Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
9 Likes  #1
Piano and Church
Lens: 15-30mm f/2.8 Camera: K-1 Mk I Photo Location: Mojave Desert ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: Ken Lee, 01-12-2022, 06:10 PM

I created this photo with the intention of making a holiday card. We never did, but well, it's a fun photo nevertheless, so I thought I'd share it with you. Rather late, but hey, I just joined the Forums not very long ago, so you'll hopefully forgive me.

Caroling Mojave Style
~~~~~
A musical night winterland holiday scene, Mojave style, located in El Dorado Canyon in Nevada, with a rather weathered piano for accompaniment. After two long years, my night photography friends and I got together for an eight-night trip to Nevada and California. This was a 1856-mile night photography safari with Tim Little, Mike Cooper, and George Loo, and George the monkey. Illuminated during the exposure by a full moon and a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device. Thank you.
~~~~~
(Plate 5673) Pentax K-1/15-30mm f/2.8 lens. 139 seconds f/8 ISO 200. October 2021.

Last edited by Ken Lee; 01-12-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Views: 645
01-12-2022, 09:33 PM   #2

Outstanding composite. Very very acute level of photography. And processing.
01-12-2022, 10:59 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Really unique way of capturing this scene.
Angky.
01-13-2022, 05:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You expect to see a ghost sitting at the piano. Terrific mood or atmosphere you created there. Lighting in the building also makes it inviting.

Best Regards

P.S. When I am in Nevada, I take Rte 95 towards the north of Las Vegas, then switch to Rte 156 and go up Mount Charleston. They have 2 or 3 tremendous campgrounds in Lee Canyon at an elevation of 8500 feet. In the summer, it is 115 degrees F in the Las Vegas valley but only 85 degrees up there among pines and junipers. Nevada is mostly empty desert and you find remnants of human settlements here and there but it's Nature that is beautiful in the Mojave. You can go to Parhump and Death Valley too on Rte 160 (Blue Diamond Hwy) towards the West or to Valley of Fire State Park towards the East on I-15. Go hug a Yucca for me ... lol !

Last edited by RICHARD L.; 01-13-2022 at 07:10 AM.
01-13-2022, 08:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Exceptional capture. Great use of lighting to make a superb image.
01-16-2022, 02:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ken Lee Quote

I created this photo with the intention of making a holiday card. We never did, but well, it's a fun photo nevertheless, so I thought I'd share it with you. Rather late, but hey, I just joined the Forums not very long ago, so you'll hopefully forgive me.

Caroling Mojave Style
~~~~~
A musical night winterland holiday scene, Mojave style, located in El Dorado Canyon in Nevada, with a rather weathered piano for accompaniment. After two long years, my night photography friends and I got together for an eight-night trip to Nevada and California. This was a 1856-mile night photography safari with Tim Little, Mike Cooper, and George Loo, and George the monkey. Illuminated during the exposure by a full moon and a handheld ProtoMachines LED2 light painting device. Thank you.
~~~~~
(Plate 5673) Pentax K-1/15-30mm f/2.8 lens. 139 seconds f/8 ISO 200. October 2021.
Perfect! Congrats!
01-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ForthComing Quote
Outstanding composite. Very very acute level of photography. And processing.
Thanks!! Actually, though, it's not a composite! This is a single exposure, no cute and paste or combining two photos or any of that.

---------- Post added 01-18-22 at 06:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
Really unique way of capturing this scene.
Angky.
Thanks. It was not the easiest light painting. I wanted to illuminate the piano a certain way and had to use light modifiers to get it the way I was pre-visusalizing it.

---------- Post added 01-18-22 at 06:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
You expect to see a ghost sitting at the piano. Terrific mood or atmosphere you created there. Lighting in the building also makes it inviting.

Best Regards

P.S. When I am in Nevada, I take Rte 95 towards the north of Las Vegas, then switch to Rte 156 and go up Mount Charleston. They have 2 or 3 tremendous campgrounds in Lee Canyon at an elevation of 8500 feet. In the summer, it is 115 degrees F in the Las Vegas valley but only 85 degrees up there among pines and junipers. Nevada is mostly empty desert and you find remnants of human settlements here and there but it's Nature that is beautiful in the Mojave. You can go to Parhump and Death Valley too on Rte 160 (Blue Diamond Hwy) towards the West or to Valley of Fire State Park towards the East on I-15. Go hug a Yucca for me ... lol !
Thanks. I have barely explored Nevada, but it is a gold mine (pardon the pun) for ghost towns and more.

I am not familiar with the first part you are describing (Mt. Charleston, etc.) but have been to Valley of Fire, Death Valley, and Pahrump. And of course, the Beatty/Rhyolite area.

---------- Post added 01-18-22 at 06:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Exceptional capture. Great use of lighting to make a superb image.
Thank you! Like I mention above, lighting the piano from the angle I wanted was super challenging.

---------- Post added 01-18-22 at 06:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Fotus Tuus Quote
Perfect! Congrats!
Thank you!!