Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
A little too close for this gator's comfort!
Lens: DA 16-85mm Camera: KP Photo Location: Loxahatchee, FL ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 
Posted By: CBM, 01-13-2022, 09:48 AM

From the bank of the canal, which was flat with good traction, about 8' above this guy, the bank was steep and muddy, so I felt pretty good about my ability to get away. He did not feel the same, as soon as the shutter clicked he whipped his tail around sweeping half way up the bank - gone in the blink of an eye - impressive!

Nothing but a trail of bubbles in his wake - I only had time to jump back a step or two - no doubt he would've had me if the elevation was more to his advantage. Probably a 7 footer, I really didn't think he'd feel threatened by me. As a general rule, I don't like putting any animal in situation where it's flight or fight, not even the littlest gecko.

I continued cycling around and came across another 7' footer, getting a little sun on top of the bank - lesson learned - I switched to the 55-300 PLM and kept a good distance back...he didn't bat an eye, but he did have a rather impressive smile .

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 

Views: 403
01-13-2022, 10:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good gator closeups. As much as I like to get closeups, getting them from a distance is often wise. Several years ago, I was taking pictures of water moccasins doing some kind of mating dance from a small flat bottom boat, and I leaning back simply because I was looking at them zoomed in. They just seemed too close. I do really like these photos.
01-13-2022, 10:49 AM   #3
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeNArk Quote
Good gator closeups. As much as I like to get closeups, getting them from a distance is often wise. Several years ago, I was taking pictures of water moccasins doing some kind of mating dance from a small flat bottom boat, and I leaning back simply because I was looking at them zoomed in. They just seemed too close. I do really like these photos.
Thanks Mike. When I saw this last guy his head was pointing inward toward the path I was on, his mouth was open a bit - cooling off I'd guess - what a cool shot that would have been! When I got off the bike he swung around and started heading for the canal then stopped as I stepped away from the bike to get a better look at him. He had no concern at all as I took a few more steps towards him. Needless to say, I felt he had the upper hand on level ground - I backed off.
01-13-2022, 10:27 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The bottom image of the smiling gator looks like your were ground level with him!
Taking pictures of gators is one thing.
Getting eye level for a portrait of one of them is something else!
Angky.

01-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #5
CBM
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angkymac Quote
The bottom image of the smiling gator looks like your were ground level with him!
Taking pictures of gators is one thing.
Getting eye level for a portrait of one of them is something else!
Angky.
It does look like I was at eye level, but I can assure you that I was standing at what I thought was a good distance from him. I have no idea what qualifies as a threat or a meal to a gator of any size so more zoom = better chance he doesn't see me as either. My wife is going to get me a 1.4x TC as a birthday present .

Anyhow, the original post was a 40% crop, so it looks like I was much closer. At 100% crop you can see the cricket on the end of his nose (though we're getting kind of grainy).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
01-14-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CBM Quote
It does look like I was at eye level, but I can assure you that I was standing at what I thought was a good distance from him. I have no idea what qualifies as a threat or a meal to a gator of any size so more zoom = better chance he doesn't see me as either. My wife is going to get me a 1.4x TC as a birthday present .

Anyhow, the original post was a 40% crop, so it looks like I was much closer. At 100% crop you can see the cricket on the end of his nose (though we're getting kind of grainy).
Wow!
Now that is an astonishing thing to look at!

I believe you must have been fairly close to that gator's level because I can see through its mouth to some greenery on the other side of him.
That indicates some good image resolution, to be far away enough to be safe while still getting such a clear image.

Congratulations on the news that your wife is supporting your image making by getting that 1.4 converter for you.
Angky.