runner Retreat (abandoned Route 66)
Lens: 15-30mm f/2.8 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Route 66, Mojave Desert ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 01-11-2022, 09:03 AM

Red Runner Retreat
~~~~~
A cloudy night at an old cafe and gas station along historic Route 66, Mojave Desert. This structure had burned on the same evening as the Goffs General Store, likely due to arson. Volunteers had cleaned up much of the area and even repainted part of the historic "retreat" sign. This structure was the former cafe. After two long years, my night photography friends and I got together for an eight-night trip to Nevada and California. This was a 1856-mile night photography safari with Tim Little, Mike Cooper, and George Loo, and George the monkey. Illuminated during the exposure by a full moon trying to break through the clouds and a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device. This photo will most likely appear in my third history/night photography book I'm working on now. Thank you.
~~~~~
(Plate 5963) Pentax K-1/15-30mm f/2.8 lens. 3 minutes f/8 ISO 200. October 2021.
Views: 329
01-11-2022, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ludlow has such abandoned places all around. I think you could buy the town for very little money and proclaim yourself "King of the Desert" ... lol ! You show a side of picture-taking I had never thought about. I never tire of your pictures. Plus you have plenty of subject matter in Southern California. Keep it up !

01-11-2022, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
Ludlow has such abandoned places all around. I think you could buy the town for very little money and proclaim yourself "King of the Desert" ... lol ! You show a side of picture-taking I had never thought about. I never tire of your pictures. Plus you have plenty of subject matter in Southern California. Keep it up !
Thanks, that's so kind of you. And I never tire of seeing those Route 66 signs on the highway.

You're right too, Ludlow has quite a few abandoned places. I haven't gotten to all the houses and structures there, but there really are a lot of places there.

I have a feeling you are going to recognize these!

01-11-2022, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I always stop at Ludlow to get gas and exit the National Trails to get on I-40. You must know Amboy, too ? The State is literally covered in "gorgeous junk" ... lol !

01-11-2022, 06:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great night shots. Those long night exposures really add an atmosphere to the subjects. The show the movement of time while the past stands still. It's hard to image these were once places full of life. Thanks for showing. Thanks to Richard L. also for adding his comments and photos
01-11-2022, 07:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
[B]Yes, I always stop at Ludlow to get gas and exit the National Trails to get on I-40. You must know Amboy, too ? The State is literally covered in "gorgeous junk" ... lol !
Gorgeous junk! I love it! Yes, you're right! This is part of the fun of night photography, discovering these new places. I've written two books with history/abandoned night photography stuff, and absolutely love it. Working on some more books.

---------- Post added 01-11-22 at 08:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Great night shots. Those long night exposures really add an atmosphere to the subjects. The show the movement of time while the past stands still. It's hard to image these were once places full of life. Thanks for showing. Thanks to Richard L. also for adding his comments and photos
Thanks. It's that movement of time that really fascinates me. And the light painting is super creative and active. And it's a major time-suck. I mean, it feels like you just spend a few minutes on a single setup, and BOOM! 30 minutes have gone by! And the BOOM! A few photos and it's suddenly 1:30 AM!
01-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On Rte 247 between Yucca Valley and Victorville. Cars don't rust in the desert ! LOL

:D

01-11-2022, 09:24 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Enjoyed reading the interaction and seeing the photos of both of you!
Angky.